Should I buy an Abel Super8?

cw76

Reaction score
Good day, I was hoping to gather some information in regards to the Abel Super 8 series reel, I have a couple of concerns: Firstly I would be pairing it with a 10' 8wt. Z-axis rod; Is the super 8 too heavy? Secondly, I would be using the setup to do some wintertime steelheading and I've heard through the grapevine (whatever that means) that people have had issues with the cork drag system in winter conditions. Thanks, C

russellb

Reaction score
Weight wise that is something that you will want to look at, likely you're golden. As for the drag if kept serviced it will be fine. I have several Abel reels and I absolutely love them, truly beautiful pieces of equipment-

wishiniwerfishin

Reaction score
I realy like my Super 6 and 5, but have heard the same concerns about winter use with Abels, or any cork drag reel. I think as long as your not in freezing temperatures you are ok. As for the weight, I think the a little heavier reel is needed for the longer rods to help not be so tip heavy. My Super 6 is on a Scot S4 956(9'6" 6wt) and the balance is better and is more comfortable than when I have my Bauer MSL2 mounted to it. I'd say if your already looking at Abels, might as well buy one, if not you'll be buying one in the future anyway.....

cw76

Reaction score
I have considered my options and I have decided I will be the proud new owner of an Abel super 8. Thanks for the responses. C:cool:

Sage & Abel

Reaction score
I use my Super 7 in below freezing temps for steelhead and have never had a problem with the cork drag. I've heard the same so no doubt some have had issues. Heck, I've fished a sealed drag Lamson Velocity and had it freeze up on me because the housing froze to the spool so it can happen to reels. Put it this way, when I'm fishing winter steel and the flyline is coated with so much ice its stiff and hard to break off... well I don't care what type of reel you are fishing there will be some issues.

Great purchase.

Cheers,
Mike

throssing

Reaction score
I don't think that you can go wrong with any of the Super Series reels. I have the Super 2, and I love it, even though the drag doesn't get much of a workout on my 4 weight outfit!