Fly Drying Patch

daveny85

Reaction score
I'm just getting started in fly fishing (done the regular stuff for bass and pike all my life), and I'm slowly but surely acquiring all my gear at the lowest prices I can get...college is expensive, but at least I can take PED154/Fly Fishing to meet my Phys Ed requirement.

Anyways, the one little tidbit that has eluded me is a small fleece fly drying patch. I picked up an Orvis Convertible Tech Vest in their outlet ($80, listed at $160), only to discover it did not have the handy little fly patch. I was wondering if anyone knew where I could obtain one online. All I've been able to find is one big bulky clip-on and a multi-purpose leader-straightener/line-cleaner, and I'd much rather have one little traditional single-purpose patch.

Colorado Cajun

Reaction score
I never cared for the wool patched because you have to pick the wool out of the barb when you take the fly off. I switched to a foam one and would lose flies that would fall off because anywhere you put it, seems to be a busy spot. I ended up giving up on those and just use my fly boxes. I hope you have better success with them.

Piscator

Prospecting for Trout
Reaction score
I would have to agree with the misplaced Cajun. I now use my fly box for the same reason he does.

Here's a useful tip for you: I have a small fly box that I set aside for the specific use of putting my flies that are wet in. I have added the same little silcon packs that you find in your medication or vitamin bottles and found in some packaging. These are used to draw moisture into the packs or so they say. I usually shake my fly dry and pat it a bit with my shirt then put it in this fly box.

Hope this helps.
Thanks,
Terry

Reactor

Reaction score
You do have to pick out the wool from the barb when you re-use a fly but if you want a patch then try something inexpensive. You maybe able to sew on or glue on a patch made from and old, wool or synthetic coat liner or collar. Wool works because the barb holds the fly onto the wool, but when you want the fly you mostly rip it from the wool. If you can find a seamstress or someone that sews for a hobby I'm sure they could help you out.
You could use your hat to dry your flies.
Good Luck.

Joni

Reaction score
I agree with the wool thing and the rippled no matter where you put it. A couple of ideas,
If you wear a landyard, I have a Wine cork I put a string through and attach it to my landyard (a square piece of foam will work also, by putting a small hole in it and attaching a swivel clip)
There is also the NO RUST boxes put out by Orvis (yellow) and theyt work great.
I would say an old 35 mm film case would work, but I forget about my wet flies a lot and the cork/foam patch or the NO RUST box has helped me out a lot.

p.s. I made my little foam square out of two pieces of tying close cell foam glued together fo a little more thicker patch.

Colorado Cajun

Reaction score
I would have to agree with the misplaced Cajun.
*LOL* I like that! Sometimes I feel really misplaced here on days like today when the snow won't quit. But I still love it! The funny thing, being on the river fishing when the snow is falling feels so right. Man, I should be on the river right now instead of working. I bet the BWO's are coming off the water in droves.

I get a taste of home (old home) tomorrow. One of my brothers is coming in tomorrow and he is bring me a sack of live crawfish in an ice chest. We are going to have a crawfish boil!:frogdance

My other hobby is riding my motorcycle. Louisiana don't come anywhere close to Colorado for the sights and roads.

One other tidbit of advice on drying your flies so they don't all rust, when you get home, open all your boxes, even if you have one you didn't use that day but took it, and let them dry out over night. That is the only action I take and never had any problems with anything showing signs of rust.

ezamora

Reaction score
simms offers a black replacement foam fly patch, the same design their vests use(d). i think it has velcro on the back and includes the other half of velcro for placement. i was about to say you can find it in fly shops in a small clear packet for $5, but maybe it was $12. good luck. i don't like the traditional fleece either.

eric
fresno, ca.

daveny85

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I know the whole wool thing (mostly from forums), but I'd like to supplement the dessicant with a good hand-dry. Because with thirty bucks' worth of flies in every box...well, you know.

As for a lanyard, I tried one for twenty minutes while bass fishing. Nothing big...a pair of little hemostats and a line clipper. Absolutely hated it. Tried a super El Cheapo Vest from Orvis that had five pockets, found that I loved it. So I went for the hell-and-gone vest that I'm STILL finding pockets on.

Do you guys think that if I get a small, flat magnetic plate and shape a piece of wood so it'll fit around the magnet and make a high rim around the outside. My thought is that the rim will make it harder for a fly to be knocked off by a shirtsleeve or a piece of brush or whatever.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
daveny85,

Here is a magnetic fly patch that you might like. It is about 10 bucks.

There use to be an aluminum fly box I think they called the "Fly Trap" It pinned to the front of your vest. It had a lid and slits for air circulation. If you can find one it would do just want you want.

ezamora

Reaction score
i think there might already be a magnetic plate design in a flip top box which is attached to any fabric you might be wearing, wether a shirt, jacket or vest. not that you shouldn't create your own, but just in case you'd rather just buy one. can't recall the name, sorry.

eric
fresno, ca.

Troutnut

Reaction score
I would go with rippled foam rather than wool, too. Wool loses too many flies for me, and I've lost some tiny ones IN it for weeks.