Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tiny Creek Gear?

Default Re: Tiny Creek Gear?

that eagle claw looks like a good option, and the right price. I have a line holder i could use, thanks.
    mike

Quote Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
    You might want to look into and Eagle Claw featherweight rod; I think they're still around $16.00 and they fish very well in-close. Here's a link for you:

Eagle Claw Featherlight Fly Rods

Pair it up with an inexpensive line holder and you're pretty well set to try that Spring creek.

Pocono
    I have one of these. I keep it in the truck under the backseat because you never know when you'll need to fish. its actually a REALLY nice rod. I have ti strung with some cheapo 3wt line and it casts wonderfully.

For more deliberate small creek fishing, I have a 7' 3wt St Croix avid that I absolutly adore fishing. its a fantastic rod, I wish I had the chance to use it more actually.
    "When you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all."

Storm Drain Bonefisher

Just got one in the mail today (eBay - $29.95 shipped).
    Had a reel with a wf3f (Rio Grande 3 wt - actually a 3.5wt) line and tried it.
    Casts beautifully with that line!
    It's marked 4/5wt, but a 3 wt line would be no problem, and a 4wt line should work well on short casts.

Got it for my kayak fishing. If I lose it over the side I don't have to lay awake that night worrying about it.
    Mike

take a 9' 5wt. and take apart and fish just fish half the rod, tuck the other half with reel in hip boots.
    sandfly/ bob
    (www.bigmeadowsflyshop.com)
    N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
    from the outer edge of nowhere
    fly tying and fishing Gillie..

I see lots of good advise above. I would like more details on the creek before venturing forth with advise. How tiny? Wading? Dropping a fly over creek side vegitation? Need to cast or just dab one here and there?

A 6 footer for casting. A 10 footer for dabbing.

Blog Entries

this is like the 4th time I've read about those featherlites...so I ordered a 6'6" for my fishing buddy. I hope he hates it and gives it back...-Mike

Blog Entries

I use a 9' or 10'....my son a 9'6....

Not busy today and the rain stopped, so I got the Eagle Claw 6'6" Featherlight out & played around with it some.
    I tried 3, 3.5, 4, & 5 wt lines (all wff) on it, and to my surprise it did well with all of them.
    I left the wf4f line on it for now simply because it's in the middle of the range the rod will handle, but I can easily go up or down one weight as fishing conditions change.
    I just wish Eagle Claw would offer a better quality rod using this blank. The cork & line guides are low end, but I can replace the rod for what most companies charge for warranty repair.
    Mike

Ill have to scout this creek out soon, and get more of an idea and photos I can share. I was think as soem of you mentioned using the 10fter, even though mine is 8wt I would try it for the distance overhead I can get the line. the eagle claw rig is certainly on my list of possibles

Quote Originally Posted by wabi View Post
    I tried 3, 3.5, 4, & 5 wt lines (all wff) on it, and to my surprise it did well with all of them.
    I left the wf4f line on it for now simply because it's in the middle of the range the rod will handle, but I can easily go up or down one weight as fishing conditions change.
    My "Featherlight" is actually a 1963 Wright & McGill "Feather Light".
    They've been making this rod for a long time!
    This 6'6" rod is rated for a HDH line (DT5) but I nearly always fish it with a DT4. I've also used both a WF3 and a DT3 but I like the way the rod loads with the DT4 much better.
    With the 4wt line I can make an acurate cast with just the leader and not much more than a foot of line out of the tip-top.
    Try that with a graphite rod!
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast