Who are the best all around flyfisherman/fisherman in the world?

theboz

Reaction score
The greatest are men and women who can fish any body of water be it river , lake , ocean , bay or puddle with knowledge and confidence. They do not need a boat or a guide or an ultra expensive stick. They have the ability to read the water , spot the fish and the talent to understand the habitat each species live and what turns them on. With the knowledge theyve acquired over years of hard casting they rarely fail to connect. They are humble and helpful to fellow anglers and they are few and far in between. Having had the honor of meeting several of these great ones over the years I would like to hear from others opinions on what makes a great one and what they were like.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Boz,

Welcome to the Forum :) I won't be much help in identifying the greatest anglers, for me and my fly fishing it's a personal commitment. However I will grant that there have been many people who have contributed greatly through their innovation and ability to communicate their skill to the masses. I am grateful that I did not have to think 'all' of this up on my own, I doubt that I could have or would have without those who have went before me.

Anyway, welcome to the forum,

Ard

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
He can lay down a size 4 Salmonfly dry like it was a size 22 midge.

He can mend a line over 6 different currents to get the perfect drift.

Tarpon bow to him.

He is the most interesting fly fisherman in the world.

Stay thirsty, my friend.

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hey guys first you have to agree:confused:...must the best fisherman have a mustache...a beard ...or both:D:D
Casey sorry to tell you I will cast my vote for Goofy:D

dusty h

Reaction score
Its hard to really say who the best are as im sure there are plenty of unknowns who just fish for themselves but if I have to throw some names out there I will say Brian O'Keefe/Todd Moen and the combination of fishing and content they put out. All of their videos get me excited to go out fishing and i really enjoy all the hard work they put into putting out quality content.

jhammer

Reaction score
I always say me. Then, I usually knock myself off of the list within 5 seconds of fishing. :rolleyes:

Lefty Kreh has been a big influence on me. He's one heck of a fisherman and caster. :cool:

littledavid123

Reaction score
The greatest are men and women who can fish any body of water be it river , lake , ocean , bay or puddle with knowledge and confidence. They do not need a boat or a guide or an ultra expensive stick. They have the ability to read the water , spot the fish and the talent to understand the habitat each species live and what turns them on. With the knowledge theyve acquired over years of hard casting they rarely fail to connect. They are humble and helpful to fellow anglers and they are few and far in between. Having had the honor of meeting several of these great ones over the years I would like to hear from others opinions on what makes a great one and what they were like.
Whether it be a river, lake, ocean, bay or puddle. If you stick with this site long enough I think your answer will be found... Right here. The men/women replying to questions asked. ;)

Dave

Reactions: Ard

wt bash

Reaction score
Oh, and a big mustache helps.
must the best fisherman have a mustache...a beard ...or both
Any and all facial hair is a requirement. The "stash" can help fend off the gnats flying into the shnoz and mouth while the beard can act as a drying patch. The combination can also act as camoflauge, a good gnarly beard can also act as a deterant against low/high holers as well as provide winging material in a pinch. All kidding aside the greatest fisherman are the ones having the most fun and tend not to care too much about it.

Reactions: Ard

futuramille

Reaction score
The best may not be a fisherman....eg. Joan Wolf

I know a few good female fly fisher's and thier approach, tack and handling of each situation is facinating, deadly and if I think about it too much...a little scary.

tbblom

Reaction score
The shop guys at Rocky Mtn. Anglers are all pretty accomplished, but they are willing to share tying knowledge, what flies to use, and where to go (within reason!). They have helped me out a lot with some very subtle hints, and they will help a total noob to learn a few tricks and catch more fish.