Beginner with questions here!

volms22

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I hope a little background will help you guys with suggestions. I've fished for the better part of my life (all casting and spinning). Last year my brother in law got me out fly fishing (once here in Illinois, once in Estes Park Colorado), I picked up quickly and fell in love with it. I want to look into getting a nice rod and reel set up this spring. I have some questions on what you guys feel might be best for me. I live in central Illinois, with close access to the Illinois river, good sized lakes, smaller rivers & streams, and farm ponds. I occasionally make weekend trips to Michigan and Wisconsin to fish as well. I enjoy fishing for crappie, small & large mouth, blue gill, steelhead, brook trout, exc. I am looking into Sage rods, more specifically their Flight series rods, and I'm still not sure on reels (open to suggestions!). I have questions on the amount of sections to a rod. I noticed some are 2 piece rods, while others are 4. Does the amount of sections translate into rods sensitivity and/or more rod flexibility? I am also not very knowledgable on reel manufacturers (who are the good, bad, and ugly). I am looking for rods around the $300 range, with reels obviously moderately priced as well. I don't need the best of the best, as this is my first fly set up. I know it's a long thread, but I appreciate any feedback you guys have to get me started!!!

famill00

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! I think you will find the forum very helpful and informative. I will be the first to chime in with a suggestion. I think that this would be a great fit for you.

Cabela's: R.L. Winston VSL®/Cabela's RLS Fly Combo

This comes with the rod (4 piece), reel, great line, and backing. The price of the 9' 5wt combo is $404, which it seems would be a good fit in your budget. This outfit will be sufficient for years of fly fishing, not just to get you started. Most of the guys here will suggest a 4 piece rod because of the ease of transport. There really is no sensitivity difference between 2 and 4 piece rods.

Hope this helps!

-Forrest

Vans

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. I own a Sage Flight(4pc) and love it. It is my go to trout rod. I put a Bauer reel on mine.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll just say 'welcome to the forum' and let the fella's point you in the right direction. All my stuff is old, and I'm not exactaly a well of info on todays market.

Godd to have you join,

Ard

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
:welcomeanto the forum...;)Agree with Forrest...9' 5wt 4 p...there are many good combos on the market in the $300 range and under...so try some and chose the one you prefer;)

caseywise

Reaction score
welcome to the forum vs.:D
get in touch with allen fly fishing, those guys will set you up:cool:
drop them a pm(they're members here), and you will get some great advice and some outstanding gear at a good price.

casey

throssing

Reaction score
I agree with the suggestions to look at rod/reel packages for their price benefits, and to look at the Allen gear.

Another good source of discounted gear is Sierra Trading Post.

pc40chas

Reaction score
i started out thinking 2 piece was better for some reason, now all my rods(even the ones i build) are all 4 piece. for one reason only, they fit in my truck better. action doesn't change. as for buying a rod buy a well known name brand because of the exceptional warranty and buy it on sale. look around even if its last years model so what. look for unconditional warranty because they don't care how you broke it. its a big investment take your time.

gatortransplant

Reaction score
Another vote for Allen Fly Fishing here, I use their rod and reels and they perform excellently (as well as possessing a spectacular warranty and very, very reasonable prices). Given the increases in technology, it seems for all intents and purposes that 4-piece rods perform (with regard to action) on par with 2- and 3-piece rods.

mbphotos54

Reaction score
another Allen supported here, I got my gear for xmas, after seeing gatortransplants gear, and talking to Justin at Allen online, top notch service. great gear for much less then those high end brands I wont mention. good luck.
Mike

webrx

Reaction score
I own 2 and 4 piece rods, and one 5 piece (switch rod). I personally like the 2 piece rod feel better in a medium or medium fast flex.

However, the 4 piece are nicer for travelling, hide easier in the car, etc. I have had bad experiences in fast action 4 piece rods, and have had tip sections break, could be my casting style, or something else, but, because of this, I wont own a fast action 4 piece. I have never had problems with 4 pice medium or medium fast flex rods.

Used to be there was a significant feel difference, but with modern techniques I am not sure there is anymore between a 2 and 4 piece.

I also agree, get a decent kit, 5 wt is a pretty good all around rod, and the wt I use most frequently on 12 to 24 inch fish. 3 wt works good for smaller fish, bluegills, etc.

d

tbblom

Reaction score
If you get into tight brush, like wading difficult water, or just happen to slip and fall occasionally; A cheap <$150 rod is nice as a backup. Slick cobbled bottom, I usually bring something affordable.
Having a nice rod is like having a nice car, you'll get worried about scratching it.
Having an affordable rod is like driving an old pickup, scratches add character.

9'5wt is very versatile. It has been my go-to setup for the last 3 years on everything from narrow creeks to bigger rivers.
Some people like a light rod for all the little fish.
I like a rod that is ready for the occasional bigger fish, 'over-gunning' does not seem to be a problem where I fish, even with little #24 midges. Also, having a heavier rod will help land fish in fast flowing water, which helps around here.
Have fun!

volms22

Reaction score
Well I had some overtime land in my lap. So, I had a little more money to play with. I ended up going with a 5wt 9' 4pc Sage Flight rod w/ a Ross Flyrise 2 reel. I ended up going with the Sage because of the lifetime warranty, and the Ross reel because I read a lot of good feedback about Ross's products. Now, I'm off to Wisconsin in March to try it out! Thanks for all the help and suggestions everyone!

Vans

Reaction score
Grats on a great rod. I have only one Ross reel, a CLA. It hasnt let me down yet. Let us know how the set up works out.

rapid eddy

Reaction score
Welcome to what i've found to be a class place for info and some really great people that will bend over backwards and try and help ya. We dont always agree but that's what makes the idea of fishing interesting. As to rods, i have a guy build mine for me. Myself i like a smaller rod than most. A novice shouldn't try what i consider a normal day at the creek. I consistantly use a #1 wt rod and catch anything that chooses to bite. My largest is a 7+ lb rainbow. The wife lands the same stuff on the same rod but she does have a great teacher. If i may point you to an unknown rod builder to consider. Very reasonable but very high in quality. I do own the Sage stuff and the bamboo wall hangers but these rods are made to fish and excell in doing so. He makes my design to my specs that we call the "Surgeon Series". No i aint no doctor. I just surgically remove the fish from the streams. Get in touch with Mark Pruitt in Mt Vernon, Mo and let him make ya very happy. You'll find him at RDPflyrods.com. You can thank me later. Tell him Bill sent ya or he will know when ya mention the "Surgeon Series" rod.
Eddy