postcard from my happy place-

russellb

Reaction score
Long couple weeks and one long hot summer. Fishing has been spotty at best, with the heat come frazzled nerves, and at times a winter-like case of the shack nasties. Don't get me wrong, I'm not pining for winter's return, just some slightly cooler weather were I won't take two steps onto my driveway and burst into flames.

Anyhow, the summer heat has taken a break and I had a chance to return to my local wild trout stream. It's small and the dry summer has brought the flow down even further. Over the past week I have fished this stream twice and naturally the day I had someone to take pictures is the day I did not catch fish of size. But that's OK by me, this place is my spot for meditation, allowing the well to fill up.

Gear wise- short 3wts and this time of the year the fly of choice was hoppers and elk hair caddis..

enjoy-

Reactions: Ard

cappy

Reaction score
Beutiful Pics, thanks so much for sharing:) Fall for us is still a month away, so I'm kinda jealous.:p[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Last edited by a moderator:

cpiercem

Reaction score
I am glad you took your "paparazzi" with you. The pictures are great. I love seeing the little baby fish too. They are so feisty and eager to grab whatever, no matter how big it is. Very nice stream.... I have fished on many that are that size and even smaller. It is hard fishing though, since the little streams are so clear and the fish so spooky. Thanks for sharing your place.

russellb

Reaction score
Thanks all- this little stream is a real jewel and it is where I learned to fly fish nearly 25 years ago. A few summers back my friend landed a 26 inch fish on a hopper, my best this year was about 14. I have seen larger but they were not interested, perhaps if we can get a little rain the higher water and increased O2 will get the larger fish moving.

But to be honest it does not really matter. With my 3wt Winston this is a great place to hone my pinpoint casting skills, stealth approaches and generally forget about the world for a while.

---------- Post added at 05:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:44 AM ----------

Beautiful Russ, the shot with all the rays of light and the cast unfurling is hard to beat!
The credit goes to my wife, she went along this day to enjoy the nice weather as well and brought her iPhone to snap some shots. Actually I had no idea just how many pictures she had taken. Apparently she knew how much I love this little stream and wanted to get some memories saved. I think she did a great job!

---------- Post added at 05:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:51 AM ----------

I am glad you took your "paparazzi" with you. The pictures are great. I love seeing the little baby fish too. They are so feisty and eager to grab whatever, no matter how big it is. Very nice stream.... I have fished on many that are that size and even smaller. It is hard fishing though, since the little streams are so clear and the fish so spooky. Thanks for sharing your place.
They are indeed quite spooky but if you don't reveal yourself the fish will eagerly take most offerings as there is very little fishing pressure. On the trip prior it was awesome to see a healthy size trout race across the pool to nab my hopper. Of course for every hopper landed in the water there are about 3 that are stuck in a tree.....:rolleyes: