Guided trip and how to tip the guide?

gordon in nc

Reaction score
Hi all,

Have my FIRST guided fly fishing trip coming up in a few weeks. It will be a DAY trip with lunch provided.

What is the "norm" for trips of this nature in Tipping the guide for his services?

Thanks!!

Gordon in NC

whalensdad

Reaction score
I'm going to ask the question here instead of going back to one of the other threads. After reading through all of them a question keeps coming up in my mind. What am I paying for when I hire a guide that I also have to give them a tip? I pay for their time, experience, knowledge etc. I hope they are giving me their best. If not, I won't go back. If so I would consider booking again.
I tip in restaurants because they make minimum wage. I tip the valet so they take care of my car (again they are probably making minimum wage). The guide is hopefully setting a high enough price that he is making a nice profit that I shouldn't have to tip. Am I missing something???

Reaction score
I'm going to ask the question here instead of going back to one of the other threads. After reading through all of them a question keeps coming up in my mind. What am I paying for when I hire a guide that I also have to give them a tip? I pay for their time, experience, knowledge etc. I hope they are giving me their best. If not, I won't go back. If so I would consider booking again.
I tip in restaurants because they make minimum wage. I tip the valet so they take care of my car (again they are probably making minimum wage). The guide is hopefully setting a high enough price that he is making a nice profit that I shouldn't have to tip. Am I missing something???
Im with you here on this one...

mikel

Reaction score
Then don't tip your guides. It's your gig and there are nearly as many opinions as fishermen. If you want to know what most guys think about how much and under what circumstances, then read the threads and the info is there.

whalensdad

Reaction score
I'm just trying to understand why most people feel that they should tip and why they don't feel that they already "paid" for the service upfront.

williamhj

Reaction score
I have a few theories on it.

One is that guides that work through fly shops have a chunk of the money go to the shop. This could be totally false, but I've gotten a sense that some shops have a bunch of guides they draw from who might not be on salary, but who get a % of the guide charge made through the shop, so the tip is meant to go directly to the guide to supplement their %. Perhaps someone will disabuse me of this idea.

A second is that the tip is a dynamic part of the payment - guides that do well get more. It's a way of showing appreciation for a good experience. The fee you pay covers the hours out, equipment used, etc etc, but the tip related to more intangible parts of the experience. I was with a guide last month and he was a great guy and a great teacher in addition to getting us to fish, knowing what flies to use, , etc, etc.

I also wonder if the fees they charge assume some level of tip will be given. That is to say, if there was a big movement to not tip, the fees would go up. I'd guess this happens in restaurants, the wages assume tips. If there weren't tips, the wages (thus prices) would have to rise to keep people willing to do the work for the money they get paid.

I could be wrong, but those are my thoughts.

HuronRiverDan

Reaction score
The equipment you're using, drift boat, rods and reels, flies, etc, has to be paid for along with insurance, both property and liability; plus license fees to guide. If he's working out of a shop he gets a percentage of what your trip cost, tips help him pay his expenses.

Dan

whalensdad

Reaction score
The equipment you're using, drift boat, rods and reels, flies, etc, has to be paid for along with insurance, both property and liability; plus license fees to guide. If he's working out of a shop he gets a percentage of what your trip cost, tips help him pay his expenses.

Dan
I guess that makes sense, but does the same apply for an independent guide where he keeps all the funds?

Lee

williamhj

Reaction score
As I think someone else said, if you don't want to tip the guide you don't have to. My experience of guides has been great folks who are knowledgeable and helpful and able to work with people of varying skill levels. We were happy to tip them for their great service.

jack crack jones

Reaction score
I'm gonna weigh in on this as someone who has thought about hiring a guide, but hasn't yet. When I look at the prices for one day (usually listed as 8 hrs), they average about 250-300 for one person. This ends up at $31.25 - $37.50 per hour for them. While I understand some pick you up, many meet you at a destination. Even if they pick you up, that's like paying them to come to work. I know I don't get paid to drive to my job.

I'd love to hear some honest input from guides as to what their profit margins really are, and how much they are netting so I could determine what it's all worth. Anyone want to share that info?

That said, I'd love to also hear from people who were new to fly fishing and what their experience was on a guided trip.

I've got no problem with tipping, but it seems like the rates for a one day, one person guided trip are fairly substantial anyway, so please....give me ideas on why I would add to that cost.

fishnskiguy

Reaction score
I guided for three shops over seven years. On a half day trip where the shop charged $250 for one person, I got $37.50. On a full day trip for two where the shop charged $450. I got $80.

That's about standard throughout the West. Guides get paid about like waiters. Tips are critical to making a living.

Chris

montanawildoutdoors

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Dan
This is exactly correct. For instance in a restaurant, the server not only is getting paid minimum wage, but they must tip the kitchen, bartender, buser, and host. So if you were to not tip on your food, the SERVER WOULD ACTUALLY LOSE MONEY! Just like most guides, they have plenty of expenses on top of the amount of hours they spend guiding you. If you can't tip don't go on guided trips!

Bigfly

Reaction score
Until someone has walked through fire, they have no idea how hot it can get....
Guiding involves serious work (and I've worked construction, farming, newspaper, etc.), in-spite of the fact we're just going fishing.
Serious costs as well.
Try buying enough equipment for a small group, Sage rods and Simm's non-leaking waders, Galvin reels, many flies/leaders, a reliable vehicle, boat, Ins. GAS, etc......That's what you pay for.
To me, tips are for the special stuff. After you go with a few guides, you'll understand.
Not all are created equal.
Maybe alertly saving you from swimming, or producing a rain jacket for an unexpected shower, perhaps fixing your recalcitrant cast, chasing your hat down stream, and much much more.
As an independent guide, I don't work for tips, but I've learned not to turn them down....
Just like guides, clients run the gamut of types.
A good example for me was early this year.
Did a half day trip with three guys, ran myself silly, they all caught fish. No tip.
Second half, was an older couple, and only she fished.
I found a big riser and we tried hard. She missed his take, and that was it on the day.
She had never seen hunting a big fish before. Boy was she stoked!
I got a nice tip, then they took me out to dinner at a place I couldn't normally visit.
Later, she emailed me, that she wanted to send some duck feathers from a hunt.
If I had scheduling conflict in the future, and had to make a choice between the two groups next time....
Guess which trip I'd remember more.
Don't stress too much. Just remember, a little love goes a long way.

jim

Last edited: