Click Pawl Reel for 6 weight?

Cool Hand Hodge

Reaction score
A friend of mine just gave me a redington drift 5/6 reel. This is a nice machined click pawl style reel but im not sure if a click pawl would be ok for a 6 weight. Any ideas?

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like a winner to me, I've landed a lot of salmon using a Battenkill 3/4 clicker and could do it because of the rim. They were silvers not kings, I prefer a drag for them but when you run into them while fishing trout you do what you do.

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
The combination of you palming the rim, what little drag the reel can produce, the leverage you can put on fish with the rod, and your confidence in your rig will determine whether the system should work for you.

Just be ready for Homie to take you on a wild ride.

Dennis

Last edited:

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Not a click/ pawl, but I used a Medalist in the salt 18 years before I broke down and got my first disk drag. And that was only because I was tired of the constant maintenance. The lack of a machine drag didn't bother me one bit.
Disk drags are overrated in my book and in most cases not needed. It's a shame there's not more click/pawls on the market.

charged

Reaction score
I actually prefer a very light drag, along with a palming rim. I enjoy fishing with both click pawls, and disk drags. Several of the reels I choose to fish with are also vintage click pawls that don't even have a palming rim. It all adds to the excitement in the battle of landing a fish.

I'd just tryout the reel you have, and see how much you like it. I found this picture on the web and it looks like a serviceable reel, I'd fish it!

BigCliff

Reaction score
Not a click/ pawl, but I used a Medalist in the salt 18 years before I broke down and got my first disk drag. And that was only because I was tired of the constant maintenance. The lack of a machine drag didn't bother me one bit.
Disk drags are overrated in my book and in most cases not needed. It's a shame there's not more click/pawls on the market.
I'm sure you'll grumble at the price, but I was quite pleased to see these new click reels come out-

Hardy Ultralite CC Series Fly Reel : Fishwest Online Fly Shop

A heavily machined Hardy for under $200? Nice.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I'm sure you'll grumble at the price............
I've read that Scientific Anglers is discontinuing the System One.
I've long thought that they were one of the best reels for the money on the market,
I guess that they're not cool enough looking. :rolleyes:
Another click/pawl bites the dust

araitim

Reaction score
i second the Reddington Drift. its a machined mid arbor reel and i almost got one but got an old Argintina made Orvis istead.

tourproto

Reaction score
I've read that Scientific Anglers is discontinuing the System One.
I've long thought that they were one of the best reels for the money on the market,
I guess that they're not cool enough looking. :rolleyes:
Another click/pawl bites the dust

Bummer, that was the first reel I ever bought. Served me well for many years.

Fly2Fish

Reaction score
I actually prefer a very light drag, along with a palming rim. I enjoy fishing with both click pawls. . .QUOTE]
I'm with Charged on this. Whether it's my vintage Scientific Anglers/Hardy Marquis reels or my Battenkill Bar Stock reels, I love the sound of the click-pawls when I've got a trout on the run and the easy facility of their exposed rims for instant palm-dragging.