A foray into film-making... *cough cough*

gatortransplant

Reaction score
SO, this is hardly a film, but I decided to test out the video capabilities on the new point-n-shoot as well as trying my hand at iMovie. Here are the results. Feel free to be critical!

[ame="http://vimeo.com/36264365"]Beating the Skunk HD on Vimeo[/ame]

And awful or not, this was quite fun to make! Now I want to make more!

NOW IN HD :wiggle:

Last edited:

lthrnk03

Reaction score
Fantastic video! I think we might have the next next Martin Scorcese amongst us!

All joking aside, Great video! Looking forward to seeing more.

webrx

Reaction score
well done, and the music was cool too.

Great start, now you just need to put a full length one together and see if you can win a Drake award.

d

Noiso

Reaction score
Nice shooting. I might put the great song that you chose a little lower in the mix volume-wise. Can't wait to see more.

gatortransplant

Reaction score
Thanks for all the compliments guys! I have now posted the HD version in place of the original. I'm pretty excited to start shooting more video now, especially since I picked up a polarizer for my camera (still trying to figure it out though, should probably start reading up on this whole camera use thing...).

Noiso, I wasn't sure about volume, that's definitely an area of the production I need to work on. I kind of wanted the music to blur out the words, when I didn't completely remove them. That's definitely on the docket for the next work keeping a better eye on the sound effects/music.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
AJ: Very impressive work, can't wait to see what you do on the next trip! Loved your choice of music also!

ted4887

Reaction score
Love this video. Excellent work! I wouldn't have guessed it was your first one. Hopefully see more from you in the future.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
:rain:
I hate to be the one to rain on your parade A.J. (cuz I enjoyed the video) but fighting and landing a fish like that, with your rod angled up behind your head, is the surest way I know to turn a 4 piece rod into a 5 piece.

gatortransplant

Reaction score
Not raining on the parade at all, Rip! I've been giving the Allen warranty a run for its money, so I'll work on the technique so I don't go exploding a rod and sending their warehouse guy toward an aneurysm...

Glad you enjoyed it, and thanks for the tip!

vitesse304

Reaction score
Another little bit of info to help you improve!

Get a net. Land fish faster and easier than by hand (especially big fish like that!). If you're making videos to document your fishing, someone down the road is going to complain that are playing the fish too long, or hurting the fish by picking it up, or letting it run on to the bank, etc...

Plus, it makes it easier for you!

Also, I gotta agree with rip. No need to put that kind of pressure on the rod, your line or your hooks!

Utilize angles and make the current work for you to keep him facing upstream. Your not letting the rod and line work the fish when you are forcing such a bend by putting the rod behind you. It looks like you are trying to pull the fish around when you bring the rod behind you, but if you drop the tip to your left, you are still putting good pressure and making the fish turn upstream.

Anyways, good work and nice fish!!!