Thread: The Best Fight

Default The Best Fight

I had been nymphing a favorite pool since the sun came up with only a few hits and no luck. After lunch the sun was beating down as I watched a hatch begin. A few rises and I was on my feet tying a small parachute. I get quite a few looks but no action on my dry. As the hatch dies down I switch to an emerger pattern that I touch only the tips of the hackle with flotant so that the body floats in the film but then soon sinks. I wait and watch a few casts float by when BAM! I watch as the rainbow explodes from water, I doubted at first that is was for my fly but I pull back and feel the hook set an pull this airborn fish towards the water. This is the first time I have seen a trout do this being that it is my first season out. Amazed I hold on tight with my five wt in a good bend as the fish takes some line. Two more times he explodes from the water, making quite a scene for the fellows downstream. I have not had such an exciting fight from a trout yet, and even though it was not the biggest rainbow, it put up the best fight.

Blog Entries

Default Re: The Best Fight

Way to start (?) the season in style! Great colors on the fish and in the photo. What do you think of the Lamson reel?
    - A.J.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...

Default Re: The Best Fight

Great fish and thanks for sharing! Stories like this are what makes me come back ever day!
    The best laid plans of mice and men...