Fly Fishing Clubs

nmmay33

Reaction score
I went to a local sportsman show here in Billings and talked with a guy from Magic City Fly Fishers. He was really friendly and seemed like a good guy to me. I picked up a membership form and some other information. As a new fly fisher, and new to MT (only been here 6 weeks), I thought it might be a good way to meet some local anglers, get some friendly advice, and learn about good fishing spots.

Do you guys think its worth the money to join? It isnt expensive really, but I had never heard of fly fishing clubs before so I am not sure if they are a good resource.

Reaction score
Worth it certainly if you're new to fly fishing as well as the area.
The wealth of knowledge from the anglers will certainly be useful, and you will likely gain more from them as a club member than if you ran into them on the river or at the tackle store. Not many folks like to give up secret spots etc to complete strangers...at least with the club they will get to see you regularly and therefore be more likely to share more.
Not to mention the club may have access to private water not normally accessible to the public

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I've belonged to the Connecticut Fly Fisherman's Association since the 1970's. As a kid I was a "family member" with my father and really couldn't see the point of sitting around talking about fishing when you could actually be out fishing :confused:, so didn't go much. But since that time I've more than warmed up to the idea.

You meet a lot of people with the same interests as yourself. There's a lot to learn from others and others that can learn from you. Our club has beginners and advanced classes for fly fishing and fly tying and a very popular rod building class as well.
We have a stretch of river that we maintain and monitor.
There's monthly meetings with presentations from area and nationally known fly fishing personalities
Comming up on Febuary 4 is our annual Expo and banquet which I'll post information about soon for the local folks
Lefty attended last year, as he seems to fairly regularly. We've also had over the years everyone from Dave Whitlock to Ernest Schwiebert
You learn, you teach, you meet a lot of people, you get to fish with a lot of people.
It's a win/win and something anyone in our sport would enjoy.

Last edited:

Jimmie

Reaction score
Almost everything that I've learned about fly fishing, and fly tying was from being a member of this forum plus my fly fishing club. Well worth it, IMO.
Our club had a number of outings each year that you normally wouldn't know about. Those guys know where and when the fish are. There wasn't a week that would go by that we couldn't find fish somewhere based on their experience.

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
I wish we had enough people for a club up here. If we took everyone from both sides of the border that fly fishes here, making it an international club, we get a grand total of two members, Bill and myself. He lives across the river in Canada. I have joked about making us shirts. Put President Canadian Chapter on his. Sigh......sad huh?

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
I wish we had enough people for a club up here. If we took everyone from both sides of the border that fly fishes here, making it an international club, we get a grand total of two members, Bill and myself. He lives across the river in Canada. I have joked about making us shirts. Put President Canadian Chapter on his. Sigh......sad huh?
Dan: LOL! That is a great idea! :D

oarfish

Reaction score
I went to a local sportsman show here in Billings and talked with a guy from Magic City Fly Fishers. He was really friendly and seemed like a good guy to me. I picked up a membership form and some other information. As a new fly fisher, and new to MT (only been here 6 weeks), I thought it might be a good way to meet some local anglers, get some friendly advice, and learn about good fishing spots.

Do you guys think its worth the money to join? It isnt expensive really, but I had never heard of fly fishing clubs before so I am not sure if they are a good resource.
There worth every penny! the Magic City Fly Fishers $25 yearly family membership is a drop in the bucket compared to what it will bring you back, you'll never regret it! For a reference the club I belong two's due's for a family are $50 a year

Rick

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
Dan: LOL! That is a great idea! :D
I thought so, but Bill told me wouldn't be able to wear it over there. He said "Oh, they would give me way to much guff." Apparently they don't look at us fly fisherman as normal on his side of the river. I thought about making one with Rainy River Spey Club. Maybe small letters that say, "The meeting's wherever I am"

whalensdad

Reaction score
I'll have to agree that they are worth every penny. The key is that you have to "participate". I joined the local TU chapter a year ago. I made it a point to go to as many meetings and events as possible. I've learned so much and met so many people who I would now consider friends. While this board has been invaluable, there is only so much that you can learn from posts. Sometimes you just have to see and try things first hand.

swirlchaser

Reaction score
I think it's worth it. Nothing better than sharing local knowledge and being in a fishing club will get you that inside info. Eventually you'll get on the "cel phone list". It's a great thing when I'm sitting on a beach and I get a phone call telling me i'm a mile too far south or north. More than half of the bitzes I've enjoyed where because a club buddy took a minute to call me. :D

---------- Post added at 07:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:28 PM ----------

Dan,
If you send me a t-shirt I'll be the salty east coast president