2 piece vs 4 piece fly rods

colin272

Reaction score
Need some help I have been looking into getting a new 4wt rod. The other day I went to bass pro and all they had were 4 piece rods. The guy told me there was no difference between a 4 piece and a 2 piece rod. I don't know how true that is I have only owned 2 piece rods so I am turning to you guys for help. I have really only owned bass pro cheap rods and I have one reddington that I love. So I'm not sure what brand I wana go with so any help would b great help I'm thinking a 9ft 4wt.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
As far as I'm concerned, the only difference between a 2 and a 4 piece rod is the 4 piece has more sections that can break or get lost :eek:
It took me a while to warm up to the 4 piece myself and I haven't bought a 2 piece rod since... well, since about noon today :rolleyes:

caseywise

Reaction score
hey colin,

10 years ago 4 piece rods were not very common and 2 piece rods were the norm. the reason being that the 4 piece rods lacked in feel and sensitivity of the 2 piece.

now days, as technology has advanced, most rods are 4 piece and for a good reason. the fit of todays 4 piece rods is way beyond the fit of the ones from a decade or so ago, not so these days.
another big reason is traveling. nobody wants to pay 25 bucks or whatever stupid cost to put their 2" diameter fly rod tube on a plane:eek:
so in a nutshell- if your traveling or are cramped for space-go 4 piece. it wont effect the action of the rod at all:)

casey

gatortransplant

Reaction score
People with more experience will know better than me, but many people say that today's technology means that most 4 pieces will perform comparably to 2 piece rods. The difference, were it to be noticeable, would be in the rod's action. I have 3 4-pieces, and even with the mid flexes I have not noticed any interruptions in the flex. Plus the rods travel well!

And I'm late to the party with my response :p

Brewmaster

Reaction score
Used to be that a 2-piece rod provided some level of better "feel" than a 4-piece due to less joints (e.g. - less potential "flat spots"). However, with today's graphite and rod forming technology there is essentially no difference in rod feel, flex, or handling between a 4-pc or 2-pc rod. Most rods tend to be manufactured as 4-pc rods more for convinience these days, as it is simply easier to transport (in a car or plane) a smaller 4-pc rod rather than the longer 2-pc rod. That being said, there are still a few folks who swear by 2-pc rods because there are simply less pieces to watch for (like Rip) or less joints to come apart when casting. I have both 2-pc and 4-pc rods and have never been able to tell the difference.

pegboy1

Reaction score
4 peice rods are all I have anymore!! Love em. Toss them in the back of the car or back of my explorer and never worry about them taking up too much room. Did I mention I always carry a couple of fly rods in my truck at all times? You never know when a river, or park for that matter calls....

Brewmaster

Reaction score
4 peice rods are all I have anymore!! Love em. Toss them in the back of the car or back of my explorer and never worry about them taking up too much room. Did I mention I always carry a couple of fly rods in my truck at all times? You never know when a river, or park for that matter calls....
Interesting that the only rod I ALWAYS leave in the back seat of my truck is one of the few 2-pc rods I own. Long rod tubes are easy to fit crossways in a full-size truck!

mojo

Reaction score
My LT 5wt. Is a 5 pc. You can't tell the difference either. Go for a 4 pc.

webrx

Reaction score
Maybe it is just me, but I won't buy a fast flex rod in a 4 piece - they don't work for me and I have broken two in the top section right above the ferrule.

Medium flex, and even medium fast flex feel ok in a 4 piece. But favorite rods are still 2 piece - they just feel smoother to me.

I do not own 4, 5 or 600 dollar rods though so maybe that is where the advances technology are more apparent.

sorry, don't mean to be a naysayer, but that is my experience.

d

stimulator2

Reaction score
I have a si xpiece rod that has very good action to it .Ihave owned many 2piece rods and with todays rods i will never own anythind but 4piece again easy to pack.

dhayden

Reaction score
I have mostly 4 piece rods.. easier if you fly, etc.. I was looking to get a 2 piece 10' rod just for steelhead.. I won't be flying with it (I have a 4 peice if I needed to), and less sections to put togther and keep tight = less issues for me

pegboy1

Reaction score
Maybe it is just me, but I won't buy a fast flex rod in a 4 piece - they don't work for me and I have broken two in the top section right above the ferrule.

Medium flex, and even medium fast flex feel ok in a 4 piece. But favorite rods are still 2 piece - they just feel smoother to me.

I do not own 4, 5 or 600 dollar rods though so maybe that is where the advances technology are more apparent.

sorry, don't mean to be a naysayer, but that is my experience.

d
Interesting. Never heard of breakage like that before. Loose ferrules maybe?

lightline

Reaction score
I hate 4 piece rods because there's three ferrules to put together and line up each time instead of one. Three times the effort to take apart, and one usually sticks a little hard. Four pieces to hope stay together on the cast. Plus, they just look crappy, like 4 pocket fisherman's glued together or something.;) I'm too old school I guess.

HOWEVER, I do own 4 of them for air travel, despite their misgivings. They fit inside my one checked bag, protected and concealed in their cases, and are very convenient. They seem to cast about the same, though I have 2-piece rods I use that are not available in 4-piece for comparison. The 4-piece rods work though, and are popular because they do work.

For strictlly air travel convenience, I'll probably buy more. For home and road trips not involving airplanes, two-piece all the way.

fishnskiguy

Reaction score
I finally broke down and bought a four piece rod two years ago when I got an Orvis Helios, which are only available in four piece. I must say it casts like a dream and I would never guess it has four ferrell. Says a lot for modern technology.

In my bamboo rods, I definitely prefer two piece. The extra metal ferrell affects the action much more that a graphite rod with a graphite ferrell.

Chris

mojo

Reaction score
I hate 4 piece rods because there's three ferrules to put together and line up each time instead of one. Three times the effort to take apart, and one usually sticks a little hard. Four pieces to hope stay together on the cast. Plus, they just look crappy, like 4 pocket fisherman's glued together or something.;) I'm too old school I guess.

HOWEVER, I do own 4 of them for air travel, despite their misgivings. They fit inside my one checked bag, protected and concealed in their cases, and are very convenient. They seem to cast about the same, though I have 2-piece rods I use that are not available in 4-piece for comparison. The 4-piece rods work though, and are popular because they do work.

For strictlly air travel convenience, I'll probably buy more. For home and road trips not involving airplanes, two-piece all the way.
I have never been bothered by that (putting multiple pieces together).
I take the tip top and 2nd section and put them together, then the butt and middle (for a 4 pc.) and then put the 2 sections together. Pretty much the same for the LT. save for one extra piece. And putting witness marks helps if you don't have them on already. Winston hates to put them on.

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
All of my older rods are 2 piece rods. All of my newer rods are either 3 or 4 piece rods. I use the 3 and 4 piece rods the most because it is easier to lug them around. There is no harm in action, no more likelyhood of breakage, or loss of distance in casting. In fact I think your less likey to bust them just because they break down to a less snaggy, door blocking size. I'd get the 4 piece.

fyshstykr

Reaction score
I'll add to what Casey has mentioned as far as "sensitivity and feel".
When the 3 and 4 piece rods came into the market they did not cast as well as a 2 piece rod, since then changes have been made and it's not nearly as noticeable in today's multi piece rods.
As for myself....I'm an old school guy and still prefer a 2 piece rod, but there are a few 3 and 4 piece rods entering the fold and I'll be giving them a fair shot when needed.

Sage & Abel

Reaction score
I hate two piece rods. PITA to travel with and I can't lock them in the trunk. That said, I have a couple. If I had my preference, all rods would be 4/5 piece sticks. Never noticed a problem with the performance of a 4 piece stick. But I've also never fished the same rod in a 2 piece vs 4 piece rod to be able to do an apples to apples comparison of the same rod line in different piece formats.

steeliemark

Reaction score
This is my first post on the forums here so, Hi-
I have and use both 2 and four piece rods. All of my older rods are two piece, and at the time, they were better casting rods than the four piece rods I tried. And I have to say, when conditions dictate stouter stuff- sinking lines and heads for streamers, chuckin' and duckin', shooting heads, windy days- I reach for my two piece rods, I'm more confident in putting some muscle into them.
And what everybody says here is true, the current four to six piece rods are a HUGE improvement from what they used to be.