Proper Stream Educate

araitim

Reaction score
alot of people dont know proper stream educate. Id like to hear about some things new-be's should think about while on the stream. I for instance over this past week was confronted by a guide who had stoped for lunch and moved off to the shore to cook and eat so i moved within 100ft of his hole. I told him "your eating, not fishing. ill move when your done, im not here to beat anyone up just to fish" then i asked to see his chuck n duck snaging rig, and he walked me back to the boat and showed me. was i out of line or was he?

littledavid123

Reaction score
Why would he be out of line, you encroached upon him and asked to see his rig and he obliged. If a guy is on a hole and is sitting down, I consider the hole to still be his and he is resting the fish. If I wanted to fish the hole, I might ask if he was resting the fish and let his answer determine whether I ask permission to fish there or not.

Sure it's a free river and I could do as I please, but then again that guy/gal would never associate my face with being a gentleman.

Dave

russellb

Reaction score
- on crowded water look around and see what is customary- then be better than that.

- if you are fishing a run that is shared by several anglers and you snag the bottom, break it off.

- when walking the stream watch for people's backcasts, and when you're fishing watch for people behind you.

- be helpful, if someone asks for advice or what is working let them know, in most cased there is plenty of fish to go around.

- if you are in a drift boat and you come up to some shoals that are being fished, get out of the boat so you can quietly move the boat close to the bank and not disturb the other anglers.

- when someone has a big fish on, reel in and get out of their way.

- watch your language. you may talk like a sailor around your friends but there are people that are on the river for a meditative moment and find it disturbing to hear the f-bomb dropped every time you miss a fish.

- if you have a flask of single malt scotch (preferably Glenmorangie) and you see me offer to share:D

swampdonkey

Reaction score
I don't necessarily think you were in the wrong, although it depends on where your fishing. I have been to a couple rivers this year that were literally combat fishing. Normally I will only fish in locations where seeing someone else is encroachment in my eyes. Needless to say I didn't stay long nor will I probably go back to those locations. Waiting in line to fish depletes the experience for me but it is common on some rivers. If this is the case then I don't really think it's appropriate for someone to back off the hole for lunch and then expect it to remain their position. Of course I would probably ask prior to be courteous but I think the way you handled it was just.

araitim

Reaction score
littledavid, am i to understand that you must remain greater than 100ft from someone who stops fishing, breaks out 2 grills and starts to cook steak? mind you this is during a salmon run where the salmon are only on the gravel and so many that they are bumping into you. i guess if you find a hot spot of gravel you move right in the middle of it to claim all 200 ft of the water (100 up stream 100 down) and run anyone off that touches it. i too don't have the look of a victim.

i intended on leaving when they got back on the water but the guide approached me,and he walked right through the fish. looking back i probably should have asked but then again........

Last edited:

ausablebrown

Reaction score
Proper Stream "Etiquette":

1. If you're in a boat, reel in and float by.
2. If your're wading up or downstream and come across another person; get out, pass on shore. Reenter at least 100' downstream. Unless currents prohibit this, then apologize profusely for being a nuisance.
3. If your'e not sure if you should wade or cast there, THEN YOU SHOULDN'T!
4. Pick up your trash!
5. Help out when you see folks that dont' know what they are doing.
6. Don't make a commotion to close to anyone elses fishing spot.

7. This is really pretty easy; just be curteous, polite, and charitable.

I'm sure I missed some, but generally "do unto others" works on the stream just like it does in the rest of the world.

Oh, yeah...get out of the way of canoes...they can be hard to steer around stubborn fly fisherman.

littledavid123

Reaction score
littledavid, am i to understand that you must remain greater than 100ft from someone who stops fishing, breaks out 2 grills and starts to cook steak? mind you this is during a salmon run where the salmon are only on the gravel and so many that they are bumping into you. i guess if you find a hot spot of gravel you move right in the middle of it to claim all 200 ft of the water (100 up stream 100 down) and run anyone off that touches it. i too don't have the look of a victim.

i intended on leaving when they got back on the water but the guide approached me,and he walked right through the fish. looking back i probably should have asked but then again........

Yes...:) To the first two sentences

Would I run anyone off for asking or not, NO, it's a free river. I listed my code of conduct as if it were I who walked upon the guide on shore

Dave