Theme Ideas?

bloodmeridian

Reaction score
Have you guys heard of the online magazine, Blood Knot? We're currently surveying anglers for future issue theme ideas! We just released the 2nd Annual Blogger Issue which can be read for free if you Google "Blood Knot Magazine". Each and every issue has a theme and we're interested in hearing your ideas! So please post them here!!

grassonfly

Reaction score
one month do a trash fish thing. Fish that purist hate and why theyre great to fish examples- redhorse, carp, grass carp

bloodmeridian

Reaction score
Almost every article no matter where it is, is just more of the same kind of stuff.
Double-D, there in lies the challenge. And in a sense, you're right! It seems that across all fly media, readers are asking for more destination pieces on areas each of us can actually get to (that aren't exclusively for the rich, or for those with 6 weeks a year of vacation time). Readers are also asking for bits about anglers thinking outside the box using gear and tactics that aren't outrageously priced, and anything "non-purist."

---------- Post added at 10:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 PM ----------

one month do a trash fish thing. Fish that purist hate and why theyre great to fish examples- redhorse, carp, grass carp
Thanks Grass! You know, in our early days we did a "No Trout Issue", and it's one of my favorites. We'd love to one-up that issue sometime soon. Let me ask you, what percentage of users on this forum do you believe are "purists"? Great response!

mbphotos54

Reaction score
odd or strange types of fishing would be cool, but I agree with grass about seeing more non trout stuff associated with ff, once it gets warm and the bass and gills, and such start to get active I wont even try for trout... I only fish for them because it sthe only thing biting right now and i gotta keep fishing..

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
While times they are a-changing; a series of articles about the fundamental roots of what spawned the romance with fly fishing in the late 20'th century through today would do justice to any fly fishing publication.

People are drawn to this pursuit by a myriad of pulses, not in the least is the romance and nostalgia associated with the names and the places which have contributed so greatly in making the sport of fly fishing what is has become. The classic New England feather wing streamers; who has never heard of The Gray Ghost. The Catskill and Mid Atlantic legends; again, who has not heard of Quill Gordon or The Light Cahill. Those fabled streams & rivers that laid the ground work for our obsession with this sport, Beaverkill, Battenkill, Madison, Letort, Snake, Rogue, and on and on.

While addressing those who pursue warm water fishes with the fly is credible and justly due, you should not overlook your duty to instruct and inform your readership of the deep and rich heritage of this sport that was born and bred by those trout aficionados who lent their lives and namesakes to making this the most noble of 'hobby'.

There I go again, leave it to me to rain on a perfectly good parade :rain:

grassonfly

Reaction score
Double-D, there in lies the challenge. And in a sense, you're right! It seems that across all fly media, readers are asking for more destination pieces on areas each of us can actually get to (that aren't exclusively for the rich, or for those with 6 weeks a year of vacation time). Readers are also asking for bits about anglers thinking outside the box using gear and tactics that aren't outrageously priced, and anything "non-purist."

---------- Post added at 10:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 PM ----------

Thanks Grass! You know, in our early days we did a "No Trout Issue", and it's one of my favorites. We'd love to one-up that issue sometime soon. Let me ask you, what percentage of users on this forum do you believe are "purists"? Great response!
I would say there are probably only one or two guys on this forum that are purists.

mikel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bloodmeridian
"It seems that across all fly media, readers are asking for more destination pieces on areas each of us can actually get to (that aren't exclusively for the rich, or for those with 6 weeks a year of vacation time)."

I think that's a great idea as long as you don't start outing fragile waters that really can't take much more pressure and remain healthy and viable.

Grassonfly...There are a lot of purists here. They just don't all agree on what being a purist means. :)

I honestly don't read any ff magazines or e-zines. Guess I'm not your target audience?

-m