question on backing.

GeorgeMcFly

Reaction score
I have been trying to learn all i can about fly fishing lately. my question really isn't for me to know but for my cousin. he went to gander mountain today and this guy was in the fly fishing sectiion and tried to tell my cousin you can use regular 20 lb mono fishing line for your backing. but i kno u r suppose to use dacron braided backing instead. why would someone say its ok to use this? maybe it would work but why not do it right instead of jimmy rig your stuff? i try to tell my cousins how to cast better and mend ther drags and what nymphs and flies to use and i try to pass on all the knowledge i learn from all the forums i read and all books and videos and they look at me like i am wrong and don't have a clue about anything like don't know what i am talking about. they tell me how we need bigger nymphs and flies because size 12 or 14 hooks can't be big enough to catch a big fish but in my steelhead guide they show guys catching steelies on a number 14 pheasent tail.and they they say how this or that fly or nymph won't work because the person who told me to use it lives out of state or some crap. i try and try to explain but all i get a blank expressions on there face. now this guy tells them the opposite of what i read on the forums over and over about u using regular line instead of backing but i am wrong now because this guys older and stuff so automatically hes right. they never read anything about fly fishing and then act like i don't know a damn thing but they do. i swear i am about done telling them how or what to do anymore. they don't listen anyways and they talk about how they catch bigger fish on worms than on a the fly rod and crap. I say if it sucks so bad why did they just order new reels and flies online lol. i don't know i just wish they listened to what i had to say. sorry had to vent that out lol. guess i will let them do what they wanna do. jimmy rigged or not, its not my stuff.

zerolimit

Reaction score
If you enjoy fishing with them and spending time out in nature aside from the poor dynamics between you when sharing knowledge and techniques, then maybe just fish with them and let everyone do their own thing. they may see success with some of your techniques and things may change or they may have trouble with their own and experiment out of desire to catch fish (or vise versa). If the animosity goes beyond that, then it's up to you to consider how and with who you wish to spend your time and energy.

tbrillinger223

Reaction score
George,

you are right about not using mono as backing. Mono is to rigid and can become stiff over time, causing your fly line to coil and become springy. It would be like trying to cast a slinky. not to mention it reduces the life of your fly line. Like Zerolimit said, if you are out there catching fish and they are not then they will soon listen. Just keep doing what you are doing and they will be coming to you for information. best of luck.

GeorgeMcFly

Reaction score
thnx guys. you are right I will let them do what they please. :wink:

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi George,

Many years ago, maybe the early 60's, people experimented with using mono for a backing with shooting heads. I tried it but did not like for the reasons stated by others. Some salt water fishers did use it with a shooting head. Back then mono was not as good as it is today. I also used mono with no fly line for fishing small streams with Salmon Eggs on a fly rod. That worked very well.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi George,

I just re-read your original post and wanted to make a couple of comments. You are just starting out and your friends don't have any confidence in you yet. Your success will be the only thing they will listen to. Many people who don't have a lot of experience think that people at the fly shop must know more about it than some new beginner. You are going down the right path by asking questions and reading. Keep in mind that people who write may be mostly a writer and may not be a good fishermen. This is even more true with guns and gun writers. You need to read people who you trust and have a proven track record. Fly Fishing is about learning basic techniques and then developing your own methods that work. You can see from reading post on this forum that a question may get several different answers and they probably all work for someone, someplace but may not work at all in your situation. Most of the information you get on this and other forums is someones opinion not necessarily fact. People have a tendency to think that the equipment they use is the best because that is what they have. Just keep up what you are doing and keep reviewing in your mind what works for you. I would stop trying to give help to your friends and just keep experimenting and reading. When they see you doing something that works they may ask you for your help.

BigCliff

Reaction score
We're not leading you astray. I'll gladly say "I don't know" before giving out bad info, I can't say as much for big-box store employees.

Man, just have more fun catching fish while they're digging in the worm bucket and don't worry about them. They'll either see the light or just leave all the good spots for you to fish.

tbrillinger223

Reaction score
like frank, cliff and I said, keep doing what you are doing and your cousins will come to you for help. dont get discouraged and give up. ask as many questions as you can and apply all the answers to those questions to your style of fishing and you will always be sucessful.

GeorgeMcFly

Reaction score
thnx guys for all the comments. i guess i just got worked up over nothing. lol like you guys said fishing is all about having fun. even if u catch stuff or not its always still a great time to me. thnx again guys for all the posts. i went today after the rain but it got all hot and muggy out. my cousin caught 2 small fish on a new zug bug he just got. other than that it was hot and sweaty and we got out of there pretty quick.

Colorado Cajun

Reaction score
It sounds to me like you are putting the time into it to learn and do it correctly. You will be rewarded for it in the long run. As far as your cousins, they will come around when you are catching and they aren't. I have seen guys land 20" + fish on size 22's and 24's. It can be done. Those bigger fish take a lot of experience, finess, and specific knowledge to land them. But it can be done.

Joni

Reaction score
Okay, MacFly, time for more pictures.
Here is a fly called a "Hot Chocolate" It is tied on a size 12 streamer hook.

I have caught many a fish on this fly from size 24" to the one last year at 34"

And if that isn't good enough for them, fall and winter here require downsizing big time. Here is some size 30's and 32's

And here is one landed on thos Micro's:

GeorgeMcFly

Reaction score
good catches joni. wow... size 30! never knew they could get that small! thats awesome to kno! that hot chocolate fly looks like this brown wooley buggers that i got. does the hot chocolate float like a regular fly? or do u use it as a streamer like a bugger??

Joni

Reaction score
The Hot Chocolate is Verigated Black and Brown Chenille. The tail is Bronze and the hackle is Brown Grizzly Hackle.
If I do weight the fly, it is maybe 5 wraps of .015 Tungsten, but for the most part I don't weight my flies and use different sink rate lines. This way the fly will float slightly if I am using a very fast sink line and I am in the ZONE for the bottom dwellers. I use an Intermediate, Type II, Type III, Type V, Type YII and Depth Charge which is 250 grain, so I can cover all the depths.