The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

View Poll Results: Do you carry a survival kit?
Yes 21 40.38%
No 31 59.62%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 01-26-2012, 08:27 AM

TAT is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Do you carry a survival kit?

Whistle, paracord, space blankie, swedish steel,
Old 01-26-2012, 08:58 AM
Do you carry a survival kit?

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I voted no and here's why. Even if I'm in an unfamiliar or remote place, I'm following a stream. If I get lost doing that, "survival" may not be my biggest problem.

Depending on what I'm doing, I do carry a few things.
I carry a lighter. I carry a whistle but only to get the attention of my fishing partner. In my kayak I'll have a water bottle, a signal mirror, and a compass.

When flats fishing I'll always carry a compass and take regular readings. If a fog rolls in you can get very disoriented as it even affects any noises from shore.
Fog plus a rising tide will kill you if you're not aware and prepared.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:33 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

I voted yes, but my kit varies greatly depending on the conditions, and locations I am fishing. The minimum I carry: Multitool, small 5 minute size marnesium road flare, a small magnesium fire starter, 20 feet of 300 pound strength cord, and Benedryl pills.

If its very wet weather the magnesium fire starter may not get a fire going, but I think you could set a wet rock on fire with the road flare! Run into a mess of hornets, and the Benedryl may save your life....or at least make it more tolerable.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:45 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

I voted no. I plan to carry one when I eventually have the time to fish remote waters. Currently I'm always too close to civilization . Growing up in NYC my survival kit included fishing with a good friend and brass knuckles or a roll of pennies
Old 01-26-2012, 10:24 AM

trout trekker has much to be proud oftrout trekker has much to be proud oftrout trekker has much to be proud oftrout trekker has much to be proud oftrout trekker has much to be proud oftrout trekker has much to be proud oftrout trekker has much to be proud oftrout trekker has much to be proud oftrout trekker has much to be proud oftrout trekker has much to be proud of

Hi guys,

I voted no too.
Things you'd find in my fanny pack would include a serrated blade folding knife, a Bic lighter in a small plastic ziploc bag, a few folded paper towels.
In another plastic bag a few each of 81 mg. chewable aspirin, ibuprofen and diphenhydramine tabs. A 5 mil dropper of Naphcon-A, a dropper of original Visine. Also there is a SPF 30 lip balm and a small tube of SPF 30 sunscreen for reapplications and a couple of bandaids of different sizes. I always have water bottle(s). Sometimes you'd find a separate holster with a canister of Bear spray. I don't carry a cell phone, there's no coverage.

Whoa, I forgot one more item........CASH!

Best, TT
Old 01-26-2012, 02:30 PM

lthrnk03 is a splendid one to beholdlthrnk03 is a splendid one to beholdlthrnk03 is a splendid one to beholdlthrnk03 is a splendid one to beholdlthrnk03 is a splendid one to beholdlthrnk03 is a splendid one to beholdlthrnk03 is a splendid one to behold

There's a part of me thats really surprised more people don't carry a survival kit, though I guess if you aren't fishing remote waters, I'm not that surprised. I can't say that I fish waters that are THAT remote, but I'd hate to get caught with my pants down. I am a life long subscriber to Murphy's Law.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:44 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

I generally carry too much stuff but when I was a kid it came in handy once when My father and I took an unexpected dunk in a remote ice cold lake. When we got to shore we had one boot between the two of us but the pack I had left on shore had a full change of clothes and a spare fishing rod. Dad used the rod and an old raft to fish all our gear from the lake bottom, including the much needed missing boots to hike out.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:52 PM
Banned

Sasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to behold

I don't know if you would call it a "kit" but here is what I take with me/do on most all adventures.

First I leave the GPS of where I am parking with my wife. This way if something happens, the SAR will have a starting point.

Two I take the following. Change of clothes, some form of blanket, extra food and water. As I am going to be near water I will also take a Seychelles Advanced water filter bottle and a basic first aid kit. I also take some form of firearm. I thought about getting a Sat phone for some of my more remote adventures. As of now I have not gotten one. I also carry other basic items that I have not listed in this post.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:55 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lthrnk03 View Post
There's a part of me thats really surprised more people don't carry a survival kit, though I guess if you aren't fishing remote waters, I'm not that surprised. I can't say that I fish waters that are THAT remote, but I'd hate to get caught with my pants down. I am a life long subscriber to Murphy's Law.
I envy you guys for having remote waters to escape to. This is the Verrazano Bridge, 190,000 vehicles cross this bridge DAILY to get into Manhattan and Brooklyn and I catch Stripers under it
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
Old 01-26-2012, 03:11 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

I voted yes, but it varies based on conditions, distance to vehicle, moving or standing water, ambient temp, etc...

At MINIMUM, a small first-aid kit, Leatherman tool, dry matches, compass, & whistle.

Add bottled water, spare clothes, space blanket, small mechanical advantage rope system (8mm cord 3:1 MA rig) to retrieve canoe or kayak jammed in rocks, floating rope throw-bag, and sometimes a MRE or two.

Some other great ideas in this tread, so I may re-assess what I'm carrying, or what I SHOULD carry!

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky