Tying on a fly

Monello

Reaction score
Do you have a preference to how you tie your fly to the tippet? I don't mean as in knot, I'm talking about do you run the line thru the hook eye from the top or the bottom? The top being the upper part if you were holding the fly with the hook down. The bottom being if you run the line thru from the barb side.

If you have a preference, why?

JoJer

Reaction score
If the hook eye and tippet sizes allow it, I usually tie on with a palomar knot. If the fly is large, bushy or winged, I try to tie on so I'm pushing the fly wings or eye first through the loop so the loop doesn't tangle in the dressing. Other than that, I don't think it makes any difference.

silver creek

Reaction score
Do you have a preference to how you tie your fly to the tippet? I don't mean as in knot, I'm talking about do you run the line thru the hook eye from the top or the bottom? The top being the upper part if you were holding the fly with the hook down. The bottom being if you run the line thru from the barb side.

If you have a preference, why?
I have a preference and it depends on the hook eye.

A straight eye can be entered for either direction but for up and down eye hooks, you enter from the side of the eye that is facing the forward and not "blocked" by material on the hook shank.

For example, for a down eye hook, you enter from the top and an up eye from the bottom. This allows you the best view of the hook eye opening, free from the tie off knot.

swirlchaser

Reaction score
I have a preference and it depends on the hook eye.

A straight eye can be entered for either direction but for up and down eye hooks, you enter from the side of the eye that is facing the forward and not "blocked" by material on the hook shank.

For example, for a down eye hook, you enter from the top and an up eye from the bottom. This allows you the best view of the hook eye opening, free from the tie off knot.
I do it the way SilverCreek does but I'm not sure why. I think most clinch knots will end up the same no matter which way you start from.