Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  132
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Default Re: Streamers, How I got Hooked on Swinging;

OK, Ard, I have, most of this stuff, I have a Partridge so it should have flank feathers, I have some polar bear, I think I have some squirrel (not sure if its sparse and dark grey), I have some Jungle cock spade feathers, nix on the rink neck body feathers, nix on the barred rock saddles, but as I look at this, I’m thinking its harder to tie than a woolly bugger…

Would you tie them this big for a Maryland river (upper Gunpowder)? I have never seen a salmon in there, but we all have hope.

Rob

"The Barred Plymouth Rock (fig. 1) is of a grayish-white color, regularly crossed with parallel bars of blue-black running in straight, distinct lines throughout the entire length of the feather, and showing on the down or under color of the feathers. The barring is somewhat smaller on the hackle and saddle feathers than on other portions of the body" - some breeder page

I will take the recipe to my fly shop and post info if he has material someone else may also not have , you can order over the net from him and he has all kinds of material has father in law started the business way back. I want to stick to the recipe so I don't mess it up.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gfirob View Post
    OK, Ard, I have, most of this stuff, I have a Partridge so it should have flank feathers, I have some polar bear, I think I have some squirrel (not sure if its sparse and dark grey), I have some Jungle cock spade feathers, nix on the rink neck body feathers, nix on the barred rock saddles, but as I look at this, I’m thinking its harder to tie than a woolly bugger…

Would you tie them this big for a Maryland river (upper Gunpowder)? I have never seen a salmon in there, but we all have hope.

Rob
    Hi Rob,

The Answer was made for brown trout fishing, I've never even tried to catch salmon with it. While the fly can be fished in a large river I would recommend working pockets with it rather than using it as a general 'searching pattern'. I've caught fish with it while swinging it through large expanses of water but it seems best when swept through the small pockets where you would expect a trout to be and to take notice of the little fish darting past.

The squirrel hair; when I say sparse, I mean to use a small amount, not that the hair would be fine. I believe that the 2 most important features of the fly are the large triangular partridge flanks used to create the tail, and the colors which are only tiny paint spots alternated on the wing quills. The bit of cream white hair tied underneath can be deer - bear, or any long white hair. The idea of the grizzly feathers over the squirrel is to give the wings some bulk and to provide markings that are similar to the parr markings found on young trout as they begin to reach the adult coloration stage.

The idea was to create something that might trigger the adult trout to grab this because it looks like a small brown trout. Many species are selectively cannibalistic on their own young. Here's my take on this phenomenon; big brown trout eat smaller fish all the time, any type will do to support the requirements of diet. However, I suspect that they also are hard wired by nature to see other trout as competitors; this would be competition for all manner of resources including reproductive dominance. In other words they eliminate their competitors with prejudice, thus fishing with a lure which closely mimics the small and vulnerable brown trout may have some merit.

That assessment is mine, it is based on my basic knowledge of animal behavior and many years of observations while on streams and rivers.

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Thanks, Ard, for the thoughtful response. I give them a try. I think I can get this stuff together.

5. Likes Ard liked this post

This Sept. I spent a week at the Lakewood Lodge near the Rapid River. The first day we fished our guide put us on the island at the entrance to "Lake in the River". I noticed an angler just across the narrows who walked in from town. I watched him catch a landlock on his first five casts.

Later in the day, I complimented him on his skill and asked what he was using. He said a white streamer. I have caught more fish on streamers than any other type of fly. Try a Woolie Bugger drifted then stripped in. Tight lines
    Nearenuf

The true joy in pursuing trout is that they live in the most beautiful places.

7. Likes Ard liked this post
    Blog Entries

Time to bump a good topic

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

9. Likes rockriver liked this post
    adirondack46r Guest

While I learned to love fly fishing by casting dries to rising trout, I have learned to love fishing streamers. A guide on the west branch of the Delaware once asked me if I had fished any big streamers during a recent high water event. I told him I wasn't really into fishing streamers and wooly boogers. He responded with, "oh, you ain't really into catchin' big trout then, are ya?"

Great thread.

11. Likes Ard, rockriver liked this post

Coming from spin tackle and mostly warm water species, streamers were intuitive and the first flies I learned to use. They didn't require the best casting, as long as you got your line out. My first fish on the fly was a walleye on a clouser.

13. Likes smilingduck, adblouky liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by banjominnow View Post
    Coming from spin tackle and mostly warm water species, streamers were intuitive and the first flies I learned to use. They didn't require the best casting, as long as you got your line out. My first fish on the fly was a walleye on a clouser.
    Some members here have fished with me and know that my feelings on casting a streamer is that as long as the fly lands in the water it's a good cast. Once you became more accurate it became more fun though huh

15. Likes karstopo, mlob1one liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by banjominnow View Post
    My first any fish were on clousers. According to my Fishbrain stats my best lure is a pearl Orvis zonker.

BTW, who names these things? Sex dungeon? That's one vivid imagination there.

17. Thanks fshng2 thanked for this post
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast