7.5' 3wt Recommendations

txbevo

Reaction score
I am looking for recommendations on a shorter (7.5') 3wt to use on smaller mountain streams chasing brookies and cutts that can also double as a sunfish rod for here at home in Texas. I would like it to be a 4 piece as I would like to use it on day hikes. I currently have med-fast to fast action rods in other weights (BIIX, Helios and Scott A3). While I like high end rods, I am not looking to break the bank with this 3wt. It will most likely get the least use out of my arsenal as I only get to the mountains a time or two a year and the wind here is normally too much for using a 3wt on a daily basis. I would like to hear what you guys recommend.

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
I threw a few soft hackles last weekend with my girlfriend's Redington Classic Trout 7'6" 3 weight. If you can match your stroked to the medium action, you may like this rod. My girlfriend prefers medium to medium-fast action rods. She is in love with her rod.

I spent about 10 minutes with her rod. Once I adjusted my timing, I was able to lay down some soft presentations. I also caught a couple of dinky trout (8 inchers). Fighting those dinky fish with that light of a rod was fun.

Best of all, you can get the rod for $129 or an outfit with a Redington Drift reel and Rio Mainstream line and backing for $279.

I have not thrown dry flies yet. I plan on doing a full review of that rod, once she lets me use it again. I'd like to spend more than 10 minutes with it.

MP

raindogt

Reaction score
No recommendations from me--more a little 'advise'...

If you have the means, don't 'skimp' on a rod because 'it will see the least amount of use'.

While a 3 wt. is tough(ish) in the wind, you'll find that they are just so darned fun! :D

I actually have a 1 wt. that never sees the water anymore-- ever since I picked up my 3 wt (a cabelas three forks, 7'6")-- while it is nothing special, it doesn't have the downsides that my 1 wt. does (did), and it is a boat load of fun with just about any fish n the other end.

I just want to express that I was on your page about 'not much use', and it is fast becoming my go to rig for sunnies and LM.

FrankB2

Reaction score
I'd love to read your thoughts on the Redington CT, Dennis. Go fishing... :D

While I haven't fished it, the St. Croix Avid 7'9" 3wt seemed like a true 3wt when I wiggled at the shop. It's a bit longer than you mentioned, but nothing's perfect. ;)

Pocono

Reaction score
My favorite all-around 7'6' 3 wt. is my Sage ZXL. I use it for small creek fishing (mostly Brookies) all the time. It's a 4 piece rod, so it breaks down into a small rod tube that I have no trouble sticking into my backpack for a good walk up into a headwaters section. Action is medium-fast; with the emphasis on medium. Quality is very good.

Pocono

fishtacos

Reaction score
I'm very happpy with my TFO pro series 7.5ft 3wt. You'll notice I tout TFO products thoughout and that's because I'm a big fan. They are made over seas but for that price point, pretty much everything is. For what you're paying, you're getting a great deal.

Also maybe wait for Justin to get the allen fly rods out. I bought a reel recently and it looks awesome. Honestly, not sure how he can afford to sell them so cheap.

BigCliff

Reaction score
I threw a few soft hackles last weekend with my girlfriend's Redington Classic Trout 7'6" 3 weight. If you can match your stroked to the medium action, you may like this rod. My girlfriend prefers medium to medium-fast action rods. She is in love with her rod.

I spent about 10 minutes with her rod. Once I adjusted my timing, I was able to lay down some soft presentations. I also caught a couple of dinky trout (8 inchers). Fighting those dinky fish with that light of a rod was fun.

Best of all, you can get the rod for $129 or an outfit with a Redington Drift reel and Rio Mainstream line and backing for $279.

I have not thrown dry flies yet. I plan on doing a full review of that rod, once she lets me use it again. I'd like to spend more than 10 minutes with it.

MP
I'd also recommend the CT. I've been fishing the 8.5' 5wt and like it quite alot. I think the fact that it comes with a great tube at that low price is another important point. My review- http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/gear-reviews/13863-redington-ct-classic-trout.html

axle27

Reaction score
Just my opinion, but 7'6" still might be a bit long for small stream fishing. I fish either a 6'6" or a 7' 3wt. The 7' is my backup.

---------- Post added at 11:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 AM ----------

ozark,

I'd say a 6wt would do you just nicely.

FrankB2

Reaction score

jcw355

Reaction score
I am looking for recommendations on a shorter (7.5') 3wt to use on smaller mountain streams chasing brookies and cutts that can also double as a sunfish rod for here at home in Texas. I would like it to be a 4 piece as I would like to use it on day hikes. I currently have med-fast to fast action rods in other weights (BIIX, Helios and Scott A3). While I like high end rods, I am not looking to break the bank with this 3wt. It will most likely get the least use out of my arsenal as I only get to the mountains a time or two a year and the wind here is normally too much for using a 3wt on a daily basis. I would like to hear what you guys recommend.
I bet you fish the LMF below Broken Bow lake. I use a TFO 3wt rod pretty much all the time now. I have a 5wt too but like my 3 more. It is a 7' 6" 4 piece rod. Good warranty to boot and the rod will run you around $150.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Im kinda new to flyfishing and am wondering what a 7.5 3wt would be best used for?
It would primarily be a small stream rod delicately tossing dries and small nymphs (typical of what you would find on small mountain streams). As the casting gets constrained due to overhanging brush you would want to go with a shorter fly rod.

Larry

flyguys

Reaction score
It is good to use anywhere that you are not going to have alot of room to cast. Overhead and side bruh or anything ele that might make it a tight squeze.

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Hi Cliff,
I hope you know I value your opinion and review of the Redington CT. I just want to hear what Dennis has to say about the smaller version.
Sorry, guys. Took the girlfriend stillwater fishing at a stocked lake today. When the Calibaetis mayflies started popping, she would not give up her 3 weight CT. She was having too much fun throwing soft hackles at 12 inch stockers.

MP

blacktail53

Reaction score
I just picked up one of the TFO 4 pc 3 weights and an Okuma SLV 2/3.
She's loaded with RIO wf f and ready to fish.
I hope to give it a work out on Oregon's, East Lake over the fourth.