Looking for technical data on a Sage 503L and 504L reels

russellb

Reaction score
Ive been searching the interwebs for a bit now and I'm coming up empty handed. I pretty much know everything about these reels such as maker (Hardy) and line/backing capacity but I really need to know their weight in grams or ounces.

Im posting this in the UK as well as US forums, if anyone can point me in the right direction I would certainly appreciate it. I have a Sage 4711 LL that I want to pair a period correct Sage reel to it the weight is right.:D

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Russ,

When an internet search comes up dry the only way I can think of is to put these items on a 'watch list' on the auction site and when they come available contact the seller and ask the weight. Once you establish that the reel is the right weight and condition you can be the buyer. In the meantime I would take the rod and using your own reels and those of any fishing friends try to establish what will provide the weight you want. If the reel has line on board you can string it up and see how the whole thing feels. This all hinges on being able to determine the 'dry weight' of the test reels so you can find the proper Sage on sale.

The exit strategy would be a mint CFO in proper size. It appears that they are more available and in a pinch a nice old CFO makes a good match to darn near any rod.

russellb

Reaction score
Thats good advice Ard and certainly a CFO would be a great choice. My other thought is that when my Hardy Featherweight arrives to check its balance on the Sage. If it works weight wise I might just save some money and pick up a spare spool, seems like they are only about 95 bucks.

The reel that will come off the Sage is a mint Tibor Spring Creek CL that is done in two tone. The spool is gold and the frame is black- sort of a reverse Billy Pate scheme. As I have no current use for the Tibor I might put it on the market.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Too bad we didn't have this chat a few years back, I sold 2 Featherweight spools. I still have 2 and use the reel on both my 3 weight flea and 5 weight Far & Fine. In 1979 I bought 3 extra spools for 25 dollars each, imagine that, now your looking at 95.

The CFO reels are just plain nice gear and will make any good rod a better rod so you can't go wrong either way I guess.

ellisc

Reaction score
Hi Russell,

This discussion came up in a search for information on the Sage 503L. I have one and would be willing to sell or trade for a Hardy Featherweight - if you're still interested. Send me PM and I'd be happy to send you pictures.

As for the 503L, it's a sweet little reel. I've had some big, fat and feisty Kamloops trout on the reel and it performs just fine despite the manufacturing snafu and some negative comments I've found on other discussion boards. Yes, it is teeny tiny but the palming rim allows good control on a hot fish. Plus, it's got that great Hardy sound. I have it matched up with very special Peter McVey 7'2" 4# cane rod. I think I want to replace it with a Hardy Featherweight in good condition which was what I was originally looking for when I bought the rod several years ago. A local shop owner at that time had this 503L in his "vintage gear" display case and talked me out of a pretty beat up Featherweight by giving me a darn good deal on the 503L. I think he just wanted to get rid of it and there weren't too many customers darkening his door looking for an ultralight reel. Anyways, if you're not interested please let me know because I'm thinking about posting it on ebay.

Cheers,

Ellis