Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries

Default Re: knots - which ones do i need to know?

nail knot, surgeons knot, perfection loop and clinch knot are about all i use.

casey

ARFE

Don't know if you've seen this site yet or not but I find it's great for demos of most of the knots: Fishing Knots | How to Tie Fishing Knots | Animated Fishing Knots
    "I cast my hook into a single stream; but my pleasure is as if I owned a kingdom." - Chi K'ang (223-262)

3. Default Re: knots - which ones do i need to know?

Wow , thanks for all the replies guys! Looks like I still have alot to learn.

Time to start practicing my knots!

On the sidebar of the animated knots link (above), there ia a desktop "Learn to Tie Knots" trainer. I was given one for Christmas, and when I got it, I questioned it's usefullness, however now, I find myself useing it during conference calls, down time, or when I just want to sit and think (or relax) for a few minutes... Very thereputic!
    - Rick

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky

I seem to get by with the improved clinch (tippet to fly), the nail knot (line to leader), triple surgeons (tippet to leader) and the simple overhand loop (for loop to loop connections).

Blog Entries

Like Ard said, there are lots of preferences and as you can see lots of good suggestions.

The ones I use in order from spool to fly : Arbor, Perfection Loop, Nail Knot w/ perfection loop (only if I don't have welded loops), Blood Knot, Clinch Knot.

One thing about the perfection loop, I now tie one on the end of my backing and make the loop large enough to pass a spool through. That way I can swap out fly line much easier. Thanks for that tip Chi!

I have a lot of confidence in the Blood Knot and use it on hand tied leaders for trout and steelhead. I like the slim profile.

Here's a helpful reference:

Orvis_Knots
    ~*~Leave only your footprints~*~

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12