adding eyes to flies

jk 8

Reaction score
I could see how adding eyes to streamer patterns like Clousers and Decievers would help a lot, but on things like nymphs and wet flies, I feel like they would be mostly for show. Just my opinion though

JoJer

Reaction score
I feel that you never really know what a fish might key on on any particular day. The more of whatever elements make a representation of a particular food item should help right?
Then, too if you're adding weight, or color, or both why not do it with a material that adds a detail to the "picture"?

Reaction score
I put eyes on big streamers with superglue and they stick right to the dubbing head....so well in fact that i've had to cut them off to put on bigger ones at times.

The eyes on these flies are just stuck on

Reaction score
I could see how adding eyes to streamer patterns like Clousers and Decievers would help a lot, but on things like nymphs and wet flies, I feel like they would be mostly for show. Just my opinion though
I have to disagree. Dragonfly and Damselfly nymphs have quite prominent eyes. The eyes help them hunt other aquatic insects and small fishes. All of the best dragonfly patterns seem to incorporate eyes for these carnivorous bugs. These eyes are usually tied in with deer hair across the shank of the hook, or you can purchase small barbell type eyes to tie into your patterns. Butler's Bug is one example.

I go by this simple rule: If the forage has PROMINENT eyes, tie them in.

Another example is selective cutthroat trout. I have developed chum fry and pink fry patterns for sea run cutties that I use when they are tuned in to a specific size of fry appearing in abundance. These fry come up out of the gravel, collect in small schools and immediately head for the ocean. Cutthroat become VERY selective at this time. They will reject all offerings unless they are a similar size shape and color. I experimented with and without eyes and found that, although the silhouette is most important, the color is not as important as having the eyes tied in. For these flies I use small "sheet" eyes lacquered in.

Some species have "eye" markings on their tails (ie. Redfish), and it is possible they have evolved as a mechanism to escape predation.

Hope this helps,
AAA

Last edited:

FrankB2

Reaction score
I add bead chain eyes to Wooly Buggers, on top of the hook shank. Even smaller eyes will cause the fly to ride with the barb up. That means very few snags. They look like something that just has to be eaten, and work as damsel fly nymphs.

vitesse304

Reaction score
For mysis, eyes are must. The fish really key in on the little black eyes and sometimes that's about all you can see on the live mysis.

For streamers, I can't say that I've seen an increase in catch rate when using eyes or not. Honestly, I think a lot of flies tied these days are created to "catch" fisherman. But if you have confidence in a fly with eyes that catches fish, than that confidence in the pattern is more important than the actual pattern itself.

kglissmeyer1

Reaction score
For specific patterns such as mysis shrimp and damsels, I think the large eyes are a trigger for fish on the hunt and the realism of the eyes as well as their mere presence seems to make a difference in patterns.

Kelly.

BigCliff

Reaction score
I can't tell you how many times that I've read that fish key in on the eyes, but fact is that it's really just show.
Predatory fish seek out a fish's eyes in order to know which direction to eat them.

Think of how easily the dorsal fin on a sunfish can penetrate your skin. Now think about eating one whole from behind. :eek:

And its not like a fish would ever use a false eye spot to help juveniles escape a predators mouth, because they can then swim out headfirst...

grassonfly

Reaction score
the biggest bass around my place i mean 6 - 8 pounders eat mayan cichlids an invasive panfish so im making huge ep minnows in this color

---------- Post added at 07:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:18 PM ----------

an example of my local bass

btw thats my pb 8 pounder :)