Old Vest or New Vest, that is the question

Keep the Old or Use the new-

• Use the old one- it has character and likely the smell will keep crowds away.

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • Use the new one- the old one is nasty.

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • makes no difference.....

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Jesus, that dog is big.

Votes: 5 27.8%

• Total voters

russellb

Reaction score
This past season I scored a new Patagonia SST for a deeply discounted price and because my ancient Patagonia waders gave out and I got some Simms G3s I look like I just stepped out of the fly shop.

The last holdout of my 1990's vintage gear is my very faded and worn Patagonia vest. Last summer I found the exact vest on eBay from a fisherman that purchased it new in the 90's but never used it. I scored it for a mere 30 bucks.

So the questions is- Keep the vest that is near thread bare and near death or use the shiny new one regardless of the loss of character and "experienced" aura.

old-

new-

group shot with special guest appearance by Daisy:D

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I am always slow to put new stuff into use. It's an old guy thing I think, you get used to something and changing to a new model is often something that faces subliminal blocks. I figure you'll keep using the old one until you feel comfortable using the new one. When that time comes........... you may not even know but it'll come.

I just took a second look at the photos; we obviously have different views of "thread bare" the old one has another 10 years or so left in it :biggrin:

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I've been using the same LLBean trout vest since the late '70s
It's shrunk a little since then ;), but I won't be using a different one anytime soon

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Using the original will offset your discomfort steming from wearing the new Simms waders. I'm sure the fish could care less, but I do believe most of us are more confident wearing faded and stained classics. Save the new one for when you actually need it.

russellb

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm just not ready to let the old one go yet, even if I have to rub on the velcro to get the pockets to stick:D

This vest has been there for-
My biggest steelhead, salmon, brook trout. I landed a 30 inch rainbow on an elk hair caddis while wearing this vest. I'm sure I have set records for the most chubs caught on a steelhead trip while wearing this vest and the most micro trout caught. This vest stood patiently by while I successfully angled a bullfrog- it was a slow day and I might have had some scotch in the pocket of said vest.... I walked miles of rivers in many states with this one. I'll put the new up for later.

Noiso

Reaction score
I've been using the same vest for 12+ years. Never washed it, never will. Well I might wash it if certain substances get on it somehow. I got it for about $10 bucks or so at a cheapie store. Fits good, has plenty of pockets and I know where everything is. I don't think it stinks either - my gal never complains anyway.
Same with my hat - a cheap khaki colored ball cap. I am rather proud of the streamside blackberry stains on it!

rockriver

Reaction score
I've been using the same vest since the mid 1970's or a few years earlier. Still in good shape, made in the U.S.A., and works great. What's to replace?

dean_mt

Reaction score
Interesting since they are the exact same vest...personally, I'd stick with the oldie until it just doesn't work anymore. Then you can load the new one and not even miss a beat, knowing where everything is, just where it always has been, and just start breaking the new guy!

I wore my first pair of waders - Red Ball boot foots, until I might as well have just worn jeans. That is what they felt like. The knee went thread bare and after a couple attempts at fixing a hole I made a patch by saturating a bandana with shoe goo, pressing it onto the wader and then gooping the hell out of the whole thing. That worked. But the I scrapped on a stick and ripped half the leg away from the boot top...and had to make 3 river crossings to get back to my rig!

So sometimes you pay for the sentimental attachment to things.

jcw355

Reaction score
I would use it till it fell apart, then use the "new" one. Mine is falling apart so I went the distance and got a new one.

L

Liphookedau

Hi all.
I've had a quite few Vests over the years as most have shrunk as the years have progressed.
I still have a Vest with all the gear which I hardly use as we all mostly carry a Small backpack to carry a waterproof Jacket & some gear.
Also I found The Wading Jackets excellent when Fishing in the Colder areas,the trouble with them is they have too many pockets for you to shove junk into.
The Chest Packs also look a good proposition,the smaller the better,less weight to hump around.
However if I was going to wear one it would be "The Old One" that's if it still fits,as I wouldn't want to look like a New Chum.

fyshstykr

Reaction score
I'm old school too and would keep wearing the old one until it's done.
The new one needs to be rolled around in a cement mixer and a shovel full of pea gravel for a bit to get broke in.:D

I also just got a new pair of Simms and feel rather "newish", thinking about rubbing a bunch of mud all over them. They sure are nice though.

hardhat

Reaction score
I switched vest for a short period of time. I went back to the old as I liked the features better, and could find things faster/easier.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
When I get any new clothing it always ends up rubbed into the ground or any place I can find some dirt. A stain or two also helps. I would never go into the woods with a new anything without breaking it in.

Frank

gt05254

Reaction score
Be it bird hunting or fly fishing togs, I'm big on spares. That is, let's say I have a vest (for either pasttime) that I love. One day, it will literally fall off my shoulders. So, I maintain a constant vigil for duplicates. When I find one, I buy it, and hang it in the closet for the day it's needed. My well-buried point is that I really don't like much of what is being produced these days in the way of "technical" sporting attire (who the heck ever came up with that marketing ploy?) so when I find a new old stock item that I like, I snatch it up.

Everyone that knows me knows how much I dislike change. Buying spares is my little insurance program that helps me keep changes to a minimum.

Curmudgeonly yours,
Gary

troutslayer

Reaction score
Personally I would use the newer one and start putting some character on that one but I understand using the old tried and trusted one too for nostalgic reasons. Yu know where everything is without even looking. I know about those velcro pockets, I'm having the same trouble with mine right now.