Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello

1. Hello

Hello all! I am new to the forums and I'm glad I found a place that has loads of information regarding my favorite pass time. I started fly fishing this year and I'm enjoying every second of it. There is a lot to master in fly fishing, knots, casting etc. I guess i love the challenge.

I have a 6wt rs3 Redington and a 6wt Okuma Halios reel. I also bought the simms g3 guide vest. I tell you what, that vest is incredible. I wish fly fishing was cheaper You guys know what I'm talking about.

Anyway i was hoping someone could help me out. Today I was fishing my local park pond and I caught a fish I've never seen before. This fish looks like a crappie but it has yellow pelvic fins. (Incredible strong) Does anyone know what kind of fish this is? The fish has a mouth similar to that of a bass.

I used a small yellow popper.

2. Default Re: Hello

Would help to know where you are located! Sounds like a tilapia, maybe a yellow perch, a warmouth, peacock bass! So knowing where you were fishing would narrow it down a lot.

Default Re: Hello

Hi devegus,

Welcome to the forum. Consider the cost as an investment. Most gear will last a lifetime. You are investing in your pleasure and satisfaction for the rest of your life. You have a very nice vest with your G3.

I think we need a little more information to identify your fish. Bluegills have yellow fins and fight like the devil.

Here is a picture of the Simms G3 Guide Vest. It is available in more appropriate colors.

4. Default Re: Hello

Sorry, I live in Central IL. This fish has a large mouth, with the same color schema as a large mouth bass. I'm certain this is not a blue gill. I'm taking my camera again in case i catch another one. Oh darn i guess i'll have to go back out again and do more fishing.

Frank, that is exactly the same color as mine.

5. Default Re: Hello

I'm gonna say I think it is a warmouth.

Welcome to the group!

Without seeing it, it sounds like you may have caught a green sunfish, or maybe a spotted bass. There is a critter called a yellow bass, but they look more like a white/striped/hybrid bass than a largemouth.
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1276302_n.jpg

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.

7. Default Re: Hello

Cliff, is the Warmouth and Green Sunfish the same thing? I think I was told it was.
    Roughrider Guide Flies
    www.roughriderguide.net

piranha perhaps?! I'm betting it's a green sunfish.

That's one I caught at a river near my work site....

Here's a link from TPWD on the warmouth. We called 'em goggle-eyes back home in SE TX and they sure put up a good fight. I remember years ago getting into a school of them with my Dad and most were about a pound or so.

Warmouth (Lepomis gulosus)

10. Default Re: Hello

Quote Originally Posted by awmiller View Post
    piranha perhaps?! I'm betting it's a green sunfish.

That's one I caught at a river near my work site....

Hi Awmiller, yes that is the fish i caught. Thanks for posting a picture and thanks to everyone for your help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast