My new favorite dry fly

Kai

Reaction score
I have a new favorite dry fly.

It has a very long name ("Wilcox's J.C. Special Pheasant Tail")

It is big and ugly, not delicate and elegant, and I can't really see that it matches any hatch I know of. But, aesthetics aside, it really works well.

I originally bought these as strike indicators for when I was fishing a dropper nymph rig. I began getting so many hits on the "indicator" that I began fishing these as stand-alone dry flies.

The fish have been going crazy over these things. I used to tie on a parachute adams as my go-to dry fly. In the relatively fast water I've been fishing lately, these have been working a lot better (probably because the fish can see them better.)
As an added bonus, the big high-vis parachute on these things means that I can see them better too.

tractman

Reaction score
WOW, that is one ugly bug..No wonder the fish try and kill it !!!!!!!!!

Tractman

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Kai,

Very interesting fly. If you are tying them I would try a white post as an alternative. White is a natural appearing color and it might make a good choice. I like to see fly fishers with weird flies. It tells me they are thinking and experimenting. I do hope you bend down that barb before you fish it. Thanks for the picture.

Silver Doc

Reaction score
:tongue: Looks like a girl I used to date in high school. :banned: Very interesting. It may that it represents a buffet of thins trout like. S.D.

BigCliff

Reaction score
:tongue: Looks like a girl I used to date in high school.
Not sure I'd admit to that.

That is a super buggy looking fly alright, and I can see why it would be one that fish would hit with a vengeance. With all that stuff on there, I'd be charging $5 a pop if i was tying and selling them.

peregrines

Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator
Reaction score
Wow, it looks like it was designed by a committee :) it's got something for everyone.

I could see how that would be a killer in fast water. Neat stuff for sure. Thanks for posting.

wjc

Reaction score
Now that's a mean looking bug!

Beady little eyes looking out under those teased bangs and a punk rocker tuft of hair up top. And wearing a glitter-speckled spandex ninja suit besides.

Those trout ain't about to be intimidated by a punk-rocking, breast-stroking ninja bug.

Cheers,
Jim

planettrout

Reaction score
The creator of this pattern, Vince Wilcox, is one of the best innovative tiers around. I have been influenced by quite a number of his creations. His "LGM"...Little Green Machine... is a killer nymph pattern. One can view many of his flies at Flytiers ...and, he has some great bugger patterns in the Autumn 2010 issue of Fly Tyer Magazine...

PT/TB :wavetowel

sevenmxf

Reaction score
I concur, fully - it's a very effective fly here in the Northeast. My son and I have had great luck with Vince Wilcox's flies - especially this one and his para variant. As a matter of fact, I believe my son has only caught trout with Vince's flies. He's a great guide as well. If you're ever up in the Rainbow Lake area north of Saranac Lake, check out his shop!

Cheers!!
Michael

ausablebrown

Reaction score
That is an abomination, but I'd fish with it; However, I just lost a little respect for trout...

You catching hatchers or wilds; what varieties, and conditions?