What is this guy using?

FlyFlinger2421

Reaction score
What kind of fly is this guy using? After watching this video I am going to try this if I can ever figure out what they are feeding on!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IflkFD25nD4]fly fishing - YouTube[/ame]

mudbug

Reaction score
My guess is it's a Milweed Seed or a Cottonwood seed fly.

I had someone give me one a couple nights ago that he makes using white egg yarn. He says they work great.

Hombre06

Reaction score
That's Carp fly fishing here in Korea. These guys do it mostly in Han River tributaries around Seoul. I'm going out in town today and will stop by the local fly shop and ask. Although they may not be open today because it's salmon season and they're out getting some.
You can also go here and keep looking. carp fly.

gatortransplant

Reaction score
Carp will also take your basic olive wooly bugger in a size 10 (and other sizes too). Just make sure it sinks to the bottom, then as the carp approaches, twitch the fly ever so slightly so it kicks up a puff of silt. I've watched several carp fight to make it to a fly doing this. I've caught carp in a variety of sizes, all of which were interested in dark-colored buggers worked on the bottom veeeeeery slowly

FlyFlinger2421

Reaction score
I have caught them by throwing streamers in front of a pod of them working along the bottom in shallow water. They suck up the fly but those vacuum cleaner mouths would suck up anything that got in their way so I never considered it fishing. The dry fly thing is another thing altogether!
I have seen them coming to the surface in a lake near here but I have no idea what they are feeding on. Maybe cottonwood seeds, etc.

Joni

Reaction score
I have caught them on a Midnight Fire/Captain America bugger, Brown buggers, Pink with grizzly hackle and white tail. Yellow also. EGGS (glow bugs) in red and orange and yellow.
Also on Haresears, and Prince Nymphs.

Hombre06

Reaction score
Hi guys, just got back from a day out in Seoul. Stopped by the River Fly Shop which is ran by a one of the local guides. Described the video and he pulled it up on his computer quickly. He knows the guy in the video and where he was fishing. I asked him what fly he was using and he said, "bread". He went on to say that people feed these carp bread so the carp FF guys use flies that resemble pieces of bread. Makes sense. He quickly obliged me by tying a couple of the "Bread" flies. See below.
The Master

The Bread Flies

Pretty strange but it makes complete sense to tie flies that resemble the bread hatch.

Anyways, it was a great day in Korea and me and my daughter had a great lunch.

milt spawn

Reaction score
Try to catch the current episode of Fly Fishing The World on Sportsman Channel, it's Michigan Carp, with a side of smallmouth. milt.

Jackster

Reaction score
Whodda thunk it? Korea as a fly fishing tourist destination!
That video got me charged up alright. The only time I've seen gulpers like that was at Hebgen and in the pond out back when the grass clippings get thrown in from the riding mowers. It drives the grass carp in there nuts!
Great video! What I wouldn't give to have that sort of action around here!

On another note, slack cost the guy with the cowboy hat on a number of fish in the first parts of that video. By the end it looks like he caught on to his hook-up problem.

wjc

Reaction score
Just don't seem right - fishing for a fish with a bread fly.

Course, I got a fish on my bucket list you need an algae glob fly to fish with. But at least it's supposed to resemble 100% natural ocean grown globs of algae and not something made in a bakery intended for a good ham sandwich.

fire instructor

Reaction score
Whodda thunk it? Korea as a fly fishing tourist destination!
Ummm... After this morning's news, any trips anywhere Korea are "on-hold", at least for me! It's strange how fishing always seems to transcend politics. I've talked to a number of vets who managed to find a way to wet a line, even while wearing BDU's & a flack-jacket.

Anyway, this is a great thread. Korea is somewhere that I would never have thought of as a fishing haven, and carp certainly not a game fish that I would have pursued, but it's great when something like this opens your eyes to something different!

swirlchaser

Reaction score
Hi guys, just got back from a day out in Seoul. Stopped by the River Fly Shop which is ran by a one of the local guides. Described the video and he pulled it up on his computer quickly. He knows the guy in the video and where he was fishing. I asked him what fly he was using and he said, "bread". He went on to say that people feed these carp bread so the carp FF guys use flies that resemble pieces of bread. Makes sense. He quickly obliged me by tying a couple of the "Bread" flies. See below.
The Master
Pretty strange but it makes complete sense to tie flies that resemble the bread hatch.

Anyways, it was a great day in Korea and me and my daughter had a great lunch.
I caught my first Carp on a "bread" fly! About 5 years ago I took the kids to a horse ranch for a week. There were Bass and HUGE Carp on the lake that the kids fed bread all day long. I had a great time catching Bass but kept seeing these huge Carp cruising along. I threw everything I had in my flybox with no luck. I finally stripped an old fly, got some sewing thread from the front desk and tied a cigarette filter to the hook and the next morning I caught my first Carp.

wjc

Reaction score
Dan,

No. Milkfish. They look a lot like bones but get 4 or 5 feet long. It's a Southern Pacific specie.

Last edited:

JoJer

Reaction score
At one of the FF expos I went to here one of the luminaries on the bill told a story about how the hotel where he stayed every year on the circuit had a pond with huge carp, but he'd never been able to hook any. He happened to be out by the pond while it was being mowed and saw the carp eating the clippings blowing on to the surface. Went back to his room and tied a "grass fly" from a green scrub pad and, Wa Lah, started catching carp.