Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default Fishing Report from a NY trip

Over the weekend me and 7 of my friends drove to the Oak Orchard area in search of some big Brown Trout. It turned out to be a weekend to remember. 6 adults and two 15 year olds all fly fishing, sight casting in very clear, shallow pools of small creeks. We took one look at Oak Orchard Creek with the batalions of roe and bobber drifting spin fishers, and promptly ran for the lesser known, smaller creeks. We found plenty of room to fish there, and saw only a handfull of other fishermen in 2-3 miles of creek. Although we drove through blowing snow squals around Buffalo to get there, the weather was fabulous on the creeks. Sunrise Saturday morning set the tone for the day.

The creek all to ourselves.

The fish were smaller than some other years, but healthy, quality fish none-the-less. There were some smaller 2-3 pounders, but the majority of the fish were 6-8 pounds. Here is a couple I caught, nobody was close enough with a camera, so I had to take these myself.

My Dad did well....

So did my buddy Jeff....

The boys had a ball. Here is Jason with a good fish....

Here are a few with me in the pics....

Here is the kicker.... 8 guys caught and released over 60 nice Browns in a total of 16 hours of fishing, AND WE MISSED THE RUN!! We only caught the end of the run. The water was very clear which made the trout spooky and very persnickety of the flies they bit. 2X fluoro tippets 9-10 foot leaders, and #14 - #16 white with a red center blood dots ( the true Dan Blood type) were the best combo we found. Tried dozen or so other flies; buggers, nymphs, and minnow type patterns, but they either ignored them or down-right spooked at the sight of them. Smaller tippets may have helped a bit, but 8lb test was the weakest I was willing to dare with so much brush and dead falls in the water. I am still waiting on the pics from the other guys with cameras.....
    Last edited by mrfzx; 11-14-2011 at 10:53 AM. Reason: duplicate picture
    Homer

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Fishing Report from a NY trip

Jeff's fish looks to be the hog of the trip, but looks like a great trip overall! Not bad to not have to brave the masses, I can vouch for the packed nature of Oak Orchard.
    - A.J.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...

Yeah, the Oak was a mess. A good map, and buying some locals a frothy beverage at the local watering holes does wonders for knowledge of the area! They say you can catch more flies with honey than vinegar, but I think you can catch more fish with malt and hops!
    Homer

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.

awesome pictures! looks like you all had a blast!
    thanks for sharing.

Fantastic fish indeed! I love those big kype jaw males, they're the stuff dreams are made of.... well at least mine lol
    The tug is the drug