Well, I get a new rod!

Matttrick

Reaction score
Yes, I was asking about rods a little while back. I went with TFO since they're the hometown crew. I bought the 8'9" Finesse 4wt and WOW, what a rod! It is soooo smooth and I can actually cast with it. It made me realize how reasonably decent my cast was and how crappy my old rod was. I love that I bearly have to flick it and it loads cleanly and my line unrolls beautifully. And if I do want to put anything on it, I can cast it 60+ ft easily, more than enough for it's intended purpose. Oh, and it roll casts like a dream! I'm sold, I'll probably buy a TFO 8wt next for the coast, and for big bass fishing. This 4wt I've been catching bluegills and perch on it. I'm going to try trout fishing on it once it gets a little cooler down here.

To all those who provided it, thanks for the feedback on my rod related questions!

-Matt

BigCliff

Reaction score
Sounds like its a great fit for you. My favorite and most used rod is very similar, glad to know there's a similar affordable option out there.

digitalbiker

Reaction score
Glad to hear the new rod helps with your casting and enjoyment of the sport!

This makes me wonder if I need to pull the trigger on buying new equipment as well. I moved to Durango,CO. a little over a year ago and I have always been a spinning reel fisherman.

Anyway last year, I decided I needed to get in on the fun of fly fishing. So I bought a cheap <$75.00 rod/reel/line combo fly fishing outfit from Walmart. I have enjoyed learning on this outfit but now that I have a little more knowledge and experience I think it would be worthwhile to invest in a better outfit.

Right now I am eyeing the Sage Fli 490-4, 9' 4wt. combo with the 1830 reel. After reading your post I am even more excited about possibly getting more out of the lighter weight better rod quality for trout fishing here in Durango.

Anybody have recommendations for equipment?

I am still a fly fishing novice. I can cast well enough to catch fish. I primarily trout fish the smaller streams close to home (Pine, Florida, Vallecito creek) but also like to fish in Lemon and Vallecito Reservoirs, as well as the San Juan River.

hardhat

Reaction score
You have two excellent rod manufacturers in CO. Scott Rods are made in Montrose, Co. and Elkhorn rods are made in Longmont. Some of the Ross reels also are machined in CO. You may check with the two rod makers to see if you might be able to pick up something in their outlet store.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
I'll probably buy a TFO 8wt next for the coast, and for big bass fishing.

Hi Matt,

If you are going to get a TFO 8wt for the coast I would recommend the TiCr. It has a faster action than the Professional and should be a good choice for a first time 8wt. TiCr X is also a good choice but it has a pretty fast action.

philthy

Reaction score
Hey Digitalbiker,

If you're looking at Sage, you may be interested in the SLT. Cabelas has them on clearance right now, but they're going fast.

Cabela's -- Sage SLT Series Medium-Fast Action Fly Rods

I'm sure there's other places that have them on sale as well, probably even locally. If you're gonna spend 295 on a Fli, it's not that great a leap for the SLT at 200 off retail. I have a 3 wt 8'9" 5 pc and a 5 wt 8'6" 2 pc and love 'em both dearly. Better yet, check your local shops and test cast one. I used my 3 wt on the Juan last month and had a blast with it - that's now my go-to rod for Da Juan.

Phil

BigCliff

Reaction score
Those SLT's are really sweet rods. A little faster than I think is ideal for most trout fishing, but they're not nearly as fast as Sage's XP rods. That was their best selling series ever, so I guess I'm just a weirdo.