Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Upgrading already....

Default Re: Upgrading already....

I am a total gear ***** so i know all about the desire to upgrade. However, i hang on to my rods. I only give them away if there is something i dont care for about it. I still have and use the cheapy Redington Red.Fly2 6wt i learned on. Considering what i know of Orvis equipment, i wuld keep that one too.

I suggest keeping it. That way you have a back up. When a rod breaks it is usually at the least opportune time. If you have family you want to get into the art, buy them a nice, inexpensive starter outfit. Lots to be had from Redington, Allen, TFO, Ross, etc....

I realy like my Scotts', they make some great sticks, but I'm not sure I'd go for the A4 just yet. You can find the A3(pretty much the same rod) for a great deal if you are looking for a rod in the mid price group, I picked up a few new on closeout for about $200 shipped recently. If you want a realy nice rod for all around use go for the S4, I have a few and they're real nice rods, pricey, but nice. If you want a rod for dry's mostly I'd go for the G2 or a nice used G, they're the same blank but the G2 has a new handle and different guides. Spend more of your money on the rod, you'll be happier in the end.

I can not offer anything on the rod selection. As far as reels,the Nautilus is a spectacular reel,you can't go wrong. It is a preferred reel for Saltwater. As Frank mentioned you could get a Allen reel and get a Great rod.
    I own a 8/9 Allen reel and it works great for the Saltwater creeks for Reds and Trout here in Fla. Hope this helps.

Blog Entries

PM Coming your way
    "The fish you're gonna find up here, you're gonna find; Rainbow,Cuttbow,CuttBrowns,Brownbows,RainBrowns,
    CuttyRainbrowns, Pike ,Perch"

"Snap it" Hank Patterson

Blog Entries

The A4 has a subtle change in casting compared to the A3. It feels a touch quicker. I feel that this subtle action change will allow the rod to throw newer generation of streamer tip lines more efficiently. The great thing is that it gives the caster the ability to still throw a dry line very softly. Basically, the versatility window just opened up.

I cannot say anything about the Allen reels because I have not used one.

The newer generation of Nautilus reels is beautiful. Keep in mind that the drag system of the reel has been around for a few years now. It has been proven to be reliable. It is not a heavy drag unit, but it is super smooth. The reel will last you for a long time. I know a few guys who still use first generation FW series reels as their daily drivers.

Why would one want a Nautilus? If "made in USA" is important, there you go. Will Nautilus be around in say five, ten, or twenty years? The Mustad family has been involved in the sport fishing industry for a long time. Nautilus will be around. Can a Nautilus reel be serviced? As long as Nautilus is still in business, the reel will be serviceable.

Congrats on going to the upgrade. I'm glad that your original rig got you to the point that you are ready to go shopping.

Dennis

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wishiniwerfishin View Post
    If you want a rod for dry's mostly I'd go for the G2 or a nice used G, they're the same blank but the G2 has a new handle and different guides.
    Great rod....don't know if I'm right but got both and the G2 looks lighter to me...

Blog Entries

So I was at the flyshop today and they were casting $6-700 rods and they guy selling the rods says " yeah but for almost 1/2 the price you can't beat the Scott A4"

Sounds like you are on the right track
    "The fish you're gonna find up here, you're gonna find; Rainbow,Cuttbow,CuttBrowns,Brownbows,RainBrowns,

"Snap it" Hank Patterson

I've read somewhere, possibly on here, that it is best to spend as much as you can on a rod.
    ??? You do know that the fish can't tell how much you spent on your rod ???
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

Blog Entries

The fish cant tell but the guy holding it can. I went fishing with my buddy today and he historically is a lousy caster, I mean awful but he enjoys fishing tons so it doesnt matter. So he says wow your line doesnt look like mine in the air. So I said here try this...

His first cast was reasonably on target at 30' which is about 6 times his normal range. He said now I see why you spend so much on gear

He wont spend $700 on a rod and I dont blame him but sometimes you get what you pay for and if you cant afford brand new watch the classifieds for when the gear whores revamp their arsenal.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson

I've got cheaper rods, can't help you there. Some day I will sell a car and buy a nice rod.
    My Lamson Konic 2 reel has been great around Colorado, affordable and the drag adjusts down to a very low setting. Maybe a good alternative to save you some money for a better rod?

Instagram page @tblom77

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12