Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 50

Thread: Question for the float tube guys

  1. Default Question for the float tube guys

    I had a question for the float tube guys (hopefully I posted in the right section) I have never owned a float tube before but I am interested in getting my first one, I am trying to decide what boat would best suit my needs. I mostly fish the eastern sierras Crowley, convict, Virginia, twin lakes.

    I am trying to decide between getting a small super portable u tube type, or a nice pontoon style float tube. I am curious how important it is to have a casting deck you can stand on with a pontoon style (like a scadden x5) I love the idea of it but don't know how often people actually stand and sight fish?

    Thanks in advance for your help guys
    Love the forum, stoked that I stumbled across it.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Wasilla / Skwentna, Alaska
    Posts
    15,248
    Blog Entries
    111

    Default Re: Question for the float tube guys

    Hello & welcome to the forum,

    Soon some of the members will spot your question and the replies will come. We have a lot of people using various types of tubes and rafts and they will come through for you. I don't have any experience with these, my boats are framed pontoon rafts and aluminum river boat types. Keep an eye peeled and they'll find the post.

    In the mean time, here's a link to a thread with some info: Comparing NFO to Watermaster Inflatables

    If you look across the menu strip at the top of this page you'll see the option to Search. Type the name of what you are considering into the drop down box and hit 'Go', this will turn up all threads which contain the key words of your search. Hope that gets you started,

    Ard

    Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

    Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

  3. #3

    Default Re: Question for the float tube guys

    Sorry to steal this thread, but I also had a qeustion if anyone can answer.

    Do you use lung power or a pump to blow up your float tube when hiking?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
    Posts
    4,752

    Default Re: Question for the float tube guys

    I've got a float tube. I don't have a problem casting from it. The only real problem with them is that you have about half of you in the water. If it's really cold you would be better off with a pontoon type. If you get one that has a stand up platform you will be able to cast farther, but keep in mind, it's not like wading where you can't move closer. The cost of a pontoon you can stand up on will buy you a fleet of tubes. Then there is also the how long are you planning to fish (Comfort) and how much stuff are you thinking about dragging along? I'm thinking about the pontoon myself for just these reasons.

    iciclecreek was posting at the same time so I edited for him. Pump. 12 volt plugs into the lighter in the car.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ben Lomond, Ca
    Posts
    2,252
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default Re: Question for the float tube guys

    I fish all the waters you have listed from a Fish Cat 4 tube. It's not elegant, but it's safe and reliable...like 5 or 6 yrs so far with no issues. There are both cheaper and pricier tubes and there are many folk happy with many different tubes. It's how much are you willing to pay and what do you require?

    Pontoon boats move faster and keep you out of the water more, but get blown by the wind a little more too. They are a little more effort to set up and weigh significantly more. Many have a wheel to help with transport to the water's edge. You can also put a trolling motor on many for even easier/longer movement.

    There are also prams, rafts, kayaks (hard sided or inflatable) canoes and probably other crafts to consider.

    Will you ever want to hike and carry your craft into the backcountry? If so there are also some very lightweight tubes out there. I put my fish cat on my back at age 63 and walk up to 3 miles with it to get to some waters. I don't go further than 3 mi on a day trip. Ugh

    There's a lot for you to consider, but most depends on how YOU WANT TO FISH and how much dinero you're willing to part with...at least, that's my 2 cents.

  6. Default Re: Question for the float tube guys

    Quote Originally Posted by mikel View Post
    I fish all the waters you have listed from a Fish Cat 4 tube. It's not elegant, but it's safe and reliable...like 5 or 6 yrs so far with no issues. There are both cheaper and pricier tubes and there are many folk happy with many different tubes. It's how much are you willing to pay and what do you require?

    Pontoon boats move faster and keep you out of the water more, but get blown by the wind a little more too. They are a little more effort to set up and weigh significantly more. Many have a wheel to help with transport to the water's edge. You can also put a trolling motor on many for even easier/longer movement.

    There are also prams, rafts, kayaks (hard sided or inflatable) canoes and probably other crafts to consider.

    Will you ever want to hike and carry your craft into the backcountry? If so there are also some very lightweight tubes out there. I put my fish cat on my back at age 63 and walk up to 3 miles with it to get to some waters. I don't go further than 3 mi on a day trip. Ugh

    There's a lot for you to consider, but most depends on how YOU WANT TO FISH and how much dinero you're willing to part with...at least, that's my 2 cents.
    LOL, so much to consider. I have a fifth wheel that I take up to bridgeport now so i don't bring my inflatable (too much weight) I have never done the float tube thing so I am a total noob at what it might be like out there.

    I am definitely gonna get a small light cheapy for getting into the upper Virginia lakes and a few other spots. I would love to be able to fish the bigger lakes somewhat easily though. Would be a lot of kicking to get were your going on Bridgeport or Crowley. I wonder how stable they are when you stand on a dave scadden x5? I would rather not spend the money but I would prefer to get the right boat the first time.

    I think a good plan for me is to get a decent small one and then go to troutfitter and try and rent a stand up boat.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ben Lomond, Ca
    Posts
    2,252
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default Re: Question for the float tube guys

    Quote Originally Posted by greenfish4 View Post
    I think a good plan for me is to get a decent small one and then go to troutfitter and try and rent a stand up boat.
    The Troutfitter in Mammoth Lakes? If that's what you mean, you can rent a FC 4 like mine there as well, just to get a feel for the tube thing. I think they MIGHT rent some of the better tubes too, but not certain. Trying before you buy makes a lot of sense to me....

    I drive to where I want to be on Crowley and then launch my tube...don't fish Bport res or Topaz...at least so far...

  8. Default Re: Question for the float tube guys

    Quote Originally Posted by mikel View Post
    The Troutfitter in Mammoth Lakes? If that's what you mean, you can rent a FC 4 like mine there as well, just to get a feel for the tube thing. I think they MIGHT rent some of the better tubes too, but not certain. Trying before you buy makes a lot of sense to me....

    I drive to where I want to be on Crowley and then launch my tube...don't fish Bport res or Topaz...at least so far...
    I have never done well on Bport, but I have seen some HUGE fish there when I stayed at paradise shores. I go up there for the east walker and twin more than anything. Think I might spend some time focusing on Crowley and convict this year (hence the float tube fixation) I called Troutfitter and they said they only rent the smaller creek company tubes. I talked to her about trying to get a stand up for demo, she was stoked on the idea it sounded like. Anyway I have a few months to think about it. I guess I am just having withdrawals LOL.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Question for the float tube guys

    i reciently got the NFO Bladderless Skykomish Sunrise H20 Pontoon and think it is great. iv spent about a total of 8 hours in it sofar. it has the stand up platform so i dont think it would work well for hikeing.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Question for the float tube guys

    How old are you?
    How's the legs?
    How much are you going to use it?
    How much do you want to spend?
    I've had float tubes from the old donuts, to the U-boat, to the Fat Cat design to the NFO (Scadden) H3 and NFO Escape. Truck innertube, vinyl bladder, urethane, to bladderless.
    Most tubes now days are made in China so that's that.
    You'll be sitting in the water, or will have water coming into your lap with every tube but NFO's Escape.
    Most of today's tubes have vinyl bladders, and a few more expensive ones have urethane, with NFO's being bladderless.
    Kickboats, the same. 90% are made in China. Very few have the standing platforms, with again, NFO having the most models. I have a X5 and Outlaw XX- both bladderless, both the new design in kickboats. I've owned Leigh, Outcast, Buck's Bags and Scadden boats. I'll never go back to a 2 pontoon framed boat ever again. The uni track style is much more stable than a two pontoon type and the frameless models are much lighter too. As an X5 owner, I do use the standing platform a little, but not that much. It has it's place.

    I had a Renegade, and sold it for the Outlaw XX. I can stand on that, but again, that has it's time and place. The X5 can be set up with my 5 hp Nissan or electric trolling motor, and the XX is the same way.
    Life is not like a bowl of cherries. It's more like a jar of ghost peppers. What you eat today might burn your ass tomorrow...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. float tube fins?
    By caseywise in forum Fly Fishing How To's
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 12-18-2014, 11:28 PM
  2. float tube!?
    By christianfishn in forum Other Gear
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 01-23-2011, 09:44 AM
  3. My new float tube!!
    By tgoodwater2002 in forum Warmwater Fly Fishing
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-14-2009, 09:12 PM
  4. Float Tube Fins
    By FlyDog in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-07-2008, 08:32 PM
  5. Float Tube
    By FlyByNight in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-28-2007, 11:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •