how is casting distance measured?....

o mykiss

Reaction score
i don't know how far i can cast... i also know i can't shoot all my line out...

so is it measured from where i'm standing to where the line ends or from the tip of the rod to where the line ends?

some friends and i were talking about casting and they were saying numbers like 70 feet. 60 feet.

and one guy said 85 feet which got me thinking "isn't that the whole line right there or pretty close? since most lines are about 30 yards?"....

anyway, i couldn't come up with a number for them. i guess i've never really thought about it. but now i'm curious.

time to get out my range finder when i go fishing. :D

Jackster

Reaction score
Measure from the tip of your toe (toe the line) to the yarn fly.

littledavid123

Reaction score
I brought back Ards thread on how far can you cast, interesting read. :)

With my limited casting distance after fly fishing for one year, I firmly believe that anyone who says they can cast over 80 feet is counting the back stroke...:p

Dave

mojo

Reaction score
I brought back Ards thread on how far can you cast, interesting read. :)

With my limited casting distance after fly fishing for one year, I firmly believe that anyone who says they can cast over 80 feet is counting the back stroke...:p

Dave
It's timing Dave.
And a good double haul.
And line to match your rod.

This was an 80' cast with a McFarland 5w parabolic glass rod and Sharkskin line.

Letting the rod do the work. You can see the 100' tape towards the bottom of the picture.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Allan,

I love the bend in that rod! I get longer cast with less effort out of a full - medium action rod than the fast graphite sticks. Nice picture here, it really shows the rod providing the energy and not the man so much.

Ard

Rip Tide

Reaction score
..... and I've always thought that the measure of a good cast was whether or not you fooled a fish.
What was I thinking!
:rolleyes:

wjc

Reaction score
Mojo,

Of all the rods ever made, the one I have most wanted to try since first hearing of them is a Paul Young Parabolic.

I would probably have to bring a wheelbarrow full of Franklins though as surety before an owner of one would let me put my paws on it. :D:D

canonman

Reaction score
I measure by using what ever is laid out past the rod tip using the fly line (90 ft in most) as a judging point.

---------- Post added at 01:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:04 PM ----------

By the way... I was throwing a 5 wt inside at one of the fly shows out of the pond at around 120' with ease and on target... outside in the real world I feel good if it goes 40' and hits the water sometimes!!!! Big difference