i wanna build a fly rod this winter

caseywise

Reaction score
one of my winter projects is to build myself a custom rod.
i'm looking at a 3 weight 8 ft, give or take a few inches.
if any one has any recommendations it would be greatly appreciated

casey

williamhj

Reaction score
Two comments and a question:

1. Do it! It's a wonderful addiction to add onto fly fishing
2. Check out the Rod Building Forum Rod Building (Powered by Invision Power Board) Lots of very helpful folks there, from people who are just starting to people who build professionally and can help answer your questions.

And, do you have a price range for the blank? I've built Batson RX6 and RX7's, Matrix, Sevier, and one from Roger on ebay. None of them cost too much - budget limitations. I love my 7'6" 3wt.

troutdoorsman

Reaction score
Building rods can be very fun and frustrating. I build my first fly rod and have built 4 rods for other people since just because it's so rewarding to me. I bought most of the building supplies from Madison River Fishing Company - Ennis, Montana and I believe J Stockard has a bunch of stuff too. As fred said the handle sucks to do if you shape your own. Buy it already formed.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I'd recommend building from a kit for your first rod and Hook & Hackle is a good place to find one.
I'd also recommend NOT buying any special rod building tools, at least at first. You can do just as well wrapping your guides with the blank perched on a cardboard box and turning the rod by hand as the finish sets up.

rapman

Reaction score
I just finished my first 2 builds. Wasn't as satisfying as I had hoped. Actually, I found it pretty tedious - particularly wrapping the guides.

Having said that, I'll probably do it again. The cost-savings alone make it worthwhile, it wasn't overly difficult and adding another rod to the quiver is never a bad thing.:)

jcw355

Reaction score
I saw a guy, while fly fishing, who took a long stick and put a piece string on it and was flinging it like a flyrod, instant fly rod. It wasn't fishing line either, it was like nylon rope, he didn't catch anything. I wish I had taken a video because it was unbelievable. I thought does he really think he is going to catch something beating the water like that.

kayo

Reaction score
Casey

I built my first rod in 1992 using the book "The Custom Graphite Fly Rod Design and Construction" by Skip Morris. Old but a great book (still have the book). It was a Sage 690 RPL 2 piece blank. Still my favorite rod today. Good luck

chuck

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
Two thoughts:

The handle is the biggest pain in the .. well you know where.

Goggle "Angler's Workshop" in Woodland, Wash ... if you need it, they sell it.
fae
Angler's workshop does have some great stuff. While I agree with Fred on both points, there is something to be said about making a really nice handle. They can be really spendy though. Good cork that does not need filler has become very expensive. Nice wood fit for a fly rod is not cheap either. My favorite rod I ever made for myself is my Meiser. I don't even want to admit how much money I sank into just the handle, or how much time I put into it but it was worth it. Pain in the butt or not.

P.S. If you need any help with it, just ask.

caseywise

Reaction score
Casey

I built my first rod in 1992 using the book "The Custom Graphite Fly Rod Design and Construction" by Skip Morris. Old but a great book (still have the book). It was a Sage 690 RPL 2 piece blank. Still my favorite rod today. Good luck

chuck

thanks chuck!

williamhj

Reaction score
I've made my own cork grips. I haven't found the process to be too bad, though it is some work and a lot of cork dust flying off the sand paper - a lot of it is an outside job.

There are a few things I like about DIYing the grips: One is that it's a part of the rod build I can realistically do myself (unlike snake guides or a graphite blank) so for me it fits with building a rod myself. A second is that I've realized that I don't like how thin pre-made grips tend to be. I like the grip to be a bit thicker so I can custom shape it for my hand's comfort. And a third is that I can use rubberized and burl cork to make the grip look as I want. I know many people don't bother with making the grip and that's fine, those are my reasons for doing it.

If you're interested in making yours, I make mine with things I can get from Lowes in addition to the cork rings and would be happy to explain my process if it would help.

wt bash

Reaction score
I just breathed life into an old rod that I had never used and now I can't put it down. If you're looking to do a 3wt I would suggest glass, be it Lami, Steffan Bro's, Paddock or whom ever theres alot of wicked stuff going down in the glass world these days. Take your time and DEFINITELY invest in a drying motor!!!

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
Nice work Diver Dan.
Thanks. Actually the top and bottom sides look even better because og the type of wood I used. It has much more interesting grain viewed from that side. this isn't the best photo but it shows the grain better. Leopard wood. By the way, there is no fill in that cork. You pay for what you get and trust me, that was not cheap cork.

oarfish

Reaction score
Yes you do get what you pay for, good cork won't chip out or break when its getting shaped. I haven't put a rod together in a while but I'm due, got down one of my rod building boxes and located my cork vise and manderals, reamers and completed the parts and thread inventory so I'm ready to go except for the blank and thats # 1 on my christmas list from my wife, well see if she gets the Z. She's put a hold on any new gear purchases untill the holidays have passed, if she only knew.

Rick

---------- Post added at 06:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:29 PM ----------

Clean looking 6wt Kayo.

Rick

Last edited: