Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: What I did over the 4th of July

Default What I did over the 4th of July

I spent the last week in Colorado's Weminuche wilderness.

We hiked/fished up one drainage, then along the Continental Divide for a couple of days, then down another drainage. Some of the best spots we fished were many miles from any trailhead, protected by steep, thick bushwhacking. I'd be surprised if they get fished by 3 parties a year.

The fish were mostly browns and brookies, and pretty naive. 20 fish per hour was pretty much par for the course. I tried the craziest dry flies in my box, the big size 12 bright orange monstrosities I normally only use as strike indicators. The fish loved them.

The water was relatively shallow and crystal clear, so it was almost all sight fishing and you got to watch the fish really go after the fly.
    It was an altogether amazing time.

Some pictures:

Image Posting Size Limits

Members shall not link to any images inside their message post that are wider than 550pxls. Oversize images will be deleted without notification.

Image Posting Size Limits

Members shall not link to any images inside their message post that are wider than 550pxls. Oversize images will be deleted without notification.

2. Default Re: What I did over the 4th of July

Sounds like you had a great 4th also. We headed up to the Uinta's (10,000' elevation) to get out of the heat.
    Fished Mirroe Lake up there. The fish aren't big, but with bamboo and a 2wt. they are a blast.
    I did manage a GRAND SLAM.
    Some Albino's, a lot of Rainbow and Brookies.

Plus beautiful landscape and a Moose about 75' away.