Streamers, How I got Hooked on Swinging;

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I was doing some snooping through old threads and thought this was worth bringing back.​

Without a doubt once you enter into the catagory of tying and fishing streamer flies there is only one level left, salmon flies & fishing. The materials that one must gather and the skills that are developed in the construction of the classic feather wing streamers and the buck tail flies are on a par with the salmon flies and their tiers.

But it's not just about collecting materials is it; the feel, the thud, transmitted from the point of the hook all the way into the flesh of your rod hand is what makes a streamer fisherman. I love fishing, I loved bait fishing when I was a kid and the use of spinning lures as I gained experience, fly fishing was always the goal but it wasn't as easy as I thought it would be. I dabbled in every style that was related to the craft of fly fishing but when I felt my first 'dead stop thud' with one of my streamers tied on, well that pretty much cast the die through which everything else would have to pass and compare. I've been tying streamers since I made my very first fly it's been a learning experience since I was in the early teens and I'm still at it.

One thing that I know for sure is that my stubborn dogged pursuit of becoming a good streamer fisherman led directly to my success as a salmon fisherman. The art of controlling a submerged streamer fly, carefully guiding its course to the known lie of a brown trout or Brookie is the same skill needed to fish for salmon. I say this to those who dream of salmon fishing and of using classic style flies and presentation to fulfill that dream. If you have an eye on that ultimate fly fishing goal, then use every trout fishing trip as a salmon or steelhead training run. I spent innumerable years fishing the waters of North Central Pennsylvania until the ice and cold drove me off for the winter. When I was out there swinging those flies in creeks with names like Lycoming, Loyalsock and Big Pine, in my mind I was fishing the extreme North West Coast Rivers. Places I had not yet been but knew somehow I would and yes, Alaska the last frontier. I am thankful for all the time I spent fishing those big wet flies in my old home waters because it was that which made things easy here.

Just like collecting dry fly supplies the gathering of materials for streamer tying is a life work.

Pictured here are two of my favorite streamer rods and both are used here every year still. The Graphite is an Orvis PM-10 9' #5 with a CFO IV as it's reel. The cane rod is a custom build by the Orvis rod shop from days gone by, an 8' #6 with a Hardy Princess that it was built to balance. Only God knows how many hours we've spent together.

The flies are a big part of the draw, here is an old pattern and a very effective one, The Light Spruce.

An equal to it's mirrored pattern the 'Light' is The Dark Spruce.

Some old patterns that I simply enjoy tying and fishing;

I am fully aware that no discussion of streamer fishing can go forward without paying just dues to the venerable Woolly Bugger and the Buck Tail flies. Although I failed to include an original Olive & Black Bugger in the shot I do keep a bunch handy. The Bugger is probably the one pattern that I have seen the most variations of in all my experience with flies.

In My Buck Tail wallet I carry a few Thunder Creek patterns, a few Muddler variations, and a whole bunch of Whitlock Sculpins. The sculpin has proven itself to be a good answer when my pretty flies just can't seem to turn up a trout. They have also caught a good number of Silver (Coho) salmon.

That makes three threads, Dries, Nymphs & Wets, and Streamers. I could have tucked these away in my blog pages but decided with winter upon us I would stick some stuff out here on the discussion board to see if others will join in with pictures and stories.

Ard

Last edited:

littledavid123

Reaction score
A wonderful introduction to streamer fishing, am looking forward to participating in all the 3 intros once I am settled into my new job.

Dave

tbblom

Reaction score
People kept telling me to try streamers for 2 years. I would half heartedly give it a try and go back to a dry dropper setup. In my third year I started to really try with streamers. I started catching bigger fish as soon as I started having any luck with streamers. It is so fun watching a large fish chase and inspect a streamer, even if they deny it after all. The movement really needs to be enticing to get a strike from a big fish; too fast or too slow and they ignore it.:ranting3:

I was kind of hitting a fall slump until creating a fun little pattern I call the 'squirrel bugger'. Marabou tail, soft grizzly matuka hackle, dubbing body, and a squirrel back tied on a short #6 hook with a cone head (sorry can't post pics... not sure if it is number of posts needed or $$$).
Also google 'belly ache minnow' for another great pattern. Amazing how different the belly ache minnow is from a bucktail or a clouser, but they all work well I guess.

latshki

Reaction score
Once again Ard, a great thread!

Streamer fishing is the newest form of fly fishing to me and one of the most enjoyable!, as a friend of mine puts it! The tug is the drug!
No other words could describe streamer fishing to me, this fall I spent half a dozen days fishing for atlantic salmon and steelhead, and I could spend all day fishing and having just that one pull would make that day a good one to me, and although I didn't land any salmon I did land a small steelhead of 3lbs.

I cannot wait to pick up my streamers for sea run brook trout, steelhead and salmon! Just a few more months!

Here's a muddler variation and a few Rusty Rats which are normally tied on a salmon iron but I wanted to try some on some streamer hooks, I really liked the result!

Reaction score
A great thread indeed.

I've started tying streamers this year, albeit more modern creations, but there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that as i gather more and more materials, my focus will flip to the traditional streamers.
However, contrary to your 'step up' above, it looks like i'm going to start with the traditional salmon flies (Jock Scott) and revert back to traditional streamers, wooly buggers aside.

Vans

Reaction score
How to make proper forum threads

by Hardyreels

Another great thread Ard. I just got my introduction to swinging flies this year and it is just plain fun. It is a fun way to work and effectively cover a piece of water.

As for tying streamers. I asked the better half for a all inclusive fly tying kit. Either the Orvis or Wapsi ones. I dont see myself tying a lot of flies, but making up some steelhead leeches and big ol' salmon flies sounds like a lot of fun. I wish i had some cool pics to add, but my rods are all new and my flies are store bought. lol

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks guys and I hope you will add your experiences and I will put in some more content as the winter grinds on here.

tbblom,

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/forum-procedures-faq/3249-how-do-i-post-picture-nafff.html

Try the procedure in this thread, if that does not get your images up send me a PM and I'll get you squared away.

Latshki,

Nice St John there :)

Vans,

Once you get started tying don't forget the 'Tie Along' threads by Pocono in the Fly Tiers forums. His careful step by step tying procedures and photos will give you a great jump start.

Ard

Last edited:

thenextlevel

Reaction score
Everyone I fish with thinks I'm crazy for fishing streamers so much. They catch a lot of fish on nymph rigs, but I catch a lot bigger fish when I throw meat. My addiction has gotten so bad I am in the process of buying a switch rod specifically for streamer fishing for trout.

tbblom

Reaction score

ok, pretty sure I followed the same procedure. But now I get to show off my streamers...

6/0 rainbow for musky or pike (still trying to find one to cast to...)
#2 and 1/0 'Belly Ache Minnow'
On the bottom, my 'squirrel bugger' #6. simple and super effective trout minnow.

Last edited:

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Some streamers from the #1 box
top to bottom

a pair of deceivers tied flat wing style
the black one in the middle is a white water witch, appropriately tied with hair from a witch wig
a pair of Tabory snake flies
a craft fur high-tie
and a Gartside softhackle streamer

tbblom

Reaction score
loving these threads and having a place to show off my personal best flies.
Looking forward to seeing a lot more from around the country.

conehead #4 (marabou tail, rabbit, dubbing body, hare mask collar)

blonde fish skull minnow #8. (rabbit, dubbing)

belly ache minnow... try this fly, it ain't no lie. Belly Ache Minnow Fly Tying Demo - YouTube

probably my best personal creation. "squirrel bugger #6" or "the Boulder Creek Bandit" caught an elusive 16" brown 1st day trying it out.

One of many browns taken the week I started using the 'Bellyache Minnow'
(this one unfortunately in the gill flap :()

Let's see some articulated stuff... (not quite there yet personally)
Also post some links to good video tutorials if you have them.

gatortransplant

Reaction score
By request, some articulated streamers! These are Kelly Galoup's Sex Dungeon, and the olive with the light olive tail (which has taken quite a beating) seems particularly successful. White is also successful but I need to tie more!

Here's a brown caught on the olive one:

And here's a saltwater box I started tying for my father for Christmas, any suggestions will be considered and likely tied in triplicate:

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Every fly posted here will catch fish no matter where I used them, from the Spring surf to the late Autumn trout fishing rivers. Beautiful work, and I gotta say the 'Squirrel Bugger' has many fish in its future. Great posts and I can't wait to see what's next!

Ard

lthrnk03

Reaction score
Ard-

Your threads are only fueling my desire to start tying my own flies and furthering my addiction to fly fishing! Thanks brother!

-Ian

gt05254

Reaction score
Never tied streamers on Alec Jackson spey hooks before, but that's what the man wanted!
Gary
[/IMG]

---------- Post added at 04:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:49 PM ----------

Posters are fun to make:
[/IMG]