Night fishing ?

luckypt

Reaction score
Ive never night fished before but going to try next weekend. My question is, can i get away with using heavier line at night or will i need to stick with what i know works. If it helps, im going to be fishing the current river in missouri where i usually use 6 or 7x tippet. Thanks for any imput

L

Liphookedau

Incidently I've just came home from Night Fishing at our Local Lake,it's 12.03 am our time,I would advise using your normal Setup,also experiment with larger Leaders which will help prevent Wind Knots which always seem to turn up in the dark when you are not expecting them.
Sometimes you go ages without a Wind Knot then suddenly you might get 1 or 2 in a night which is really a pain as they can cause you to loose fish.
Also we are lucky we don't have bears in our Country.
Brian.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Personally I almost never use 7x and use 6x only when absolutely necessary so take from this what you will.

When you're trout fishing at night, you're targeting the largest fish around and they can't see any better than you can.
4x would be the lightest I would attempt but most likely I'd start with 3x and be wondering if that's too light also

BigCliff

Reaction score
I definitely think you're safe bumping up your tippet, especially since tiny flies are kind of a waste of time at night.

Some advice: You know how its harder to see stuff at night? Bear in mind that you're going to be sending a sharp hook past your eyes over and over, flying through the air at over 30mph.

Safety glasses are a GREAT idea.

cw76

Reaction score
There was a really informative article in one of the fly fishing magazines not all that long ago...."Big trout at night" or something like that. Anyway the author discusses fishing at night and covers fly selection for different light conditions at night; moon, clear, black..etc. and also goes over the fishes nighttime feeding habits. I remember the article being very interesting read. I'll try and find the issue, but in I can't find it maybe some else can chime in. C

Last edited:

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
As Cliff already mentioned, be sure to wear safety glasses when fishing at night. This guy was very lucky he didn't loose an eye:

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I used to fish at night because the lore had it that this is when the big browns are out and about. While I don't dispute the 'out and about' thing, I found that I was happier in the very early morning beginning about 45 minutes before dawn. I've caught a lot of nice trout by the dawns early light but never broke any records.

Generally you would be using a streamer fly at night or early dawn and you should be using a 10 pound leader at the very least if size is what you're after. The whole concept is finding bigger, night feeding fish so don't go messing around with a 6X leader and nymphs.

Ard

tbblom

Reaction score
Only fished at night a few times.

personal best (so far...), 24", around 12:30am on a full moon.

on 5x with this:

BigCliff

Reaction score
Only fished at night a few times.

personal best (so far...), 24", around 12:30am on a full moon...[/IMG]

on 5x with this:...
And there we have a fine example of a truism from Gary LaFontaine-

"When you start underestimating fish, you're asking for trouble."

cw76

Reaction score
For what it's worth the article "Night Moves" appeared in the Oct. 2011 edition of American Angler. Very informative 6 pg. article with pics of the fly patterns, detailed descriptions of leader construction and pretty much all things night fly fishing for trout; When your "workin on you're night moves". :starwars:

mbphotos54

Reaction score
I picked up a glow thread furled leader for doing this maybe.. but mostly for trying to photograph the light trail.. I used to night fish with spin gear years ago, it was always fun. working off feel alone is something else for sure.

gatortransplant

Reaction score
I'm going to tie up a number of mouse patterns for topwater night-fishing around here. Can't wait til it starts warming up and the fish start moving around more...

And how about this for a streamer that pushes some water... that's a standard pint glass behind it:

Tied by a friend's father, for chasing musky and tearing rotator cuffs when attempting to cast it.

lancer09

Reaction score
Night fishing is an absolute blast, and the current does hold some good fish.

Contrary to popular belief it isn't just big fish that feed at night. Last summer I night fished on taney a couple nights a week and caught as many small fish as big ones.

Line isnt as important ay night but it still is. I fish six pound mono AT night and have yet to break a fish off. Also flies don't have to be large or push a ton of water, I have yet to find a fly that out fishes a simple size eight pine squirrel leach. There is a picture of it down in the streamers thread.

The surprise aspect is part of the fun of night fishing, you just never know what you have hooked. I always fish on the swing, takes can be vicious or just light taps that feel a little out of place.
You won't be able to go wrong with a bunny leech, or hibernator, or a slump buster, add weight as neededor a
Don't be afraid to use your light, I don't think it bothers fish as much as people au, I've had to use it to watch my fly line tick at the end of my rod before to notice strikes and still caught plenty of fish.

Night fishing really isn't that hard, but fish areas you know and don't wade any deeper than you have to, I've had some super close calls stepping off rocks I didn't know I was on.

Be careful, but it is a ton of fun and report back!

Last edited:

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm going to tie up a number of mouse patterns for topwater night-fishing around here. Can't wait til it starts warming up and the fish start moving around more...

And how about this for a streamer that pushes some water... that's a standard pint glass behind it:

Tied by a friend's father, for chasing musky and tearing rotator cuffs when attempting to cast it.
AJ: Speaking of mouse patterns, have you had a chance to watch "Eastern Rises"? Frank Smethurst was using what he called the "Hemroidal Mouse" that looked really interesting. Here is a video of Frank tying that pattern but you will note that on this video he didn't add the foam that he used on the patterns in Russia.

Fly Tying Videos | Mouse Fly Patterns Recipes