Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Catch and release or catch and eat?

Catch and eat......even the small ones....they all go good next to the salad and taters.....

Bruce

2. Default Re: Catch and release or catch and eat?

very few for me. i like to keep one or two a season for snook and reds. as for the trout (speckled sea trout) in the box fish!!! (as long as they are 18" up). the good thing about living down here is there are plenty of places to buy fresh seafood. (mahi-mahi, snapper, grouper, pompano, scallops, shrimp, crabs and lobster) I have only had fresh water trout when it was on the menu at a resturant in the mountains.
    Let us all share our wisdom with a younger generation. Tight Loops, Tight Lines and Good Fishing to All

3. Default Re: Catch and release or catch and eat?

Im from Argentina and started fishing when i was a child, in those days i did not like any kind of fish. I have guided for a long time and what i find most nice is when i release the fish and you can see them rushing back to the pool. Everytime i remember those moments when not fishing i have a big smile on my face.
    To answer your question i always return the fish.

Regards Nick

Polo Clinic Argentina, Hunting Argentina, Palermo Open, Polo Day, Red Stag Hunting, Travel Argentina, Dove Hunting - T & S Buenos Aires

I have guided for a long time and what i find most nice is when i release the fish and you can see them rushing back to the pool. Everytime i remember those moments when not fishing i have a big smile on my face.
    To answer your question i always return the fish.

Regards Nick

Hi Nick,

Nice to see someone from your area posting. I am with you on this 100%. The bigger the fish the better it feels and you never forget those fish. I stell remember fish I caught 60 years ago.

I might keep one or 2 per year if they're bleeding or go belly up
    after releasing them. I will try to revive them if they're just tired out but sometimes they're too far gone.

I haven't done much trout fishing, but have limited my catch even though where I've done most of my fishing is in Missouri's trout parks. They're put and take based on the number of anglers. I will keep a fish or two for dinner when I take camping trips there, but I know what the stocking rate is per angler and keep it below that to ensure the fishery comes out ahead.

I will keep warmwater fish, but do so from farm ponds and waters that aren't heavily pressured and need fish removed. I will keep those in the freezer till there's enough to make an entree on the serving line for the other monks to enjoy. It takes about ten pounds of filets to make a meal for the monks in my community.

7. Default Re: Catch and release or catch and eat?

Catch and release, if I keep any I have to carry them back then clean them, to much of the not so fun stuff, we hike a lot and some times end up with a long hike back to the truck so I'm not into carring more then I have to, packing out what we pack in is enough so we go lite, I'll eat fish once in awhile mostly from stocked lake and ponds.

Most of the waters I fish here in Colorado are catch and release. Sometimes I fish sections that are for keeps, but I very rarley keep any from there.

Bighorn river, north tongue are very catch and relaease, root river, white water river, and other small MN fisheries i might keep a few for a meal but i like walleye and crappie better for that. hell i quit taking a spinning rod trout fishing 6-7 years ago.

Blog Entries

I have been releasing all of my trout for 32 years. Prior to that I was trying to figure out why people ate them because mine didn't taste very well. I was told to cook them with bacon, and many other means of preparation but never tried them, I just quit keeping them.

My answer was to move to a place where there were fish that taste good but I still let all the trout go free.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast