Looking for a new 5/6 wt?

iciclecreek

Reaction score
I am looking to get a new 5 or 6 wt with a fast enough action to throw some streamers. I don't want to spend more than $300 because I won't be using this rod as much. More of a winter rod for those little fishing trips. I want to get it before I go to bozeman MT to ski. this will be for mostly trout.

Anyone fished with a TFO or Redington?

Thanks for the help,

kayo

Reaction score
My go to 4 piece rod the Lefty Krech TiCrX 9' 6wt. a fast/med rod, execellent
rod for the money. Light 3.8oz. with execellent factory warrenty.

Reaction score
I have Albright A5-NS 9' 5wt i bought last summer. Nice light rod, but powerful. I love how it casts. Currently on sale too. Its a 5 piece also, so convenient for travel. This does not take away from the quality or strength of the rod in my opinion.

I've thrown beadheads and bead chain eye flies (up to size 2)with this rod with no problems on casts up to about 35 feet. Depending on the size of streamers you plan to use, I'd say this rod is pretty well suited for streamers size 2 and smaller.

It has been my go to rod, until i picked up an Allen 3 wt, so now the 5 wt is for bigger trout streams/river, and the 3 wt for small creeks etc.

Here is the Albright Warranty Information.

Hope this helps

tbblom

Reaction score
I have an Albright GP 5/6. It was very affordable, and kinda classy looking with the wood grain.
I have caught some tailwater whoppers up to 20" on it. Very soft tip, the power is in the butt. Chucks streamers decently, but I can't get the timing down to shoot very far with it (as compared with my other 5wt, a fast Cabelas traditional II).
It excels most with nymph rigs, indy rigs, and dry dropper setups for me. Still soft enough to lay down a #24 adams though if need be.

gatortransplant

Reaction score
I have a medium-fast Allen Xa that can fling even ugly articulated streamers well, so certainly you don't have to go all the way to a fast action to get them out there. Depending on the length you want, it's going to run you $230-240 MSRP. The warranty on Allen products is incredible (I've unfortunately had the distinction of testing it twice, both times my fault). I can't complain when I send a claim late Wednesday night and get the replacement by the following Monday :p

Personally, I love my 10' 6wt Xa for its versatility, so as a go-to tripping rod, I'd suggest it.

jk 8

Reaction score
Speaking only from a "deal" perspective, I have been looking at getting this Cabelas setup in an 8wt. For the $$ how can you go wrong??

Cabela's: Cabela's RLS Fly Outfits
Cabelas offers a TFO Professional/RLS Reel combo with SA GPX line for 280, I have the 4wt. Rod is great as always and the reel has been good, stopped a surprise 20" smallie that I caught while bluegill fishing relatively well, and has a nice look.

I recommend TFO to everyone. I know theyre not American made, which is the one downside, but for the price, you really cant beat their rods.

Vans

Reaction score
I have fished with Redingtons and really like them. I only own one at the moment but i am planning on getting another. Great rod for the price.

colin272

Reaction score
I have a 9ft 6wt redington with sinking line on it and I through #4 wollybugars with weighted eyes. That rod throughs like a dream my cast are not always pretty but it gets it out there.i bought it on sale from cabelas for 40 bucks.