Putting it all together

waterman

Reaction score
As I mentioned on another thread I had caught fish on a fly in the past using a spinning rod. I have only been fly fishing a couple times using an actual fly rod borrowed from a friend and unfortunately didn't catch anything with it.

Last week I finally bought my first rod so this past Saturday morning some friends and I headed to one of the local rivers for some smallmouth fishing and hopefully break-in my new rod. I ended up catching 12 to 15 fish that morning, a couple smallmouth, a largemouth, some goggle eye, and several brim. Nothing of any size, all under 12 inches but it was all coming together, the rod, the cast, the presentation, etc... wow!

The thing that keeps playing over in my mind is some of the smooth casts I managed with fairly decent accuracy. There's something very special about a well presented fly.

Just wanted to share and offer up my thanks to you all on this forum for the great information, tips, and opinions I read here.

bonefish41

Reaction score
I concur...my first fish on a fly was 50 years ago...on a south bend 7' two piece spinning rod green in color and unsanded with an old hardy taped on with electrical tape ...little manistee...native brook trout...16 adams...about 7 "...I was hooked

Colorado Cajun

Reaction score
Glad you stuck with it! Good job.! Another addict on the water! *L* Sounds like you are hooked now.

makubwa

Reaction score
nOw that you have your fly rod ... just wait to catch your first fish with it, it can be a good experience

waterman

Reaction score
A wonderful experience! Thanks everyone. Had another nearly as good day on the water this past Saturday as well, caught several fish.
Love that feeling when your cast is in the zone! Now if I can just keep it in the zone... :smile: