Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default Wright & McGill Co. Fly Girl Freshwater Fly Rod

I am wanting to buy my wife a fly rod for xmas so she can join me on the water. I am looking at the wright and mcgill fly girl freshwater. Does anybody have any experience with this rod?

---------- Post added at 06:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:19 PM ----------

Also, I jsut came across the generation II S-Curve ladies fly rod, also by W&M. This rod comes in more size options. Opinions needed on this one also

2. Default Re: Wright & McGill Co. Fly Girl Freshwater Fly Rod

Name has been around for awhile. Not familiar with this line at all. What does
    "limited warranty" mean?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Wright & McGill Co. Fly Girl Freshwater Fly Rod

Hi,

Joni and the other women on the forum are better able to give an answer to my rhetorical question than I could but................. I don't think the rod should differ much whether it is used by a male or a female. I would not be happy if all fly rods were supposed for the exclusive use by women and I had to choose a rod from a very few manufacturers who marketed one called 'Flyboy' before I felt I had the right stick to fish with. Just say'n

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Blog Entries

Sorry. No feedback on the Wright and McGill rig.

Here is another option.

Take a look at the Redington Classic Trout rods. The action is slower, so it is very forgiving to start out with. The grips of the rods seem a little smaller in diameter (at least to me) than grips on rods of the same rod/line weight category. A smaller grip is great for a smaller hand.

Pair the CT up with a Redington Drift reel. The outfit looks slick. Personally I think that the pewter colored reel looks better with the rod.

You can read up on the CT rod in the gear review forum. I wrote one on the 3 weight. Cliff wrote one on the 5 weight.

Dennis

I actually went ahead and ordered the S-Curve rod. I think the only thing that makes it a female rod is a smaller diameter handle and the color of the rod is dark purple instead of brown. I read some really great reviews on this rod, so I figured for 99$ it would be a great beginner rod.

6. Default Re: Wright & McGill Co. Fly Girl Freshwater Fly Rod

I was going to say, a smaller grip as my JWF has a thinner grip. I am not sure a smaller one is needed however, but I have long fingers.
    I just hope the rod is nice because a bad choice can also turn her off of Fly Fishing. A friend of mine gave his wife a Pflueger...man I would have smacked him in the head for that one, what the heck was he thinking...LOL

The fact this rod is built for a woman so to speak, it could be a good thing. Let us know.

Quote Originally Posted by Joni View Post
    I was going to say, a smaller grip as my JWF has a thinner grip. I am not sure a smaller one is needed however, but I have long fingers.
    I just hope the rod is nice because a bad choice can also turn her off of Fly Fishing. A friend of mine gave his wife a Pflueger...man I would have smacked him in the head for that one, what the heck was he thinking...LOL

The fact this rod is built for a woman so to speak, it could be a good thing. Let us know.
    if he also fishes with a pflueger and decided to give his wife a pflueger, then i suppose that's fine.

if my wife were to ever start fly fishing with me, she'd want the EXACT outfit as mine so we would "MATCH"......