Newbie with questions

okiegsp

Reaction score
Hello to everyone, just joined and hoping to get alot of answers. I have never fly fished and a friend and I are headed to the cimmaron river in New Mexico in mid August.
Will this be a decent time of the year to go?
What local fly shops would you recommend to buy flys at?
Can I get by with wading boots during this time of the year?
Thanks for the help

philthy

Reaction score
Welcome!

I haven't had the chance to fish the Cimmaron yet, so I really don't have specific answers to your questions. High Desert Anglers in Santa Fe has a fishing report that's usually updated a couple times a week.

Fly Fishing Report for Northern New Mexico

I believe you can check out the archives as well. Another good source of info is Flyfisher's Guide to New Mexico by Van Beacham. Probably the best 25 bucks I've spent when it comes to info. Very well written and you actually have a vision of how a place is gonna look before you get there!

There's lots of streams to fish here and I'm making it my goal to visit as many as I can this summer. Best of luck to ya.

Phil

ffffg

Reaction score
Go to the high end fly shops, that is high priced, orvis, winston, sage, etc and these guys make their living giving information.. Of course the 1000 dollar outfit will work much better for what your doing, but resist that:icon_twis .. What i do is i go to several good fly shops in the area and tell them to pick me out a half dozen flies or what you can afford, and tell them if they are right you will be back to buy more gear.. That gets them in the let you know what you need to know mode, and gets them to tell you some good spots maybe..... And if they are right I do usually go back and reward the best informers/teachers with more flys that I will need for the next day.... dave..

Trucha

Reaction score
The Cimarron is a superb summer time river, just which out for the flows. The fishing is better during the week, too. Expect to see a few people on the water at any given time. You can get by wet wading. The shop in Eagle Nest, Dos Amigos, can give info on the flies; you will find various caddis, small stones and BWO on the water. It is fun with dries but if you know how to nymph well - you can have a field day on the trout.

The Rio Costilla is another summer time river that is a must to fish, too. It isn't too far away from the Cimarron.

okiegsp

Reaction score
Thanks for the info which direction and how far away is the Rio Costilla, also I read somewhere close to the cimmaron is an area you can fish for Pike, but cannot remember the name!

The Rio Costilla is another summer time river that is a must to fish, too. It isn't too far away from the Cimarron.[/QUOTE]

Trucha

Reaction score
Maxwell Lake and Springer lakes have pike in them as well as the Rio Grande Gorge.

Rio Costilla is directly north of the Cimarron. Get a map and find Red River and look north to the border. Find the Valle Vidal in the Carson Nat. Forest and you're there.