Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Blog Entries

Talking Breaking in the new rod with a monster!

So I received my new Allen Xa 8wt and Alpha II reel. Line hasn't showed up yet so I spooled it with some Orvis Clearwater line on the cheap. I'm having to learn casting, presentations, and even what flies to use in what situations, but mostly I have just been working on my casting (I have been using a local creek loaded with cruising carp as a moving target range). Here is the first fish I caught on the rod, a real lunker indeed!

While I caught four of these guys using a slow hand-over-hand strip retrieve a la fishing for permit, I have not had much luck overall. I have also caught my first walleye ever on the new rod, but again, this tried the scales and measured probably a whopping 5" or so?
    Somehow, despite the fact that I can't catch anything that wouldn't be used in some petty sleight-of-hand trick, I am really enjoying this! Now I just need to put a real bend in the rod!
    - A.J.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...

Default Re: Breaking in the new rod with a monster!

nice lil fish, one thing I really like about ff is you can catch alot of lil fish even if the big ones arent biting you can still have fun.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Breaking in the new rod with a monster!

Yeah, I don't think I have ever caught such tiny fish before! Now I'm just hoping I can get the bigger fish to bite too I'll let you know next time I'm in the Louisville area, I know I can get some of those Falls of the Ohio drum to crush some flies, but maybe we can do some fishing and find some bigger ones.
    - A.J.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...