Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: steelhead nymphing rig

Default steelhead nymphing rig

What is your favorite rig for nymphing steelhead? Usualy 3 to 8 foot pools are where i have caught steelhead in my rivers. How do you like to tapper your leader (length per section, dia.)? I want to use a thingamabobber with about a 9 foot leader and have a heavy nymph with a plastic bead (slamon roe) as a trailer, how does that sound?

Default Re: steelhead nymphing rig

I dont really care for nymph fishing myself so i generally dont unless i am really wanting to catch a fish when all others techniques fail. That being said, your set up is generally the same style used by those i fish around and a common technique on local waters. More often there is a double nymph set up.

Blog Entries

Here's how I look at technique.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPD8L-AzLV0]Steelhead Nymphing vs Swinging Flys.mp4 - YouTube[/ame]

If I really want to nymph fish, here is how I would rig my indo-rig.

From floating fly line:

2-3 feet .024" mono butt section tied to a swivel. Indicator is attached to the butt section.

5 foot section of 10 pound test Maxima Ultragreen. One end tied to the swivel. One end tied to a tippet ring.

2 foot section of 8 pound test Maxima Ultragreen. One end tied to tippet ring. One end tied to fly.

If I choose a dropper, a 1 foot section of 8 pound test Maxima Ultragreen is attached to the tippet ring with whatever dropper fly I choose.

I usually do not fish two flies.

Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
    I wasnt passing judgement in anyway, just personal preference. I know there are a lot of fly fishermen who do look down their noses at nymphing, but that isnt me. Frankly, i find it kinda a pain in the @$$. It is a chore to cast and i havent gotten down stack mending yet. One of my fishing buddies has a lot of success nymphing and loves to do it. Meh, just not my style.

I like to catch fish and it is exciting when i do, but i am out to have a good time on the water in a great setting. If i have to engage in a technique i dont personally like just to catch a fish, well, more often than not i will just pass and not catch a fish. I will still go home happy though.

It hasnt stopped me from buying a big pile of nymphs to fill up my boxes with though. lol

Ha true. I am just so used to catching 20-30 trout a day on my silly little parachute adams. I have only caught 2 steelhead on the fly though i have only gone one time with someone who knows how to catch them. So once i got the easy way down i will probably scandinavian cast it up.

Check out the video above your comment it is funny as hell.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by iciclecreek View Post
    Check out the video above your comment it is funny as hell.
    I prefer the swing, but I will indo-bob-nymph if I have to.

That guy has a whole series of those Xtranormal videos. They are hilarious.

Dennis

Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border

I've seen this video before. I loved it.

8. Default Re: steelhead nymphing rig

Quote Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post

Steelhead Nymphing vs Swinging Flys.mp4 - YouTube

If I really want to nymph fish, here is how I would rig my indo-rig.

From floating fly line:

2-3 feet .024" mono butt section tied to a swivel. Indicator is attached to the butt section.

5 foot section of 10 pound test Maxima Ultragreen. One end tied to the swivel. One end tied to a tippet ring.

2 foot section of 8 pound test Maxima Ultragreen. One end tied to tippet ring. One end tied to fly.

If I choose a dropper, a 1 foot section of 8 pound test Maxima Ultragreen is attached to the tippet ring with whatever dropper fly I choose.

I usually do not fish two flies.

Dennis
    I also use this method. Make my own 7ft mono tapered leader add a barrel swivel then tie on 2 or so ft of flourocarbon 8 or 6lb to make it 9ft give or take. add split shot depending on depth you fish and then your fly(usually egg patterns) and a adjustable indicator so you can just tick the bottom without snagging. Also a neat tip I will share. I use this in shallower water. No indicator at all! Use the tip of your fly line as the indicator. I just cast, mend and dead drift the speed of the river and if you see your fly line stop suddenly, jerk or look unnatural then set the hook! I catch alot of steel in the spring this way.
    "Hey, you.Get your damn hands off my herl !!!!"

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.

Dennis, thanks for the video...a good laugh to start the day...

As far as nymphing goes, I rig a 2 fly set-up. Leader is 9 to 10 foot, with a dropper tyed in where the tippet is attached. Usually put and egg pattern on the dropper and a small stone or caddis larvae on the point. Add enough split shot to tick the gravel and I'm good to go...If I'm in a spot that has a lot of rubble that I'm snagging up on I'll add an indicator for depth control.

Dan