Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

View Poll Results: Do you carry a survival kit?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

21 40.38%
  • No

31 59.62%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Default Re: Do you carry a survival kit?

Whistle, paracord, space blankie, swedish steel,

Default Re: Do you carry a survival kit?

I voted no and here's why. Even if I'm in an unfamiliar or remote place, I'm following a stream. If I get lost doing that, "survival" may not be my biggest problem.

Depending on what I'm doing, I do carry a few things.
    I carry a lighter. I carry a whistle but only to get the attention of my fishing partner. In my kayak I'll have a water bottle, a signal mirror, and a compass.

When flats fishing I'll always carry a compass and take regular readings. If a fog rolls in you can get very disoriented as it even affects any noises from shore.
    Fog plus a rising tide will kill you if you're not aware and prepared.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

I voted yes, but my kit varies greatly depending on the conditions, and locations I am fishing. The minimum I carry: Multitool, small 5 minute size marnesium road flare, a small magnesium fire starter, 20 feet of 300 pound strength cord, and Benedryl pills.

If its very wet weather the magnesium fire starter may not get a fire going, but I think you could set a wet rock on fire with the road flare! Run into a mess of hornets, and the Benedryl may save your life....or at least make it more tolerable.
    Homer

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.

I voted no. I plan to carry one when I eventually have the time to fish remote waters. Currently I'm always too close to civilization . Growing up in NYC my survival kit included fishing with a good friend and brass knuckles or a roll of pennies
    The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his fly.

Hi guys,

I voted no too.
    Things you'd find in my fanny pack would include a serrated blade folding knife, a Bic lighter in a small plastic ziploc bag, a few folded paper towels.
    In another plastic bag a few each of 81 mg. chewable aspirin, ibuprofen and diphenhydramine tabs. A 5 mil dropper of Naphcon-A, a dropper of original Visine. Also there is a SPF 30 lip balm and a small tube of SPF 30 sunscreen for reapplications and a couple of bandaids of different sizes. I always have water bottle(s). Sometimes you'd find a separate holster with a canister of Bear spray. I don't carry a cell phone, there's no coverage.

Whoa, I forgot one more item........CASH!

Best, TT

There's a part of me thats really surprised more people don't carry a survival kit, though I guess if you aren't fishing remote waters, I'm not that surprised. I can't say that I fish waters that are THAT remote, but I'd hate to get caught with my pants down. I am a life long subscriber to Murphy's Law.

I generally carry too much stuff but when I was a kid it came in handy once when My father and I took an unexpected dunk in a remote ice cold lake. When we got to shore we had one boot between the two of us but the pack I had left on shore had a full change of clothes and a spare fishing rod. Dad used the rod and an old raft to fish all our gear from the lake bottom, including the much needed missing boots to hike out.
    "I cast my hook into a single stream; but my pleasure is as if I owned a kingdom." - Chi K'ang (223-262)

I don't know if you would call it a "kit" but here is what I take with me/do on most all adventures.

First I leave the GPS of where I am parking with my wife. This way if something happens, the SAR will have a starting point.

Two I take the following. Change of clothes, some form of blanket, extra food and water. As I am going to be near water I will also take a Seychelles Advanced water filter bottle and a basic first aid kit. I also take some form of firearm. I thought about getting a Sat phone for some of my more remote adventures. As of now I have not gotten one. I also carry other basic items that I have not listed in this post.

Quote Originally Posted by lthrnk03 View Post
    There's a part of me thats really surprised more people don't carry a survival kit, though I guess if you aren't fishing remote waters, I'm not that surprised. I can't say that I fish waters that are THAT remote, but I'd hate to get caught with my pants down. I am a life long subscriber to Murphy's Law.
    I envy you guys for having remote waters to escape to. This is the Verrazano Bridge, 190,000 vehicles cross this bridge DAILY to get into Manhattan and Brooklyn and I catch Stripers under it
    [IMG][/IMG]
    The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his fly.

I voted yes, but it varies based on conditions, distance to vehicle, moving or standing water, ambient temp, etc...

At MINIMUM, a small first-aid kit, Leatherman tool, dry matches, compass, & whistle.

Add bottled water, spare clothes, space blanket, small mechanical advantage rope system (8mm cord 3:1 MA rig) to retrieve canoe or kayak jammed in rocks, floating rope throw-bag, and sometimes a MRE or two.

Some other great ideas in this tread, so I may re-assess what I'm carrying, or what I SHOULD carry!
    - Rick

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast