Carp!

franzenangler

Reaction score
So while fishing for bass I've seen alot of good sized carp cruisin the bank and it looks like they're eating something. What flies should I try throwing to them, and any idea of what they might be eating?

indymatt

Reaction score
That is the first step, were they clooping? Basically the samething as sucking stuff off the surface or were they leaving mud trails from the bottom? I know that they eat cottonwood seeds and mulberries so that could be some items that could have been on the surface. There are flies that you can tie that imitate these favorite foods.

lancer09

Reaction score
in florida they are more than likely grass carp, especially if they are in ponds and cruising the banks, try small green grassy looking flies and throw it into a group of something they are eating and wait.

franzenangler

Reaction score
Indy: They were both sipping something off the surface and leaving mud trails. I'm thinking about throwing a matuka, gramper (helgrumite), or a dragonfly nymph.

Lancer: I'm not in Florida I'm in NC and they look to small to be grass carp.

indymatt

Reaction score
I have heard for mudtrailing carp stripping a crawdad imitator can get them to take it up. Don't underestimate these guys! Great fighters and SMART! They are great fish moreso than people give them credit for!

grgerman

Reaction score
Here in Upstate NY we fly fish for carp on the Erie canal. The favorite "fly" is a bare hook with 3-4 kernels of canned corn on the hook tied to a floro leader.
It is fished in shallow water just under the surface.
Be prepared for a great fight and a lot of stripped line.

mattpike

Reaction score
I fish Moss Lake on a regular basis, which is pretty close to you, I think. I went yesterday, and they hammered a #10 carp carrot. I've never had any luck getting them on top. The only time I've seen carp clooping, they were eating midges, and they were grass carp. Never seen a common come to the surface, although I'm sure they do. They really seem to like bright orange, although I've caught them on a variety of large nymphs. Trout nymphs are generally too small and the hooks aren't strong enough, so I tie with bonefish hooks, and use dumbell or beadchain eyes to get the flies down quick. My best luck comes with placing the fly within a foot of their lips while they are feeding. Cast 3 feet or so in front of cruisers, although I rarely get them to eat. Heads down, tails up is the way to go.

franzenangler

Reaction score
I've come to the conclusion that these are grass carp. They've been flashing alot and chasing each other around, this leads me to believe they are spawning. I had one come up and mouth a green gurgler but thats the only action I had from them.

Joni

Reaction score
Grass carp is tuff. Hard to get TO the Carp. I did finally break down and started throwing a BIG UGLY. Big heavy fly that cuts through the grass.

mattpike

Reaction score
Could be...most of them are supposedly sterile, but they'll 'play' spawn. You should be able to tell by the coloring if you can get close enough. Commons are obviously orange/gold. The grassies have bluish fins and no gold/orange. I would recommend ignoring them if possible and going after commons. I spent the better part of last year chasing them and came away with 3. They are big, but are a really disappointing fight based on their size and the effort to catch the damned things.

mattpike

Reaction score
From my experience, no, but who knows? I've only caught them with nymphs as they were actively feeding, and was able to get my fly right at their mouth. I really don't know if they even intended to eat it. I've had some interest with an unweighted olive marabou fly that looks like vegetation, but haven't actually caught one on that. I guarantee there are commons nearby you--probably even in the same water. They are sooooo much more fun, although still really tricky.....but try if you must. You were warned.;)

indymatt

Reaction score
I had luck tipping a nymph with a raisin before, sunmaid and all! Worked great not really heavy and did the trick. Carp will pull drag and go stright down to the weeds, rooting in the weeds, and hold down there for what seems forever. It might be a long fight just be patient!

Joni

Reaction score
That is so true Indy (about the fight, never tried the raisin thing...LOL)

HuronRiverDan

Reaction score
Franzen, if they're feeding on top, look and see what's in the area they're feeding in; they will eat mulberries and cottonwood seeds, and if there is some other fruit in your area dropping in the water I'm sure they will take it too.

If they are "mudding", use a small crayfish pattern or nymph; take a look at the Carp Fly swap to get some ideas, Joni tyed some sweet looking nymphs.

Carp are tough, they are very spooky so you have to fish them carefully. Cast in front of them and hop the fly across their path when they get close, and hang on for a great fight if you're lucky.

Dan

ssjchar

Reaction score
So it sounds like carp require a slightly heavy rod, maybe a 7 or 8 wt? I was hoping to get a spey to fish pike, large walleye and carp, though it sounds like i need to sight fish carp more than chuck and strip.

Joni

Reaction score
I use an 8 on the river but more because of the fighting butt.

But this Guy:

Was hooked and landed using an 8' 6 weight "E" Glass (McFarland)

Ooooodles of fun landing these guys, the tip was almost touching the reel, but also, no break offs LOL

mattpike

Reaction score
So it sounds like carp require a slightly heavy rod, maybe a 7 or 8 wt? I was hoping to get a spey to fish pike, large walleye and carp, though it sounds like i need to sight fish carp more than chuck and strip.
I use a 6wt almost always, although a 7 or 8 certainly won't hurt. Where I fish it's usually pretty short, fast, accurate casts, so the 6wt works better(and fish average 10 lbs. or less). I only sight fish. That's the point for me. I've done some blind casting when it was really muddy, but never brought back more than a scale. You need to watch them eat the fly. The take is very subtle.