Mentors. How much influence on you as a flyfisherman ?

theboz

Reaction score
I consider myself privileged for having several mentors guiding me through my life in fishing. One imparticular influenced the way I approached the sport in the surf as well as how I conducted myself.Respecting fish was not an option with this man but rule of thumb . He made long casts look effortless and finding fish simple . And he shared his wisdom about the sport with me freely and I will never forget his teachings.
Did you have a mentor and how did he influence you. I'd like to hear about it.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Boz,

Sorry but I can't write it all here, I never had a constant helping me out but one day I met this guy. I will PM you the link to the story.

Ard

wannafish

Reaction score
Yes I have to say I've had a mentor that helped tremendously in the steep learning curve at the beginning. He kept saying "I shouldn't be telling you this but..." and then he would proceed to give up all his secrets; I guess my innocence just drew it out of him :cool:

lightline

Reaction score
During the early 80's, AK Best taught me nearly everything I know about fly tying. Tools, techniques, choosing materials, "don't take any sh** from your materials," God gave you the best whip finisher there is" (two fingers), "don't put down your sissors," etc. etc.

A client I guided a lot in the 90's showed me the meaning of fly fishing. He showed me it was ok to fish the way you like all the time, numbers meant nothing, and the hatch and the rise would eventually come. He showed me how to slow down and observe. He taught me patience. In effect, this one man made me who I am today on a river with a fly rod.

There's many more, but those two stand out.

Jimmie

Reaction score
Some at my FF Club gave of their time to teach tying; casting; fishing. I owe everything that I know about FFing to them, and those on this Forum that share their knowledge.

Reactions: Ard

tbblom

Reaction score
Unfortunately no real mentors that I fish with... And I am famous for learning things the hard way!

But, Jay and Randy at Rocky mountain anglers have given me countless small valuable pointers that have helped me improve. When I started out, I stopped in to buy some flies. I was overwhelmed with "try PMDs, BWOs, some PTs, Barr emergers, and maybe some princes."
I had to admit that he "could have basically been speaking Chinese to me" and that I had no clue what he was talking about. Jay picked me out a few, gave me a few tips, and I started catching fish. I later found out he is a published author, pro guide, pro fly tier, etc. Never would have guessed because he is just a nice guy that was helping a complete novice! Climbing is the same way, the 'Best' of the pros don't care if you suck as long as you love what you are doing. To me that is the best attitude. Better to help someone not suck than to laugh at them sucking/abusing fish.

One afternoon fishing the 'toilet bowl', I received a ton of help on fighting bigger fish more effectively from a guy that was willing to share the sweet spot. Amazing what one afternoon with someone more experienced will do.

I've gotta say, this site and its members act as mentors. I've learned so much more about casting, presentation, and gear since visiting this site.

Thanks again to the veterans for sharing so much valuable information
with those of us who are still 'falling in love' with the art of fly fishing.:thmbup:

planettrout

Reaction score
Back in 1975, I was fortunate enough to hook up with this interesting fellow who worked with Chuck Fothergill at Chuck's shop in Aspen, CO...

Georges Odier

...some of my fellow dinosaurs might recall who he was...

PT/TB ;)

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
I have never had what you would call a mentor. In fact I never had what could even remotly be called a mentor. When I was a fairly young kid my Dad bought me me first fly rod. He showed me how to cast it. Then my parents promptly got divorced. This put a serious dent in my ability to have him teach me stuff without my younger siblings along. He got me the basic casting stuff and then I was on my own. Everything I have learned since has been from books, magazines or video. So basically, my mentor has been the modern worlds ability to spread information. Now days my most influential mentor has the first and last names, You and Tube.

lthrnk03

Reaction score
My mentor....thats pretty easy. My dad.....he's the one who introduced me to fly fishing. He's a casting instructor at his local club and working on his FFF Casting Instructor Certification. He's my Yoda.... We tend to get together once or twice a year to fish, but talk fly fishing all the time.

littledavid123

Reaction score
My fly fishing mentor, would be the ladies/gentlemen of this forum whom have given their time and lent me their experience.

Granpa was my mentor for what is truly important about fishing. It was granpa who showed me the value of patience, how to listen to the forest and understand the natural rhythms of nature. Granpa practiced good stewardship and above all but his Lord, honor in all things. The forum members taught me how to fly fish but it was granpa, who taught me how to enjoy it.

Dave

biggie_robs

Reaction score
My Dad and Grandad taught me how to fish (in Alabama), but I've had to teach myself how to fly-fish (first in Southern ponds and then in the Northeast). I still have a lot to learn about cold water fishing. A LOT.

Edit to say that any tips for Eastern Mass would be welcome.

Cheers,
Rob

Last edited:

jcw355

Reaction score
Never had one to teach me about fly fishing just watched people fish, read some of your guys and gals posts and watched videos. Still do all of those.

Flyfisher for men

Reaction score
I'm essentially self taught when it comes to flyfishing. There were a lot of people who gave pointers and tips along the stream bank.

My mentor who taught me fishing generally is my father. Still sassy and spry at 82.

jaybo41

Reaction score
I was lucky enough to have the likes of Fick, Dette's, Wulff, Dardee, Kreh, and Schreibert as mentors when I was younger.
That's an understatement! Quite an impressive list of mentors there Sandfly.

I learned by trial and error, watching others, reading (forum included) and through guides. I've learned quite a bit from Chi though.

jml43

Reaction score
on the golf course fishing in Charlotte NC
I would have to say my Father is my first Mentor. He took the time to teach his son how to fish the right way. He loves to fish but not as much as me. My grandfather would be my second. He taught me how to make baits and molds for baits a long time ago before he passed. I guess I get that form him. I also make most of baits that I use when I am not fly fishing. Which is not to often. Can't wait to teach my kids and pass on the knowledge that I know.

futuramille

Reaction score
I learn something from every fisherman I meet but my best "mentors" have been the fish themselves.

Many years, loving just being on the water no matter and water clear enough to sight fish both out in Wyoming, Colorado, Montana and down on the clear springs in Florida are the real back bone behind my life long learning curve.

I learned what I don't like while trying my hand at tournament bass fishing in Florida!

All in all, I'm about half as good a fisherman now, as I would like to have been 10 years ago. Here's praying I never get it figured all out because the puzzle of it all is what keeps me doing it.