Yet another 8lb trout pics

makubwa

Reaction score
Here are some pictures of yet another 8lb trout I caught the other day. Well 7lb 8oz which is not far off!

Our Fishing Photos

I am not sure on posting pictures on here, the last one did not show - any advice also?

Thanks - Do you also get brown trout in America - sure you do or?

Fish Bones

Reaction score
http://www.ourfishingphotos.com/details.php?image_id=140I am not sure on posting pictures on here, the last one did not show - any advice also?
The forum rules state that posting photos within a post is fine as long as the photo is no wider that 500pxls. The photos show up in your post as well as the home page in the center column. A large photo (wider than about 560pxls) will blow out the screen view and cause the page to load too slowly.

So, If you post a photo and later wonder why it disappeared... its probably because it was too wide and I then deleted it.

BTW... Very Nice Fish!!!

rc51sport

Reaction score
The forum rules state that posting photos within a post is fine as long as the photo is no wider that 500pxls. The photos show up in your post as well as the home page in the center column. A large photo (wider than about 560pxls) will blow out the screen view and cause the page to load too slowly.

So, If you post a photo and later wonder why it disappeared... its probably because it was too wide and I then deleted it.

BTW... Very Nice Fish!!!
Glad you said that, I wasn't aware of that rule

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Glad you said that, I wasn't aware of that rule
Please bear in mind that we no longer run on that software platform. Since this thread was started in 2007 the forum was acquired by Fish & Fly LTD and has changed operating software and servers several times. The new system automatically resizes photos to fit our parameters.

rc51sport

Reaction score
Please bear in mind that we no longer run on that software platform. Since this thread was started in 2007 the forum was acquired by Fish & Fly LTD and has changed operating software and servers several times. The new system automatically resizes photos to fit our parameters.
Thanks! I did check the dates (only on last couple of posts) to see if it was current. Lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

rfong

Reaction score
The cost to for me to fly to Wyoming and catch those 5/6 lb trout and stay with an top notched outfitter is about the same as the cost for me to go to New Zealand. It is just a matter of timely travel. A big benefit is the scenic beauty of New Zealand is considerably different than Wyoming and the thrill of stalking a huge sighted fish is exhilarating. No blind casting, accuracy is required. The Brown was weighted on a net that had a built in scale.

cpowell

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Cody: Just guessing, but your probably right. That said there is nothing wrong, if you have the money.
Can't take it with you...Might as well put it to good use.

I figured there was a good story behind that great horse...That's what I was trying to pry out of mr fong. Only 1 post and it was that thing...Give up a little love for that monster..Not just a pic and run.

rfong

Reaction score
As a new member to the forum, I didn’t want my first post be to viewed as too braggadocios. I have noted that many members prefer not to disclose the locations of their fishing success so I attempted to keep that discretion and courtesy intact.

I thought it would be appropriate to simply post the photo and let the thread flow on its own. I would be glad to supply more information if requested.

The backstory is almost as good as the fish. I’ve been fly fishing 50 years and the first time I learned to fly fish was in New Zealand in the ’70's. I now live in San Francisco and spend my summers in Montana in a log house I built on the Big Hole River. I just love to fish. I’m not always hunting for big fish, I just get a kick out of fooling Mother Nature with some feathers and fur.

My Buddy and I went to New Zealand and hired a “Rookie” guide. It was his first year working as a professional guide, but this kid knew how to fish. We already had a great day with my Buddy and I alternating on spotted fish. We had landed over a dozen beautiful Browns averaging 6-8 pounds. I even caught two on my “Home tied” Cicada pattern. But most of the fish were feeding on nymphs, tiny size 18 Mayfly nymphs varying in colors, but not size. We fished using the traditional Kiwi lambswool indicator.

We were finishing up and driving back, when our guide said, let’s try this spot that I’ve never fished. We were searching the river walking a high bank studying the water. The river was ultra clear but it was a big, wide churning river. We scanned the softer water on the edges and we stopped dead in our tracks when we saw what looked to be a LOG downstream behind a washing machine sized rock. It was not a log, it was a huge Brown trout and was in a lazy feeding pattern, swaying side to side behind the buffered current created by the rock.

As we laid on our bellies watching in amazement, we let our adrenaline rush subside and finally got the wits to develop a strategy to attempt to catch this prize. We must have spend 30 minutes watching, supposing what if’s, and finally got brave enough to attempt the catch. We had already rehearsed our fight plan and strategy if the fish ran downstream into the rapids, which it eventually did.

It was my buddy’s turn to be up, but the river conditions and brush choked bank put a right handed caster at a disadvantage. It was a 40 foot cast into the wind and we couldn’t afford to spook this fish. Luckily, for me, I cast with either hand, so my left handed cast gave me the green light.

The guide and I had to backtrack 100 yards to be able to get down to the water without disturbing the fish. My Buddy remained on the high bank to spot for us. After we got to within the 40 foot mark, to the rock we had pinpointed while studying from above, the fish looked like a submarine even down at water level. You could still see him moving within a 12” swath eating nymphs. Not once did we see him rise up to eat a natural mayfly.

We stuck to our plan of using a size 18 nymph with an olive, grey color and black bead head. This had been our go-to fly all day.

It was like a baseball pitcher working the strike zone to a batter. First pitch was intentionally high and outside. Then I zipped one low and inside, no take or even head turn on either cast. Then I went for the strike-out pitch high and tight. I cast over the rock and let the current suck the fly around the rock and right into the feeding pocket. He eased toward the fly and he was on. I didn’t even have to watch the indicator as the water was so clear I could see his slightest head movements. He immediately ran cross stream, which was 50 yards and split by a rushing tongue of rapids. I managed to work him back to our side but he was not done. His next rush took us downstream toward the rapids that we feared. We followed our strategy precisely skipping down river on predesignated rocks.

The battle concluded with a swift and accurate netting. I don't’ know who was the most excited as our guide screamed, “This fish put me on the map!” He meant he now had credence among his fellow guides with this huge fish. We weighted him and the scale unbelievably topped out a 11 1/2 pounds. I even have a close up picture of the scale reading as verification.

Summer is starting so soon and I will begin my fishing migration to Montana. I have journeyed to Wyoming many times to the S. Plat, the Wind and the Snake Rivers where we have been know to throw 6” streamers to the bank from drift boats. I love it all!

Ron

cpowell

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Now...throw in some Scenery shots with that hog and maybe a few other of those paltry 6-8 lb'rs and you're report is an A+ I think you're safe that no one will hot spot your location. :wink:

Ron, seems like you get around and put a great deal of effort into doing it right. I hope you stick to it as we love folks like yourself posting up these excellent reports to satisfy an itch that we all have. I love NZ and have yet to make it to the South Island. It is fairly high on the bucket list as momma has never been and really wants to go...I will have to go to Ireland first as this is numero uno on her list for foreign locales.

I reckon you may have a few more reports up your sleeve for us to see, read and enjoy.

All the best,

Cody

dharkin

Reaction score
Wow, great story. I don't know who I should thank, you or cpowell :D

Some people just know how to provide detail and draw you into the experience. I'll be on the Big Hole (Melrose) in October. Love that river.

Joey Bagels

Reaction score
Ditto on the photo suggestion, Ron. That post is a great intro to the forum. Add a few photos and it’s just the kind of stuff I come here for. And all the solid info on tackle, locations, technique, etc.
Thanks for posting up the goods!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rfong

Reaction score
Here are some more photos.

Some of the small streams provided the best quality fish. This one was in a difficult lie with a branch diabolically hanging overhead. It took 23 fly changes to finally ring him up. Refusal after rejection, then change to a different color. Even tried the Cicada but all he did was nose it.
NZ4 - 1.jpg

This was the picture that went all over the internet in New Zealand and put our guide on the map!
NZ3- 1.jpg

While the big fish was a thrill, these 5/6 pounders were just as heart thumping.
NZ2- 1.jpg

Next on my dream fishing list are the Deschutes River in Oregon, the Waterton, St Mary's, and Oldman rivers in Canada, then down to Montana.