epic storm in south central alaska

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Casey,

Although I am 300 miles from your parents and we didn't get hit with that storm there has been a lot of snow fall this year. We had a couple feet down until just after Thanksgiving than got a warm spell, 40 - 50* for 4 days. That dropped the snow and left us with a bunch of ice. That was followed with about 16 inches that came in 3 different storms. It kept me busy plowing snow for a week, then came a second warm spell. This one created more surface ice that has made plowing a tricky business. Now, in the past week we have had 2 more storms of about 6 - 8" each and we are back to about 18 - 20" on the ground.

I am so glad we did not get hit with a big one because I am running out of places to put snow. Although the warm weather and rain that came with it melted the drive way and dropped the loft of the ground cover snow drastically, the piles were not affected by too much. I make a great effort at the beginning of winter to move each snow fall as far from the perimeter of our road as I can so that I don't run out of space for the rest of the year but this year we have been hammered.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
i think like 3 or 4 feet in 8 hours!:eek:
WOOF!

Glad that was anyplace but here. Actually we're waaaay behind where we should be in rain let alone snow fall here in Southern Oregon. If this doesn't turn around big time soon we could well be 'in trouble' come Summer. All of (there may be an exception, but doubt it) our rivers in Nor-Cal/So-Oregon are snow feed and with an area 'average' of only 19.5'' per year (rainfall).

We drop below that (we're already 9'' behind where we should be at this point) and things get damned interesting.

fae

drlaser

Reaction score
WOOF!

Glad that was anyplace but here. Actually we're waaaay behind where we should be in rain let alone snow fall here in Southern Oregon. If this doesn't turn around big time soon we could well be 'in trouble' come Summer. All of (there may be an exception, but doubt it) our rivers in Nor-Cal/So-Oregon are snow feed and with an area 'average' of only 19.5'' per year (rainfall).

We drop below that (we're already 9'' behind where we should be at this point) and things get damned interesting.

fae
I know how ya feel Here in Texas most lakes are about 5-15 feet below pool. and yes you did read that right. In my location we are short by about 15 inches of rain.

lthrnk03

Reaction score
Thats crazy! It reminds me of when I was living in Buffalo back in '01 and we got 7 feet of snow in a week. I remember it like it was yesterday. I was living in a 2 story duplex at the time with my girlfriend(now wife). We has a grocery store behind my house which on any normal day was a 5 minute walk. I did that walk during the peak of the storm and it took me 45 minutes. I had my chesapeake bay retriever mix with me, he was maybe 8 months old. The snow was so deep that the only what I knew where he was was my the snow caving in behind him as he pounced through the snow. Good times

popperfly

Reaction score
How often do they remove the snow from their roof…..I couldn’t imagine the amount of weight on the roof from all that snow.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
If we were to get hammered with more than 2' of snow I would have to think about a long day with a shovel. Our roof has a very gentle slope and having more than a couple foot would not be good. Out at the cabin where 6' of snow is the normal cover all our neighbors with flat or semi flat roof out buildings do a lot of shoveling.