What's Your Highest Altitude Fishing Spot?

tbblom

Reaction score
The lake behind me is at 11,900'. Wondering how high up people have gone and still caught a few.

The fish I caught at that lake:

Way ultralight, no net, no waders, no sandals, and a bit of 6x!

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
I grew up in the mountains in Colorado. When I lived in Dillion, my house was at almost 10,000 feet. There are some small lakes up by Leadville that are about as high as the one you are at that I fished, and some in the Rocky Mountain National Park like Arrowhead that are around that high to. When I was used to living at that altitude and was younger it was not that hard. Now days, not so sure. I'd definately need to take more breaks on the hike.

Sasha

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Highest for me was 11,600 in the Eastern Sierras. I took some pics on the way up (I'll look for em later) but the camera died just prior to getting to the upper lake.

mikel

Reaction score
Something approaching 11,000 ft. Traihead at Virginia Lakes is 9,700 plus a little and you go up from there. We do a September trip there every year. :)

littledavid123

Reaction score
The highest ever fished by me is a small lake near Seeley Lake Montana, elevation approximately 4500'. Am certainly envious of those who've fished the alpine lakes.

Great Post

Dave

mojo

Reaction score
Off the top of my head, the Uinta's Mirror Lake is 10,050. There are a few lakes higher (just below Bald Mt. summit that are about 500' higher. Smaller fish, short growing season. Snow in July and beautiful.

williamhj

Reaction score
Highest one so far was about 11,400. Caught some beautiful trout on a size 16 beetle. There was snow on the shaded side still at the end of August. I hate to think what it would feel like to stand up there right now.

auntrout

Reaction score
About 10,300 in the Mosquito Flats area above Rock Creek Lake in the Eastern Sierras

Sasha

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Ok found the few pics I took on the hike in.

On the way up:

Looking back from where we came from:

The first signs of a lake:

Caught some rat brookies in the lake. It was fun but not just because of the fishing :)

madjoni

Reaction score
The lake behind me is at 11,900'. Wondering how high up people have gone and still caught a few.
What a nice scenery :cool:
I wish that we have that species of trout you have because no one of ours can live above 6000ft:(

williamhj

Reaction score
Thought I'd add a couple pictures from the lake I mentioned above. The first is a view of the lake after the climb, there are a couple lakes above this one, which feed into it. I'll have to fish them sometime too.

And this is a view of the mountains looking out from the lake.

Look forward to the weather warming up so I can get out there again.

chuck s

Reaction score
A beaver pond below the top on Cannibal's plateau. Somewhere up near 12,000 ft I'd say. Either that or over near the head of the Roaring Fork again getting close to that 12 grand mark. Here where I fish regularly all water is over 7,000 and my favorite home spot is likely right about 8500 ft.:cool: