New Member: Wanting to start, seeking pre-purchase advice

stevensj2

Reaction score
Hi guys/girls,

Great forum you've got here. I've been browsing/lurking the last few days, and have been glad I found this place. (I also apologize if new member threads go elsewhere, I don't mean to keep moderators any busier than they are :p)

I suppose I can't quite say I am new to fly fishing just yet, because I have yet to make a single cast. But I can say I am incredibly excited to start learning.

I plan on picking up a rod/reel combo and some basic flies this weekend, and trying to get out as much as possible.

What I was wondering is if there is anything you would recommend to get, or advise to avoid, when getting started?

The combo I plan on getting is a Cabelas Cahill 5wt. I don't know yet about flies - I'm hoping the staff at the store will be able to point me in the right direction for some that work in the fall; mostly trout, some for bass.

Unfortunately, I don't have super great access to a nice stream/river at most times, but several times a year I do spend a weekend near the Manistee and Muskegon rivers (in Michigan), and I hear they are good locations. They are gorgeous, that I do know.

Thanks in advance - I'm looking forward to learning a lot, and hopefully I can have something to share in return at some point :)

Edit: Doh! I just noticed the member intro. section. Sorry, mods.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Joshua,

Welcome to the forum. You are smart to seek advice before your purchase.

First let me say that I have not cast or even seen the Cabela's Cahill rod. I would be concerned that it may not be much of a rod for 30 bucks. Talk to the salesmen and maybe he will make a recommendation. Buying a real cheap rod and using it for a short time and then upgrading is money wasted. I see you are a young fella and money might be important to you. I would rather see you fishing with a stick than not fishing at all. I am hoping another poster who is familiar with the Cahil rod will give their opinion of the rod.

Cowboy

Reaction score
Welcome to NAFFF. You will find a lot of expertise here. As for Cabela's equipment, I know little. However, if you can wait for a couple of days or have an Orvis store near you, Orvis has some good beginning outfits for less than $100. They have a Streamline, 5 wt. 8"6", midflex that would probably do what you need to begin. Before you purchase anything give their web page a looksee.

bonefish41

Reaction score
Hi guys/girls,

Great forum you've got here. I've been browsing/lurking the last few days, and have been glad I found this place. (I also apologize if new member threads go elsewhere, I don't mean to keep moderators any busier than they are :p)

I suppose I can't quite say I am new to fly fishing just yet, because I have yet to make a single cast. But I can say I am incredibly excited to start learning.

I plan on picking up a rod/reel combo and some basic flies this weekend, and trying to get out as much as possible.

What I was wondering is if there is anything you would recommend to get, or advise to avoid, when getting started?

The combo I plan on getting is a Cabelas Cahill 5wt. I don't know yet about flies - I'm hoping the staff at the store will be able to point me in the right direction for some that work in the fall; mostly trout, some for bass.

Unfortunately, I don't have super great access to a nice stream/river at most times, but several times a year I do spend a weekend near the Manistee and Muskegon rivers (in Michigan), and I hear they are good locations. They are gorgeous, that I do know.

Thanks in advance - I'm looking forward to learning a lot, and hopefully I can have something to share in return at some point :)

Edit: Doh! I just noticed the member intro. section. Sorry, mods.
J..
I second Frnk's retort...I noticed your "through the lens" reference if that's your profession...serious avocation...then I doubt your lens/box is a walmart throw a way...flyfishing deserves similar treatment...first you are in a fly state....go to one of the old time fly shops...take lessons...then buy from them to get started..yes it might cost initially a bit more but long haul not so...start with an excellent rod and it will last a lifetime...just like fine glass...my 28 1.4 AF nikkor will and has last a lifetime

stevensj2

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies!

I will definitely check out the Orvis options. In the last week I've been visiting almost every fly fishing website I could come across, and Orvis was a name I saw often; it was also something I began to associate with very very pricey - but if they've got beginner outfits, I'm definitely interested.

I had found a 2-day class they had in northern Michigan, and although it won't be something I could attend this year, I'm really looking forward to it, or an alternative, for next year.

Thanks again, I really do appreciate it. I will be trying to do as much reviewing as possible before any purchases.

I wish I had started this venture back in the spring. After buying books for school, I'm sure my wallet would have some choice words for me if it knew I was up to more spending :eek:

dogger

Reaction score
I purchased one of these cheap combo's and while it worked the casting was not great....might have had something to do with me.

As far as Cabela's, their combos are pretty good for the money, they will come with all the backing line, fly line you'll need and a leader. I used the folks at Cabela's to bounce ideas off of and ended up purchasing what I currently fish with. I think the cheapest was around $75.

The one thing I have read is that most combos come with very cheap line and that is one of the biggest things in fly fishing, good line. I know Cabela's puts a weight forward line on their combos, which should help your casting.

Now might not be a bad time to come to the sport, end of season, close-outs and sales should abound in the sporting good stores, including fly fishing stores.

The best thing you can do is research, ask a bunch of question and then look around. One week after I purchased my outfit, a co-worker showed up with a Temple Fork 6/7 wt with case and all the line, etc and was asking around $100. I of course, just purchased a 6/7 wt so it was of no use to me.....check ebay if you know what you want.

hardhat

Reaction score
I have found that if you visit a Cabela's they will put together special pricing for you if the rod, reel, line and backing is purchased at the same time. Temple Fork has the NXT combo that is a good value. The blank used on the rod is the same as used in the TFO professional series. If you are truely going to make the step do not throw good money after bad, try to get the best equipment you can afford. If possible get a lesson and try some of the rods in the shop. There are many helpful and knowledgable people on this sight. Good luck

ezamora

Reaction score
josh, you have to stop giving away those freebie web design jobs! :)

that caelas combo you mentioned will catch fish, but you might try, like others ave said, to look into other options. personally, for me, tat "graphite" reel seat would turn me off. there are many on a fly discussion list who actually really like the cabelas three forks rod. hard to beat the price. pesonally, i went for a temple fork outfitters professional rod for my first and have had no remorse.

the cabelas combos do lack in the line department. my buddy bought a cabelas stowaway combo and they threw in the cheap line. cabelas prestige plus lines are much nicer. there are a few relatively good inexpensive lines out there as options to the premium $60-$65 price range most recommend, and it's true, the line is very important. but a nice $35-$50 line works pretty good too.

my buddy's stowaway combo also included a cabela's prestige reel. yuch thought i. too chintzy for me. again, there are nice options out there. an orvis battenkill is something i recommend often and at $79 a good value. maybe $89 for the mid size reel.

this is a good time to start shopping around like another said. many closeouts abound in the coming months. you mentioned this weekend and i know the feeling, but if you can borrow first, patience may pay off.

bonefish41... i still LOVE my nikkor AIS 24/1.4! and 28/2.0 and 34/1.4... i shoot canon now for work but i dearly miss my nikons.

eric
fresno, ca.

hardhat

Reaction score
stevensj2 -- If you are looking into some used equipment try the local Craigs List web sight. I have bought and sold equipment on this sight before. If you find something of interest you can always solicit more advise on this sight.

stevensj2

Reaction score
Thanks again everyone, I'm finding your opinions/advice to be very helpful.

I did look into the TFO options, and some of them look very appealing.
This rod is one I was interested in:
Temple Fork Outfitters Lefty Kreh Signature Series Fly Rods

Though I would like to purchase a combo; I don't want to complicate things and get into this reel vs that reel, lines, leaders, etc.

These outfits also looked interesting:
Temple Fork Outfitters NXT Outfits

The price is a little higher than I'd like for my very first set up, but if the quality is substantially better and this is a sport that I will really enjoy, I can see it being worth the extra $$. Their lifetime warranty seems like a great deal, as well.

Does anyone have any expirience, comments/opinions about the TFO products?

I also plan on getting a 5wt (maybe 6wt) rod. What sort of length should I look into?

I will mostly use it for trout in streams/rivers when I get the chance, but I also forsee some bass/bluegill fishing when the oppertunity arrises.

Thanks again everyone, the help has been really great!

Joni

Reaction score
I am going to sai the TFO Pro in a 5wt and a 9 footer. That is a great all around rod. Cork is good and guides are just fine. Try maybe a Pflueger reel (I love the $25. one, good classic look) Reel will be probably your least to worry about. Then maybe a Cortland 333 but again I will say the 444 is a better choice. You really need to swing a few rods to find what flex will suit you and make the learning easier.
A Warranty would be a good thing also for beginners. Something that not all Cabela rods offer.

Flyfisher for men

Reaction score
I'll go in a different direction from a lot of the other posts.

Based on angler remarks made streamside and Cabela's fine reputation, that Cahill should get you going. There are better rods, but that should get you fishing OK if your budget's tight. Anytime I've bought Cabela's products, I ended up with something functional and feeling like I got my money's worth.

I use a lower end Cabela's rod myself--it works well enough. I would think the Cahill would be OK, too. Someone with a $600 dollar stick is going to outperform you for sure, all other things being equal, but so long as your rod's not absolute junk and can get the fly out there, your skills like knowing fish habits, presentation, stealth, patience, etc. will mean much, much more.

Let me digress off topic to give a lesson. You can be a bad athlete but a good golfer. I'm a terrible athlete with bad coordination, but can beat my two brothers at golf--and they are both superb athletes--one holds a black belt and the other a championship wrestler. They both can pick flies out of the air. They also have much more income then I do and can spend tons of money on the latest golf technology.

The reason I can beat them is that long ago I realized that a bad athlete with unspectacular equipment can do well at golf if he simplifies his swing so that there's little that can go wrong with it, practices putting and chipping constantly because that's where one most easily lowers their score, and never gets frustrated or forgets to consider where to put the shot so the next one is most easily played. My brothers have solid games and hit many more spectacular shots than I do. They're not entirely consistent, though, and inevitably suffer a golfing disaster. That's why I overtake them.

How does this apply to fly fishing? If you're forced to use mediocre equipment, so long as it is functional, you can succeed by learning to make a simple, repeatable cast that can hit where you're aiming every time. If you can focus on that and things like learning to sneak up on fish, learning how to make presentations, learning where a fish is most likely to be, etc. you are in business. Fisherman who do this can compensate for not having top of the line equipment. They can find fish within their range or position themselves to get at them. Flyfishing is about getting the right fly in the right water consistently, and what fly rod you're waving around is only one of the variables in doing it. A savvy fisherman can often overcome the rod's shortcomings.

stevensj2

Reaction score
Thanks a lot, Flyfisher for men. Solid advice.

I'm not a stranger to fishing, and have had several baitcasters and spinning reels in these 22 years. As I got older and began getting my own income, I started buying fancier, more expensive equipment. Along the lines of what you're saying, this new equipment has never once yeilded me any more fish than the previous "junk." It made certain techniques easier, more comfortable..but in this case, better tools did not equal more fish.

So I think you're right. As long as I get a 'decent' rod/reel and focus as much as possible on technique and learning (flies, equipment, casting, river ecology, fish behavior, etc), I think I might do alright. :D

Another bit of good news is that there was some discussion of starting a Flyfishing Club at school (I study Fisheries and Wildlife at Michigan State), so that would be exciting. School just started, but I've already been meeting others who fly fish, so I am very excited to dive into this sport and learn from others.

Thank you all so much. This forum and its members have been a real blessing; without this kind of info, I would have been reeeaaallly lost in a sport that seems, to me, very mystical and complex.

bonefish41

Reaction score
If you are going to buy Cabelas and get close enough to Dundee try the Cabelas store and check out the store's bargain cave...you can find low prices at the in store "cave" more so than on line...got a shimano 200 GT TE at the Dundee store for $175 instead of $340.00 all it had was a slightly bent handle which was easily straightened

stevensj2

Reaction score
I ended up going to Cabela's this morning, and looked at some selections they had.

I found a Cabela's Genesis combo, which also included a case, fly kit, leader, floatant, strike indicators, etc.

It is a 6wt 9' 4pc rod w/ 5wt line and a 5x leader.

Because the packaging indicated it was a 5wt rod, and this is what I was looking for, I believe I will be returning it. I will most likely still get the same type of combo, just with a 5wt rod.

It was already spooled with line, so I did give it a few casts. I can say with great confidence... I've got a lot of learning yet to do!

The line seemed very lightweight, and difficult to cast (for me). Some of my problems included the line coming back and hitting the pole, or tangling up with itself. But hopefully I can iron that out with more time/experience and instruction from a flyfisher w/ some time on their hands lol.

I'll keep you all updated on what I return w/, and how my casting and learning goes. I'm still looking forward to all of the fun :frogdance

hardhat

Reaction score
When you go back to Cabela's look into purchasing a improve your fly casting video. Also I beleive that the Full Creel has a book which you can download called "Cast like a Pro". Cabela's has free seminars where the basics of fly casting are taught. Check with them to see when the next class would be scheduled. Good luck and ENJOY

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi stevensj2,

I am glad to see you didn't get the Cahill rod. The Genesis should be a much better rod. You can see that learning for a beginner can be a real experience. Having a rod you know works eliminates that problem from your learning curve. Did Cabela's have any Tempo Fork rods for you to look at?

You are smart to return the 6wt rod with a 5wt line. Too light of a line can be more of a problem than a line that is a little heavy. Keep us posted on your fly casting adventures.

stevensj2

Reaction score
I returned the Cabela's rod this evening, and came back home with a TFO Signature 1 5wt rod combo. It cost me about $30 extra, but I think it was a worthy investment.

I already like the feel of this rod much better, and the practice casts I was doing seemed to feel better too; whether that is imagined or actual, I really don't know.

But overall, I am much happier now.

I also picked up a 14pc trout fly kit, and will hopefully be fishing the Manistee river in a little over a week.

One thing that the gentlemen who set up my combo for me did was that he tied a real small loop at the end of the fly line - he said it would make changing leaders much easier. This is something I haven't came across or read about yet. Any info on this?

Thanks again everyone. I can't tell you how grateful I am.

Hopefully my next posts will involve fish :)

-- Josh

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Josh,

Here is a link to a thread dealing with the fly line to leader connection. It should answer your questions. The small piece of mono with a loop is a pretty standard method of connecting your leader to the fly line. It is not as necessary as it use to be as most good fly lines offered today have a loop built into the fly line. There is also the option of making your own loop using the end of the fly line.

stevensj2

Reaction score
When I got home from work today, I tied a small piece of yarn to some a light-weight length of mono (haven't attached my leader yet), and practiced some casts for about an hour.

Slowly but surely I think I'm seeing a little progress. Every now and again I'll get a cast that works out like I wanted, and I can't help but smile a little bit when that happens.

After trying to hit random targets for a while, I noticed a couple things which, try as I might, I wasn't able to understand or correct.

1) Before I make the cast, I pull out the length of line I intend my cast to be. Is this correct, or can I strip line from the reel during casting to increase its length?

2) When I've almost got all the line I've strung out casted, the last 3 or so feet, the length I usually "release", would often want to come up and wrap itself over top of the lower portion of my rod. To get my line to freely flow from my left hand straight out along my rod, is that an action involving the left hand, or something that comes with mastering the rod movement?

3) At the end of practicing, I noticed my right thumb slowly developing a blister. When I first noticed, I loosened my grip on the rod a lot, but the looser I held it, the more it seemed likely to make a blister. Is this common?

I do have a beginner's DVD that I've watched twice, and I try the exercises they go through, but it seems the art of mastering a cast comes down to subtle things one really can't pick up from a DVD.

I think maybe this week I will see if some of the guys in one of my classes would like to practice some casts at school, and I might be able to get some help there.

Overall though, even though I don't have it down yet, I notice little things that I've improved on and I think I've definitely found a new favorite past time - which might worry me a bit, as I haven't even casted into water yet lol :)