Why kill them???

mrfzx

Reaction score
So I am a reader. I like to know the rules and reg's. for the areas I fish....call me crazy. The NY fishing regulations book clearly says that "No consumption" of Lake Ontario trout is recomended. So why did I see many people on Oak Orchard Creek and other tributaries carying limits of large Browns on stringers?:confused:

FlyFlinger2421

Reaction score
Top ten list of possibilities:

10. Most people can't read
9. They didn't know they were trout
8. A tributary is not Lake Ontario, it is a stream dummy!
7. They want to have their entire catch mounted
6. They want to show their buddies what great fishermen they are
5. They want a picture but forgot their camera
4. They want to cut them open to see what they were eating but forgot their knives
3. They want to feed them to their neighbors pit bull
2. The wildlife department only says not to eat them to keep from being sued

And the Number 1 answer you have all been waiting for......

Are

You

Ready?

1. Their kids are really, really hungry!

mrfzx

Reaction score
Top ten list of possibilities:

10. Most people can't read
9. They didn't know they were trout
8. A tributary is not Lake Ontario, it is a stream dummy!
7. They want to have their entire catch mounted
6. They want to show their buddies what great fishermen they are
5. They want a picture but forgot their camera
4. They want to cut them open to see what they were eating but forgot their knives
3. They want to feed them to their neighbors pit bull
2. The wildlife department only says not to eat them to keep from being sued

And the Number 1 answer you have all been waiting for......

Are

You

Ready?

1. Their kids are really, really hungry!

LOL! I particularly liked #8. And the #1 explains the children I teach in schoo:pl!

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
Just because it says you should not eat them, does not stop people from doing it. We have Lake Sturgeon here. There are 3 paper mills upstream. A legal to keep sturgeon is at least 25 years old. The health department says don't eat big fish, old fish, fatty fish, or bottom feeders. Sturgeon are the whole list. They kill a ton of them. Then there is the faction that thinks a dead fish works better for the "Look at what I caught!" than a photo. We had a kid from up the river get a sturgeon that was in the state record zone. He drove around with it in the back of a truck for a week showing it off and then dumped it in the woods. A picture would have worked better. I guess he and that type never heard of the Al Lindner pose. I worked for the Minnesota DNR for many years and have seen pretty much every screwy thing you can imagine an angler can do. That's one of the main reasons I like being almost the only fly fisherman around here. My boss used to say all the time, "You have to remember that 99% of fisherman are good." It was a delusional comment. Truthfully if you were to say 99% were bad it would be much closer to the truth. Before we got more enforcement up here I had days where the violation rate was as high as 40%. I would bet it would be twice that high if they had no fear of being ticketed. I got to where if I didn't catch them doing something wrong I started to think I either was missing something or didn't get there fast enough. A lot of it has to do with the type of fishing they do also. Here in Minnesota the hardcore Crappie fisherman have a "Find a lake with Crappie, fish it till they are gone. Find a new lake." mentality. Most smaller lakes are good for 2 years tops from when the word gets out till you can't find a Crappie in the place. Walleye fisherman are a close second. Musky fisherman on the other hand are a catch and release group. They tend to carry that attitude over to other species. Interestingly enough, there also is a regional style to breaking laws and general bad behavior. My apologies to Wisconsin, but as an example, 90% of the time you catch somebody trolling with two rods here they are from Wisconsin. I could win money making bets on it. Then there is the bad ethics that does not break the law, and that has a regional trend as well. I can tell you with a pretty amazing accuracy where a person is from based on the lousy thing they are doing. Twin Cities people (not all but most) seem to have the idea somebody else is responsible for taking the trash from where they drop it to the trash can.

Long story short, if you are disgusted by what you are seeing, you would be nauseated by what you are not. Be happy that you fly fish, where you are among the crowd where my bosses " 99% of anglers are good." thing is actually fairly accurate.

I took so long writting this 2 people posted while I was doing it. #3 reminds me of a story a guy from a state I won't name said. He was seriously ticked off we had reduced the limit on Pike from 6 to 3 and put a protected slot of 30 to 40 inches on them. He then tells me he had come up here and kept 6 Pike one time that had a combined weight of 126 pounds. That's a 21 pound average. I asked why he would want 6 fish that big. He replied "Fertilized my garden."

Last edited:

chimborazo

Reaction score
Twin Cities people (not all but most) seem to have the idea somebody else is responsible for taking the trash from where they drop it to the trash can.
I can't tell you how many times around here my fishing trips turn into garbage collection trips with fishing on the side. Pisses me off.

I took so long writting this 2 people posted while I was doing it. #3 reminds me of a story a guy from a state I won't name said. He was seriously ticked off we had reduced the limit on Pike from 6 to 3 and put a protected slot of 30 to 40 inches on them. He then tells me he had come up here and kept 6 Pike one time that had a combined weight of 126 pounds. That's a 21 pound average. I asked why he would want 6 fish that big. He replied "Fertilized my garden."
:mad: Did he at all consider that perhaps people like him are the reason those regulations are put in place?

lthrnk03

Reaction score
Having lived and grown up in WNY, their recommendation of not consuming fish from either Lake Erie or Lake Ontario is based on the pollution levels of the lake. Its been about 6 years since I moved down south, but last I remember the Dept Of Wildlife recommended eating only 1 fish per year (zero if you were pregnant) from either lake.

mrfzx

Reaction score
Having lived and grown up in WNY, their recommendation of not consuming fish from either Lake Erie or Lake Ontario is based on the pollution levels of the lake. Its been about 6 years since I moved down south, but last I remember the Dept Of Wildlife recommended eating only 1 fish per year (zero if you were pregnant) from either lake.
For the salmon, they reccommend only one meal per month...I believe, but for the trout, because they live much longer and have more time for the toxins (mainly mercury, lead, cadmium, etc.) to build-up, they recommend "no consumption".

lthrnk03

Reaction score
For the salmon, they reccommend only one meal per month...I believe, but for the trout, because they live much longer and have more time for the toxins (mainly mercury, lead, cadmium, etc.) to build-up, they recommend "no consumption".
There isn't enough money in the world to get me to eat fish out of either one of those lakes!

mikel

Reaction score
The Ca DFG is introducing proposed new striper regs in our delta. This would both up the bag and possession limits, AND reduce the minimum size to 12".

There's a lot to say about this, but in the context of this thread...they have told us for years to eat only very small amounts of striper due to the mercury they accumulate. Under these regs the daily take in the delta could be as high as 26 stripers over 12" per day per angler.

Of course, there's a California law against wasting fish...so if you take em, you're saying you'll eat em too.

The world has gone mad.

lthrnk03

Reaction score
The Ca DFG is introducing proposed new striper regs in our delta. This would both up the bag and possession limits, AND reduce the minimum size to 12".

There's a lot to say about this, but in the context of this thread...they have told us for years to eat only very small amounts of striper due to the mercury they accumulate. Under these regs the daily take in the delta could be as high as 26 stripers over 12" per day per angler.

Of course, there's a California law against wasting fish...so if you take em, you're saying you'll eat em too.

The world has gone mad.
One more reason I am a "love em and leave em" kinda guy as opposed to a "hook em and cook em" guy.

gatortransplant

Reaction score
My favorite is watching people drag stringer-chains of dead/dying salmon reminiscent of the crypt keeper to their vehicles, then give me the "oh, but they're going in the smoker!" routine. Oh right, the new as-seen-on-tv smoker that removes the heavy metals and other contaminants! Of course! I always forget about that fictitious device! Catch and release for me, thanks.

rockriver

Reaction score
They still make great bait for trapping and bear hunting. Of course, you could just release them to catch them when they are bigger. I honestly don't know. We have lakes up here that you can't keep certain fish at all due to pollution caused by mining; yet, I know people that do.

sandfly

Reaction score
meanwhile we catch and release guys are eating hormone induced shrimp and seafood from Asia....read your labels and reject any fish and seafood from viet nam and asia...

latshki

Reaction score
I don't eat fish...

but every opening of the season our fish are sodomised by bait fisherman, and every year I see people leaving the river bank with stringers of brook trout that would make many of you guys soil your pants, sadly most of these fish are destined to sit in the freezer for months before they are tossed in the garbage.

IMO all native fish should be released, I could only imagine what our water ways would be like if it was this way!

wt bash

Reaction score
meanwhile we catch and release guys are eating hormone induced shrimp and seafood from Asia....read your labels and reject any fish and seafood from viet nam and asia...
Aint that the truth! Any and all fish bought in the market should have a sustainable fisheries act stamp or atleast be caught by Americans. Its ironic American fisherman are constantly regulated off the water while we then buy our seafoods from other nations with practically no regulations in place. Sorry for the hijack.

jimbojo

Reaction score
I enjoy eating frsh trout, occasionally, but I only keep stockers and just what we will eat. The mercury levels and such in the stocked fish is not bad, I believe our G&F typically states 2 to 3 times a month for Rainbow Trout caught in Northern NM. When fishing the San Juan or other special waters I fish strictly c&r.

Jimbo

waterbound

Reaction score
Honestly there are a few rare occasions that fish should be killed. The Striped Bass have been over taking prime waters such as Diamond Valley Lake and Castaic Lake. Just like the Asian Carp is spreading north to the Great Lakes. Some fish should be slaughtered in order to make room for NATIVE species.

That doesn't mean you should consume them either. They make great fertilizer for lawns and other ornamental plants.

Personally I have greatly reduced my consumption of caught fish by over 95%. The pollution is so rampant, not to mention shrinking populations of wild fish. No matter how good something tastes I don't think anyone should eat anything into extinction. Our Pacific Salmon still have not recovered from the droughts. I just refuse to further reduce the population.

ben664

Reaction score
Interesting post ....

I just want to report how things are going down here in France: From more than 30 years, you can fish every day, from march 10 to september 20, with 10 fish per day / fisherman, and a ridiculus 8 inch per fish.

No kill sections are rare, and very few palces worth it (my region worth it)

Now, we are like 40% of flyfisherman that only fishing no kill in France but 60% take everything. Please; don't do like us !!!

This is the reason that french flyfishermen gone to other contry like Bosnia, Norway, USA or NZ for fishing.

thechief

Reaction score
haha well i live in an area that says barracuda sand bass calico bass and alot more fish are contaminated and to never eat them.. i eat it like crazy i love fish i eat some of it raw SASHIMI! :D but i am a stick catch and release freshwater fisherman hahha so yeah they might just not care like me