Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default adding eyes to flies

is there really a significant advantage in adding eyes to flies or is it just for show?

Default Re: adding eyes to flies

I could see how adding eyes to streamer patterns like Clousers and Decievers would help a lot, but on things like nymphs and wet flies, I feel like they would be mostly for show. Just my opinion though
    "Don't burn the day away" - Dave Matthews Band

I feel that you never really know what a fish might key on on any particular day. The more of whatever elements make a representation of a particular food item should help right?
    Then, too if you're adding weight, or color, or both why not do it with a material that adds a detail to the "picture"?

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privilege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey

well its kinda hard to do that with ep fiber minnows

Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border

Quote Originally Posted by grassonfly View Post
    well its kinda hard to do that with ep fiber minnows
    I put eyes on them. How are you trying to do it?

I put eyes on big streamers with superglue and they stick right to the dubbing head....so well in fact that i've had to cut them off to put on bigger ones at times.

The eyes on these flies are just stuck on
    Eunan

Addicted To Vise Flies

Quote Originally Posted by jk 8 View Post
    I could see how adding eyes to streamer patterns like Clousers and Decievers would help a lot, but on things like nymphs and wet flies, I feel like they would be mostly for show. Just my opinion though
    I have to disagree. Dragonfly and Damselfly nymphs have quite prominent eyes. The eyes help them hunt other aquatic insects and small fishes. All of the best dragonfly patterns seem to incorporate eyes for these carnivorous bugs. These eyes are usually tied in with deer hair across the shank of the hook, or you can purchase small barbell type eyes to tie into your patterns. Butler's Bug is one example.

I go by this simple rule: If the forage has PROMINENT eyes, tie them in.

Another example is selective cutthroat trout. I have developed chum fry and pink fry patterns for sea run cutties that I use when they are tuned in to a specific size of fry appearing in abundance. These fry come up out of the gravel, collect in small schools and immediately head for the ocean. Cutthroat become VERY selective at this time. They will reject all offerings unless they are a similar size shape and color. I experimented with and without eyes and found that, although the silhouette is most important, the color is not as important as having the eyes tied in. For these flies I use small "sheet" eyes lacquered in.

Some species have "eye" markings on their tails (ie. Redfish), and it is possible they have evolved as a mechanism to escape predation.

Hope this helps,
    AAA
    Last edited by anadromous angling addict; 01-02-2012 at 10:01 PM.

Just for show.

Quote Originally Posted by kayo View Post
    Just for show.
    I can't tell you how many times that I've read that fish key in on the eyes, but fact is that it's really just show.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

I add bead chain eyes to Wooly Buggers, on top of the hook shank. Even smaller eyes will cause the fly to ride with the barb up. That means very few snags. They look like something that just has to be eaten, and work as damsel fly nymphs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast